Log fruits and vegetables

Options

Replies

• squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I log everything, including fruits and veggies, because a) I want an accurate calorie count, and b) I want to keep track of micronutrients and fiber, too. I replaced sodium and sugar on my diary with iron and fiber, because those matter to me a lot more (with my genes I would have to drown myself in salt for it to have a negative effect on my blood pressure). Fruits and vegetables are an excellent source of fiber and nutrients, and MFP doesn't differentiate between naturally-occuring sugars and added sugars, plus it sets your sugar goals very low - so low that you can easily go over eating healthful amounts of fruit and veggies. Log them, but don't fuss too much about your sugar if it's coming from otherwise nutrient-dense foods.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has said it... log everything.

Aside from the fact that calories from fruit and veg add up over a day (I'm a vegetarian so they especially do for me) I was wondering whether to bother with them at first too, but I quickly found out that not all fruits/veg are created equally and while some might only work out as 1/2 calories a portion others might be a substantial amount more than you would guess. For me it came down to where do I draw the line for what to log and what not to? So I decided to put everything in to be on the safe/accurate side.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has said it... log everything.

Aside from the fact that calories from fruit and veg add up over a day (I'm a vegetarian so they especially do for me) I was wondering whether to bother with them at first too, but I quickly found out that not all fruits/veg are created equally and while some might only work out as 1/2 calories a portion others might be a substantial amount more than you would guess. For me it came down to where do I draw the line for what to log and what not to? So I decided to put everything in to be on the safe/accurate side.
    I don't disagree but ... I created a private entry in my foods for "Fruit Serving" with an estimated average of nutrients, and I log 3-5 servings every day without worrying about raspberries vs blueberries. (I only log bananas separately.) The weight movements are the ultimate measure of quality of logging, and this works for me just fine. Others may chose to log the individual fruits and it may work for them.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    On average, I have 250 calories every day just from fruit. I haven't run long term averages on veggies, but I'm guessing I have 100-300 cals a day in veggies.

This rings true for me also, so if I wasn't logging my fruits and vegetables my intake would look pitifully low.
    I eat 5-8 bananas a day. That's nigh on 500-850 calories a day. Would 500-850 calories make a difference in your weight loss? I think so. Log everything regardless of gain or loss. It'll help you track your progress if that's where you're on this site.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm a small woman,my TDEE -20% comes to 1225(according to iifym calculator),so yes, i log 16 cal worth of cucumbers too.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I agree with logging fruit and vegetables - but I do think you can be more flexible with them than with other foods - I call every banana a small banana, every mandarin a medium mandarine, half a carrot, half a cup of lettuce etc rather than scrupulously weighing each time.

Yes you have to be accurate with the system but it also has to be long term user friendly so finding the right balance is important.

I know that will be different for different people - some people log sugar free gum and spices, others like me do not.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I agree with logging fruit and vegetables - but I do think you can be more flexible with them than with other foods - I call every banana a small banana, every mandarin a medium mandarine, half a carrot, half a cup of lettuce etc rather than scrupulously weighing each time.

Yes you have to be accurate with the system but it also has to be long term user friendly so finding the right balance is important.

I know that will be different for different people - some people log sugar free gum and spices, others like me do not.

I admit I do the same, I might track my cauli, broc and carrot for dinner, but the serving sizes are an estimate.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Not sure about anyone else but I started about 3 weeks ago and I log everything including fruits and vegetables. I want to know my total calorie count as well as carb count. (I have diabetes.)

Yeah, & certain fruits can cause glucose levels to spike so we need to know how much is in Everything!
    When I eat dry roasted almonds, I don't just assume the amount, I count out how many I have because "1 more" is more calories (everyone's "handfuls" are different).
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'll log my fruit, no problem, but I don't tend to log vegetables for example, I have some salad witha meal. Fo me, it gets too bitty and provided I'm not adding a sauce, the calorie count is pretty insignifcant.
  • kerrianne86
    kerrianne86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I learnt a long time ago that it's almost impossible to stay under my recommended sugar intake. As long as the sugar is coming from fruits and veggies and not the naughty stuff - like chocolate, I don't let it bother me.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    No..log everything

This^^^^
  • connorsw95
    connorsw95 Posts: 15
    Options
    Eat over maintenance with fruits/veggies/burgers/hot dogs and watch the weight go on. I usually roughly estimate portion sizes with vegetables since I tend to eat lower calorie vegetables e.g. cabbage, broccoli, spinach. I'm a bit more persnickety with fruit because of its' higher calorie content and because a fruit smoothie has pretty much become a staple in my diet - I like to try and log everything for peace of mind. Good luck
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my fruits and vegetables for today. I haven't logged dinner yet and I've already eaten 495 calories of fruits and vegetables. Not logging them would blow my deficit.

I don't pay attention to sugar, since mfp treats sugars that naturally occur in foods and added sugar exactly the same. If there was a count that was just added sugars then I'd pay attention to it.
    Why?

Diabetic family history. My brother - three years younger than me - is already pre-diabetic.

So, I'm not really concerned with, for example, the sugars that are naturally occurring in the milk in my morning cappuccino. But I were eating a bread or salad dressing or something that had a lot of added sugar, I'd be interested, and probably switch to something else. I don't really think this is a significant problem for me, since I don't eat that much prepared food and am a label-reader besides, but I can see where it could be useful to me.

But overall sugar? ... I go over mfp's suggested level before lunch.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I log mine because I like to see the fiber count. Fruit carbs don't really count anyway, in my opinion, kind of like the fat in avocados or olive oil doesn't really count. Good stuff!!!! :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You say they jack up your carbs and sugar and think that's a reason NOT to log them? Those carbs and sugar are in your body whether an internet site says you ate them or not.

HAHAHAHAHAHA - That's what I was thinking!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth log it. Period.

Wait, but what about......oh forget it!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Log it. Fruits and vegetables have calories.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Got to log it all! The calories add up on both fruits and veggies and you don't want to exceed your allotted daily calories. I will say that I don't really worry with going over my sugar if it is primarily from fruit as it is natural!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I log everything - because I'm looking at overall/total counts. And I don't have a huge deficit so don't want to void it by a 250 calories in fruit and 100 calories in veggies. Plus its a way to look back and see what variety I'm eating.

BUT if your only concern is the way logging them makes your sugar report look, perhaps reassess your thought process. A report means nothing unless you want it to.