Opinions please...

Options
BoxerBrawler
BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
I know it's important to have a rest day for body and muscle recovery and I do take rest days here and there but the way I go about it... I listen to my body and when it needs a rest day, it lets me know!

Anyway, I am heading out on vacation for two weeks next week and the week after. I was talking to my MMA coach and saying that the resort I picked has a small fitness facility and I can run in the morning, etc. He stopped me and said that I should take a two full week recovery period.

So we'll be doing a fair amount of walking around as folks do on vacation and I supposed I could still get some light cardio, quick jogging in the morning perhaps?

But a full two weeks... yikes! That seems scary to me.

Anyway, he said after the two weeks when I get back, after my first session my strength and endurance would be off the charts!

I do trust him and honestly these days I never ever get sore no matter how hard I work... just fatigued.

So your opinions please... is a two week recovery period good? Does anyone else take time off like this?

Some background - I do MMA and cardio (HIIT), calisthenics, boxing pretty much every day of the week and I lift twice a week and I run about every other day. I've been going strong for a little over a year.

Thanks!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've done the week off a couple times a year.

My body deals with serious pain 24/7 though & its just part of maintenance to be able to keep going.

Its can be tough if you are a die hard, but its really a good thing for long term.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have heard it's perfectly safe to take up to 2 weeks off and your body is rearing to go when it gets back and you'll have amazing workouts.

Honestly- mentally I would have a very difficult time with that.

If you can do it- trust him and take the time- go out on adventures and do stuff- but no planned workouts.

If not- do some light fiddle farting around to satisfy the mental crave for it- and just go easy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why is that scary?
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I understand your fear, but I think you'll be fine if you take the 2 weeks off.

Maybe have an active recovery period? Do light yoga daily, or other stretching. Just to feel like you're doing something but not putting your body through such an intense physical routine as it's used to.

HAVE FUN!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be fine.

But I love running in the mornings on vacation....it's like my way of exploring the area.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 10-day vacation and almost 2 weeks off from weight training. We did a couple of hikes during the vacation, but other than that, no exercise. I had some nagging elbow and shoulder pain that eased considerably during the time off. Now that I'm back, my first 2 workouts this week were tough and I'm having major DOMS. But my 3rd workout yesterday felt awesome and my strength is back. I was having trouble doing pullups and other pull movements due to my elbow issue prior the the time off and that seems to have resolved now. I definitely think it helped to give myself a break.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I know it works for weightlifting. I took a few months off & was actually stronger my first day back!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I know it's important to have a rest day for body and muscle recovery and I do take rest days here and there but the way I go about it... I listen to my body and when it needs a rest day, it lets me know!

Anyway, I am heading out on vacation for two weeks next week and the week after. I was talking to my MMA coach and saying that the resort I picked has a small fitness facility and I can run in the morning, etc. He stopped me and said that I should take a two full week recovery period.

So we'll be doing a fair amount of walking around as folks do on vacation and I supposed I could still get some light cardio, quick jogging in the morning perhaps?

Anyway, he said after the two weeks when I get back, after my first session my strength and endurance would be off the charts!

I do trust him and honestly these days I never ever get sore no matter how hard I work... just fatigued.

So your opinions please... is a two week recovery period good? Does anyone else take time off like this?

Some background - I do MMA and cardio (HIIT), calisthenics, boxing pretty much every day of the week and I lift twice a week and I run about every other day. I've been going strong for a little over a year.

Thanks!

In traditional "training effect" or "training theory" structured plans, It's called super-compensation. It's the rest/recovery periods where the real growth takes place. So your "MMA" is correct that some time off will allow your body to 'super-compensate' and you'll come back ready to launch into the next growth cycle.

Traditionally, those under the age of 40 take a rest/recovery week after every 3rd week in a training cycle. Those over 40 traditionally need a rest/recovery week after every 2nd week of strucutured training. Sure, there are always those that need more, and those that need less recovery, but one day per week and then every 3rd or 4th week is where the growth takes place after we've torn it all down. A rest/recovery week inlcudes workouts, but includes a lot of active recovery and lighter/less in the weights.

Too many are afraid to recover, or take any time off, and as a result - end up stagnating in their growth and just continue on the wheel.

