Maybe I missed something- no chocolate milk in schools?

Options

Replies

• Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle to myself at a generation of kids raised on chocolate milk in schools, now banning it for their own kids.

I used to drink chocolate milk with my lunch fairly often when I was in elemntary school. I had no idea how much sugar was in it. I assumed it was healthy because the school was serving it.

I drank it too because it was so sweet!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Removing chocolate milk as an option is idiotic. Now those kids who would only drink chocolate milk won't drink anything. Did you know that the student HAS to pick up a milk product (even if they are lactose intolerant) when they buy the school lunch? So not only will kids not drink the milk but it will be wasted as well. Good job, government officials!!

This isn't true in our neck of the woods. In my kids' elementary school, they have a choice of 2% milk, chocolate milk, bottled water, and juice drink (This is the one that ticks me off - For pete's sake, at least make it pure juice. The kids don't know they're grabbing juice flavored corn syrup. I know this, because many kids have told me they're drinking delicious, healthy juice.). They're allowed to take 2 - any 2.

So my hunch is, this is a local thing. Could be your school board, could even be the meal providers. Let's not forget that in today's USA, most school meals are provided by companies that are hired by the school board. You may want to contact the food service provider and raise a little Holy Hell with them first, then go up the government chain.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle to myself at a generation of kids raised on chocolate milk in schools, now banning it for their own kids.

I used to drink chocolate milk with my lunch fairly often when I was in elemntary school. I had no idea how much sugar was in it. I assumed it was healthy because the school was serving it.

I drank it too because it was so sweet!

I definitely knew it had more sugar than regular milk, but I don't think I would have believed it had almost as much sugar as a Snickers bar. Had I know that I might have thought, damn,, can I just have a Snickers instead of milk?
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm also in CT and from what I've seen on Facebook a lot of parents are really butthurt about it.

I don't see the problem. In my opinion chocolate milk should be a treat, not something you have with lunch every day. If your kids refuse to drink anything else that's due to lazy parenting, isn't it? And of course you can give them a nice, big glass of chocolate milk when they get home if you like.

I'm pretty surprised that people are blaming the schools for the fact that their kids are throwing away perfectly good food.

At most school, kids are required to pick up everything in the lunch line knowing that they wont eat it. So throwing food away is the parents fault?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This entire thread reaffirms my decision my senior year of college to ditch teaching and become a graphic designer :drinker:
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    It's just prejudice: White milk builds strong body's and teeth; Chocolate milk is bad for you.
    Frosted flakes are "great" but you're koo-koo if you like coco puffs.
    White rice is fine; but once it gets dark, they call it "wild" or "dirty" rice.
    They keep the green olives in jars where every body can see them; but the black olives have to be locked up in a can!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Removing chocolate milk as an option is idiotic. Now those kids who would only drink chocolate milk won't drink anything. Did you know that the student HAS to pick up a milk product (even if they are lactose intolerant) when they buy the school lunch? So not only will kids not drink the milk but it will be wasted as well. Good job, government officials!!

This isn't true in our neck of the woods. In my kids' elementary school, they have a choice of 2% milk, chocolate milk, bottled water, and juice drink (This is the one that ticks me off - For pete's sake, at least make it pure juice. The kids don't know they're grabbing juice flavored corn syrup. I know this, because many kids have told me they're drinking delicious, healthy juice.). They're allowed to take 2 - any 2.

So my hunch is, this is a local thing. Could be your school board, could even be the meal providers. Let's not forget that in today's USA, most school meals are provided by companies that are hired by the school board. You may want to contact the food service provider and raise a little Holy Hell with them first, then go up the government chain.

I graduated high school in 2007 and we were required to take a milk before the wonderful lunch ladies would let us even leave the line. Most of it ended up in the trash while everyone went back up and bought an iced tea or something else.
  • Platform_Heels
    Options
    I'm also in CT and from what I've seen on Facebook a lot of parents are really butthurt about it.

I don't see the problem. In my opinion chocolate milk should be a treat, not something you have with lunch every day. If your kids refuse to drink anything else that's due to lazy parenting, isn't it? And of course you can give them a nice, big glass of chocolate milk when they get home if you like.

I'm pretty surprised that people are blaming the schools for the fact that their kids are throwing away perfectly good food.

At most school, kids are required to pick up everything in the lunch line knowing that they wont eat it. So throwing food away is the parents fault?

