The FedUp Challenge- sugarfree for ten days?

Options
faithxox
faithxox Posts: 20 Member
Has anyone seen/done this sugar free challenge? I think its pretty new, and basically its a challenge to stay off sugar for ten days, on the back of this new documentary FedUp. I'm not in the states so haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm intrigued by the idea of trying to stay off sugar, I've heard it notoriously difficult as sugar has a million different names and sneaks into everything.
More info: http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/fedupchallenge

Any done anything similar before? Would love to hear how you got on, I'm thinking of trying this out.

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to do this? What is the reasoning behind it?
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nope, I refuse to give up my Ben and Jerry's!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen/done this sugar free challenge? I think its pretty new, and basically its a challenge to stay off sugar for ten days, on the back of this new documentary FedUp. I'm not in the states so haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm intrigued by the idea of trying to stay off sugar, I've heard it notoriously difficult as sugar has a million different names and sneaks into everything.
    More info: http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/fedupchallenge

Any done anything similar before? Would love to hear how you got on, I'm thinking of trying this out.

No saccharides for 10 days? Sounds like an awful idea
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to pull the sugar out of my cold, dead hands.
  • faithxox
    faithxox Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work in health research and I'm well aware that sugar is as dangerous as salt, but isn't nearly as talked about. Reducing the amount of sugar in our diets is not a 'fad', its a reality if we want to be healthy well into old age.

I think it would be interesting to see how hard it would be, its a 10 day experiment that I'm assuming leads to awareness about hidden sugars and better life choices afterwards.

Problem is, there is a lot of sugar in my diet, even with the 1,200 MFP calorie limit, so I'm not sure I could go cold turkey for 10 days! :noway:
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    For 2 months now I've been having less than 5g of sugar a day, sometimes even ending a day at 0g. I don't really miss it. I'm not doing it on purpose, either; it's a side effect to keto. The few grams I do get are from veggies or the peanut butter I sometimes eat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I work in health research and I'm well aware that sugar is as dangerous as salt, but isn't nearly as talked about. Reducing the amount of sugar in our diets is not a 'fad', its a reality if we want to be healthy well into old age.

I think it would be interesting to see how hard it would be, its a 10 day experiment that I'm assuming leads to awareness about hidden sugars and better life choices afterwards.

Problem is, there is a lot of sugar in my diet, even with the 1,200 MFP calorie limit, so I'm not sure I could go cold turkey for 10 days! :noway:

So you're saying sugar isn't at all dangerous unless one suffers from a specific medical condition like hypertension?
  • TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Well this sounds delightful.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I followed that link but couldn't find much information about the challenge. The links suggesting details all just led to an ad for the movie. Perhaps you much watch the trailer or even go see the movie to get details??

I assume they are suggesting giving up added sugar for 10 days, since it would be nearly impossible to give up all sugar, and extremely unhealthy if you could/did.

I will likely see the film though. I read an article about it recently (link below) and it does sound interesting.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/?_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=health&_r=0
  • cpadchap
    cpadchap Posts: 6
    Options
    I did this at the beginning of the year. Began cutting out as much sugar as I could. Especially in drinks. It was hard at first but it got a lot easier and I felt a lot better. Now I've been baking more for others and I know that I have been eating more sugar than I was 3 months ago. :( But starting to realize it and cut back on it again.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I did it for an entire summer, including all alcohol, of course.
    I felt great and stopped craving it after about two weeks.
    I had more energy, and looked and felt 10x healthier.
    I found that when I reintroduced sugar into my diet, the more and more I craved it.
    More people should try it, before they knock it!!!
  • msnormalli
    msnormalli Posts: 2
    Options
    I've recently started a 'No sugar Monday to Friday' rule in my house. My two kids 11 & 4 have taken to it without any trouble thankfully. I think it is teaching them that sugar should be eaten only as a treat, no more than once or twice at the weekend.
    Just so you know, when I say we've stopped eating sugar, I mean anything that has sugar in the ingredient list. Fresh juices and fruit are not banned, although I do limit juice drinking. the only hiccup we've hit is Tomato Ketchup! My little one loves it with most dinners and is missing it lots. So, I'm searching for a tasty sugar free recipe if anyone wants to share it :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've recently started a 'No sugar Monday to Friday' rule in my house. My two kids 11 & 4 have taken to it without any trouble thankfully. I think it is teaching them that sugar should be eaten only as a treat, no more than once or twice at the weekend.
    Just so you know, when I say we've stopped eating sugar, I mean anything that has sugar in the ingredient list. Fresh juices and fruit are not banned, although I do limit juice drinking. the only hiccup we've hit is Tomato Ketchup! My little one loves it with most dinners and is missing it lots. So, I'm searching for a tasty sugar free recipe if anyone wants to share it :)

Heinz sells sugar free ketchup. 1g sugar per serving. Don't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/sugar-free-ketchup-2.html - you can always experiment and sweeten with something else, if you're not an articial sweetener kind of person.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    So no fruit for 10 days...seems like a great idea for trying to get healthy...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fruit is not necessary for health. But then again, it's unlikely she talking about fruit. Fruit is more than just sugar.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking.... Also, dairy.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Here's a sugar-free option, although I haven't tried it yet... http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/ready-in-a-snap-low-carb-ketchup/ Stevia is an all-natural sweetener.
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wait I'm lost.

Do you mean a 100% sugar free diet or a a 100% free ADDED sugar diet?

They are two completely different things- and if it's 100% sugar free what do you consume? Water and splenda?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 day challenge for you. Measure and record everything you eat properly and keep a reasonable calorie deficit without going over. During this challenge you can have anything you want including sugar just make sure you plan accordingly.

If you're going to go and do something as tough as not having sugar, why not consider something that's easier that will yield better results? Sugar is not the enemy, not recording what you eat is.