Enjoy your vacation without any guilt knowing your body will be super-compensating and growing to prepare for the next round of training once you return.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    When I travel for work, or vacation, I love to get up early and run in new areas and terrain!

just relax and have fun

Todd
  • stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Enjoy and relax! But it's nice to have a quick run early in the morning while hubby sleeps.... Have a good one! :)
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think u would b fine but Im sure u can incorporate exercise into your fun if worried like hiking and seeing landscape, canoeing local waters, or biking around the side streets
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Take it IF you think you need it. If you're looking forward to NOT working out, then you should take it.

I pick and choose my time off (usually a week). I personally like to work out on vacation, but don't let it interfere with what things my family wants to do. Usually I'm up at 6am working out if that's the case and it's for about 30-45 mins.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Go hiking then that way you are still working out and maybe sight seeing at the same time.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'd say do what he says and keep it to walking, hiking etc. You aren't going to lose much if anything in terms of fitness level in two weeks.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the well thought out and informative answers and opinions, I appreciate the feedback.

Part of me feels that after a year of hard core my body could most definitely use the time to truly recover and heal and I have no doubt that it will certainly take me up a notch, and in an even more advanced direction when I get back into it.

The other part of me (the fitness obsessed part) is sort of agonizing over not getting my regular workouts, but I think that's more mental than physical.

I do plan on doing some light running in the early mornings because the hubs does like to sleep in a little later than me. We will also be doing a little hiking perhaps and a fair amount of walking I'm sure. I just can't sit around ya know? Especially after a meal. I am of the school of thought - Fuel in, fuel out, fuel in, fuel out. I love to eat healthy foods and use the fuel to benefit my body, then use healthy foods to heal my body. It's very Zen like to me and I am sure others can understand the feeling!

I like the comment about "getting off the wheel". That actually hit a cord for me. I push myself and push myself up and up to the next levels but in the past week or so I have felt sort of stuck on that wheel and I've been asking myself "How much more do I have to do to get to that next level"? Having a hard time finding that next breaking through point. So yeah, maybe a recovery period is exactly what I need to find that limit, and push through it.

Thanks again everyone... I am going to truly enjoy my vacation and I will take some much needed rest time while incorporating some physical activities as well.

The thing I'm looking forward to the most is all the fresh fish, vegetables and fruits that will be available on a tropical island... :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Take it IF you think you need it. If you're looking forward to NOT working out, then you should take it.

I pick and choose my time off (usually a week). I personally like to work out on vacation, but don't let it interfere with what things my family wants to do. Usually I'm up at 6am working out if that's the case and it's for about 30-45 mins.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is exactly what I always say to people who get on my back side about taking a rest day. I'm so glad someone else feels like this. I don't have "Planned" rest days... I listen to my body and when it needs to rest, I rest. As long as I am physically capable of training, I'm doing it!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    The other part of me (the fitness obsessed part) is sort of agonizing over not getting my regular workouts, but I think that's more mental than physical.

And therein lies one of the main reasons why most people stagnate and fail to see continued progress. Trust it, and just enjoy your vacation. Sounds like you'll be doing plenty of hiking, walking, moving around to occupy your time.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/2757/training-recovery-the-most-important-component-of/

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/RestandRecovery.htm
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How about a compromise and take one week completely off, and light workouts the next week?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The first bike race I ever won was after a week off for my wedding. So yeah, take the time and see what happens! Eventually, if you're serious about your athletic performance (not just your weight loss), you'll find out an adequate tapering regime.

Before a target race, I will take about 1 week easy. 50% of the volume. 2 hard, but very short workouts with very short efforts. The last one is the day before the race just to make my body remember what it means to go hard and avoid the "holy hell, this is painful" impression the next day.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks again, more good information.

Makes perfect sense...

While I am still set for about a half a pound per week I am not on the weight loss wheel anymore too much. At this point my body simply has very little more fat or weight to give... I have recently switched over to a nice maintenance plan using TDEE and keeping a close eye on my macro's and it's been pretty awesome for the past couple of weeks.

I'll never give up my cardiovascular because it just feels damn good :smile: I love to run, get my heart rate up and sweat (when I can). If I continue to lose some weight as a result than so be it.

I am focusing now on strength, muscle tone and endurance. I'm really striated and want to get more solid tone vs. skin, bones and muscle. I am working at it and know that everything is about baby steps and progression.

But yes, this rest period might help to put me over the hump.