In a way though it is. When I was a kid they posted the weekly menu in the news paper. My mom and I went through and picked out what appealed to me for a hot lunch and those were the days I didn't brown bag it. I don't have kids so I don't know whether or not they still do that but I never had a lunch that I didn't eat there. But then again I think the food that was served back when I was in elementary school was slightly better than it is now. Although I did get yelled at once from one of the lunch ladies because I wanted to eat my vanilla pudding before my meal. :( I got told I couldn't do that. :(
  • Platform_Heels
    Options
    It's just prejudice: White milk builds strong body's and teeth; Chocolate milk is bad for you.
    Frosted flakes are "great" but you're koo-koo if you like coco puffs.
    White rice is fine; but once it gets dark, they call it "wild" or "dirty" rice.
    They keep the green olives in jars where every body can see them; but the black olives have to be locked up in a can!

:laugh:
  • nilbogger
    Options

If it's happening all the time, yes. Or if you like, you can blame the kids for being picky.
  • Miss_XVX
    Miss_XVX Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Just in case you meant my post: I wasn't blaming the schools, I was blaming the parents. :-)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

I believe that they HAVE to take two if they buy lunch. I might be wrong about that but my husband and I attended a school breakfast with some of our kids and we were told that our kids HAD to pick two. Just stupid. Because one of my kids is lactose intolerant and he can't drink a water and juice. (I can't even drink a water and a juice in the time that's allotted for lunch.) It's just wasteful in my opinion.

And lumping all the kids that throw out the milk into families with lazy parenting is silly. Decades ago, when I was in school, I would only drink chocolate milk. If I was going to school these days, I'd be throwing out the mandatory plain milk as well. (I grew up on a dairy farm and the school milk tasted absolutely revolting to me.)
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    To me the whole federal nutrition guideline is a load of crap. We've got kids in high school athletics programs that are being held to the same calorie restrictions as a non-athlete. My daughter was on varsity swim team and water polo and by the time she got home from school she'd be ravenous. We've been moving our youngest over to brown bag lunches because he's not eating like he should. The things he used to buy for lunch they don't serve anymore and now he's buying ala carte junk because he doesn't like what they are offering. Some days he'd skip lunch because nothing appealed at all. The lunch program isn't teaching him healthy eating habits at all. (Nor should it, that responsibility belongs to the parents)

I never thought I'd miss my school lunches. When I was growing up they were actually prepared by the cafeteria workers and not pulled out of the freezer and just heated up. Thick bread-like pizza slices were the best. (Fridays) There was turkey and noodles, fresh biscuits... Lots of good stuff. :)
  • nilbogger
    Options

In a way though it is. When I was a kid they posted the weekly menu in the news paper. My mom and I went through and picked out what appealed to me for a hot lunch and those were the days I didn't brown bag it. I don't have kids so I don't know whether or not they still do that but I never had a lunch that I didn't eat there. But then again I think the food that was served back when I was in elementary school was slightly better than it is now. Although I did get yelled at once from one of the lunch ladies because I wanted to eat my vanilla pudding before my meal. :( I got told I couldn't do that. :(

I think my parents used to do that with my sister, too, because she was so picky.
  • nilbogger
    Options

Just in case you meant my post: I wasn't blaming the schools, I was blaming the parents. :-)

No, not your post. I've seen a few articles and Facebook comments where parents are doing this.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I work at a high school with over 1,500 students. We have Fat-Free White, Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry milk, plus skim milk. Students may choose water, sugarfree tea or 100% (no sugar added) carbonated juice (called The Switch) instead though. The school also offers various fruits & veggies daily. I don't see too much food going to waste when the kids are given additional choices.

Although they must take fruit and veggies, they can always donate the fruit to the Life Skills class if they really don't want it. We have baskets so the kids can put apples, oranges and bananas in them. This doesn't work for cut fruits, but most kids that don't eat fruit get stuff they can put in the basket. I believe Life Skills will also take unopened drinks. These baskets are collected after each lunch period.
  • Ritadex
    Ritadex Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish and we didn't have school cafeterias. I find it crazy that chocolate milk is being supplied as an option in your schools. chocolate milk is not healthy. Milk or water should be the only thing kids are drinking, Mainly water. I have friends who feed nothing but junk to their kids, they are very young and already over weight. You need to start early to get them into good life long habits.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Probably because chocolate milk = more calories. Never mind that last I heard school lunches in the US had a calorie minimum... no, that was not a typo.

I agree that we need to teach our kids to eat healthy and make smart food choices, but I would assume that the reason that there is a calorie minimum is because these are growing children that don't need to be on "diets".

Also, there are a lot of areas in the US where the poverty level is high and that school lunch is the only meal a child is getting every day.

Put into that perspective, I don't think the calorie minimum is the problem.

Well said.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there a song about this?

I_move_away_from_the_mic_to_breathe_in.jpg
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options

If it's happening all the time, yes. Or if you like, you can blame the kids for being picky.

While I don't agree, I can definately see your point.