Is feeling hungrier normal?

Options
I do weight training M-W-F, about 45-60 minutes each, full body.
I do cardio (HIIT on the elliptical usually) for 30-45 minutes on T-TH.
I take Saturday and Sunday "off", but I walk at least 2-3 miles every day.

Since starting on working out, I am SO hungry.
Like all I think about it food.

Is this normal or am I sabotaging my workouts?

I am eating about 1800-2200 calories a day, now that I am monitoring things. I haven't really gained or lost, which is fine. I am working out just for health. I'm happy at my body weight now, but I am afraid I am going to gain weight now that I am working out!

Replies

• Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sorry - can't help you as I don't work out much at all. I'm hungry a lot too though :-)
  • kaylongo
    kaylongo Posts: 2
    Options
    I work out about as much as you do and I frequently feel hungry the day after a big workout (I tend to workout in the evenings).

If you're working out consistently and frequently, which it sounds like you are, it's normal to feel more hungry. With lifting, you may need to take a look at the types of food you're taking in. Weight lifting needs a bit more protein to strengthen and repair muscles. It may be worth it to chat with a dietitian to get a better idea of what you need to digest on exercise and off-days.

Also remember that thirst can sometimes be disguised as hunger. Make sure you're drinking ample amounts of water (at least 64-80oz. on exercise days and 64 on regular days). This should help you feel more full on your on and off days.

Good luck!
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello, can go in depth with explaining but to put it simply you are burning calories off when you workout so naturally your body wants to replace them. If you normally eat 1800 calories and burn 500 through the whole weightlifting/cardio workout then your body essentially feels like it only has 1300 calories to work with. This is why a lot of people recommend if you do cardio or workout that you replace at least half the calories you burned because you're either already operating at a deficit when it comes to losing weight.

Weightlifting is healthy and you may gain a small amount of weight from it but it will be lean muscle which actually increases the amount of calories your body goes through a day and will make maintaining/keeping the weight off easier.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fluids. Dehydration can often present itself as hunger.

Good job!
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Are you netting your maintenance calories and still hungry? Really if you're going to spend the time weight training 3 days a week, you should be eating a surplus of calories consisting of lots of protein. That is how your body will have what it needs to build some lean muscle. The high protein diet and excess calories will curb your hunger problem and fuel your workouts.
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    OMG just posted something along the same lines BUT I am trying to lose weight! Good luck to ya! Its tough LOL!
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hello, can go in depth with explaining but to put it simply you are burning calories off when you workout so naturally your body wants to replace them. If you normally eat 1800 calories and burn 500 through the whole weightlifting/cardio workout then your body essentially feels like it only has 1300 calories to work with. This is why a lot of people recommend if you do cardio or workout that you replace at least half the calories you burned because you're either already operating at a deficit when it comes to losing weight.

Weightlifting is healthy and you may gain a small amount of weight from it but it will be lean muscle which actually increases the amount of calories your body goes through a day and will make maintaining/keeping the weight off easier.

^THIS^
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on the type of foods you are eating, refined carbs or complex carbs as insulin spikes can increase hunger. Protein and fats keep you fuller generally.