Why no calc for strength training?

Options
How come this app does not give you calories burned credit for lifting weights, only cardio?? Strange..

Replies

• mrs_hiner
    mrs_hiner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I must say that I agree, this is an update that should be made. I find that according to my Polar FT4 I average 50+ more calories lifting vs. cardio for the same amount of time.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There is an option to add strength training under cardio and it calculates the calories.
  • EmmyWinningSTAR
    Options
    I feel the same way. I did find, however, that while you cannot get calories for individual strength training exercises, you can log "Strength Training" under Cardiovascular and get calories burned credit that way. :-)
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is an option to add strength training under cardio and it calculates the calories.

This^^^
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to have an accurate equation for working out calories burned from strength training for everyone.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Because you're logging it in the wrong place.

Set and reps are logged under strength. Time of workout is logged under cardio.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There is one called "strength training" I use it every other day. 40 minutes burns like 130 calories.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Because you can't accurately calculate calorie burn from a HRM for strength training. It'll give you a number but the equations are set for steady state cardio, so it won't be accurate.

The only accurate way would be to manually calculate it using your own collected numbers of calories consumed and the weight you lost.
  • mrs_hiner
    Options
    Found it, thanks.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think part of it has to do with the wide variety of strength training activities. It would seem you would want to break it down to specific exercises and say things like "bench pressed X pounds for Y reps" or "did X number of bicep curls at Y weight" rather than just be able to say "strength training workout". My work-around was to figure out my strength training related activity level in regards to the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation and add those calories as "manual input" in the cardiovascular exercise block.

There may just not be as many studied and readily usable "calories-burned" equations as we've got for cardio, thanks to decades of people focusing on cardio for weight loss and judging the results of strength training by your ability to move more weight than yesterday more than what calories you've burned.
  • mrs_hiner
    Options
    I like to track my exercise/weight/reps on a different app (Jefit) but like to enter in the calories burned on MFP.