I think I have a problem

Options
If you see my food diary you can tell I did fairly decent this week (except dinners which is where my problem is) . If not I am willing to hear feedback from you guys even if its you guys yelling at me. But as I mention before this was my first week in college taking night classes. So from 8am -5pm i work and then from 6pm-9pm I go to school. So I been eating my dinner right before I go to class. BUT when I get out I notice that I'm sooooooo hungry like my stomach burns of how empty it is. Or at least i think that's the reason. So i get home look for the first thing i find and eat it. . And i know its not thirst because trust me i drink my water. So I'm look for suggestions/new ideas on how to arrange a 1200 calorie throughout the day. Any suggestions are welcome, my diary is open so im ready to hear constructive critics. :)

Replies

• jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What did you set your weight loss goal to when you joined MFP? Often people get ambitious and set it to 2 lbs./week, resulting in a very low calorie allotment. How much do you want to lose? Most people, except those with a lot of weight to lose (80-100 lbs. or more), should be looking to lose a pound or less per week. Try lowering your goal a little so that you can have more calories per day. 1200 just isn't enough to adequately fill the needs of most people. Your high protein intake should help keep you full, though. Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Simple solution - plan/prepare something for a healthy snack for when you get home from class. If all you have handy is sweet snacky stuff, that's what you'll grab because it's convenient. So instead have some healthier options on hand - fruit, nuts, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese or yogurt, etc.

Also, I agree, you may be workign with too low of a calorie goal. As your profile is private, I can't tell how much weight you have to lose but going by your picture, it doesn't look like a lot. So, as the PP pointed out, you may need to reset your weekly weight loss goal to a more reasonable amount.
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Simple solution - plan/prepare something for a healthy snack for when you get home from class. If all you have handy is sweet snacky stuff, that's what you'll grab because it's convenient. So instead have some healthier options on hand - fruit, nuts, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese or yogurt, etc.

Also, I agree, you may be workign with too low of a calorie goal. As your profile is private, I can't tell how much weight you have to lose but going by your picture, it doesn't look like a lot. So, as the PP pointed out, you may need to reset your weekly weight loss goal to a more reasonable amount.
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

I changed my profile to not private anymore...thanks for the feedback
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! You hit that issue right on the nose. I find I do great during the work day because I pack my lunch and what I have is what I eat. But when I finally get home from work (I walk home) it's like I can eat my weight in vegetables and junk! I find myself snacking while waiting for supper, having my supper, then snacking again around 9 (not a good hour for snacking on sugary treats).
  • mrPopoBrah
    mrPopoBrah Posts: 10
    Options
    What I do when on relatively low cals. Eat as little as possible during the day (just get protein in). And "binge" at night at home, whilst hitting my macros and getting shredded;) I'm still staying at my goal calories, I just trick my mind by being busy during the day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1200 is the bottom of the barrel low- is that accurate for your height, weight, age and activity levels??

Also- popcorn.

and plan you're meals to account for the late night snacking.

I am often home very late- so I just shift my day to be 'back end heavy' (dirty joke in there somewhere).

I start eating between 1130 and 130 (depends on the day- workout schedule- how busy I am- and if I'm planning to be going out with BF).

Then I kind of graze through the afternoon- have something around 230/3 then again at 4ish.

I typically eat between 500-1200 calories after 9 PM- I am ALWAYS hungry at night- so I just plan around it.

If you know you are hungry later- then budget for it. :)
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree, I recommend reevaluating your calorie goal. I calculated my TDEE and bumped up my calories when I was in a rut and started losing again by doing so.

I had a night class last term and I always made sure I packed snacks! I usually eat every 3-4 hours because I just get hungry quickly. So I would pack fruit and nuts for my night class so I didn't end up starving (and distracted!). So try taking some things to munch on at class and see if that helps. Just throw them in your backpack when you make your lunch for work and you'll be set.