HANGRY!

Options
Ok just need some ideas!

When you are feeling "HANGRY" AND you don't have many calories left in the day what do you do? I need to lose weight so I am trying to stick to a good calorie deficit. I am not depriving myself nor am I on any weird diets. I just eat normal foods and the correct portions sizes, sometimes smaller than the normal portion size to keep within calorie range. So any ideas would be great.

I have tried:
Drinking a ton of water
Craving Crush Tea(works pretty good but has caffine and I don't want to have to drink a ton of it all the time)
String Cheese
Some protein(canned chicken to be exact grrr)

Anyways I would appreciate any and all advice! I know going over calories by a little isn't bad I just HAVE to lose this weight and would really prefer to stay within calorie range.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Please provide your stats so you could get the best advice possible:

Height:
    Daily Calories Intake:
    Weekly Exercise Activities:
    Weekly Weight Loss Goal:
    Health Issues If Applicable:
  • Stef2752
    Stef2752 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Almonds. Just a few takes the hunger edge off for me.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're having this problem a lot I would suggest that your daily calorie allowance is either too low or you're not spreading them out in a way that works for you. if I was as Hungry as you say you are I would just eat something. There is no real reason why you need to suffer to lose weight.

Maybe have a look at your goals and work with a smaller deficit.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Go for a run. Or something to take your mind off eating.
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Weight: 195 :/ BUT I have lost 50 pounds since giving birth in DEC :)
    Height: 63 inches
    Daily Calories Intake: 1300
    Weekly Exercise Activities: 55 mins cardio 5 days a week/ 45 mins strength training
    Weekly Weight Loss Goal: 2 lbs
    Health Issues If Applicable: hypothyroidism BUT my levels are good and I am under the direct care of a wonderful endocrinologist that helped me calculate what I need to do in order to lose the weight I need to in the next 8 weeks.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    If I'm that hungry, I eat. It kind of sucks going over calories a bit, but I'd rather do that then feel starving and miserable.

Do you eat enough protein during the day to keep you feeling full? You can also eat more veggies - they're low calorie and filling.
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    Im sorry that is 3 times a week strength training NOT everyday lol. Thank you for the reponses so far. I do agree I think I just need to EAT something. I am spacing everything out just fine, I think it just isn't enough.
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    Ya know I think I actually need to bump up my protein! Shoot I didn't even think about that! Thanks!
  • Branstin
    Options
    Do you have your activity level set correctly?

Are you eating back at least half of your exercise calories because 1300 seems a bit low for the amount of exercising you are doing?

Consider reducing the weight loss rate to either 1 or 1.5 lbs. a week so you could have more calories to eat. There isn't any need to rush the weight off if you are hangry.
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    Well unfortunately there is a rush for me to lose this weight. I really do not feel comfortable losing it this fast and was doing fine with my calories at 1570. I am not eating back half of my calories either. I just thought I was not supposed to eat those. Makes sense that I should eat back some of those cals though. I was losing 1 - 1.5 pounds a week just fine BUT I have to lose it faster for the sake of my career.
  • Branstin
    Options
    Well then go with eating back half of your exercise calories.
  • Gpistons
    Gpistons Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your are most definatly not eating enough, even more so if you are not eating any of your exercise calories, your body wont give up the weight easily and will slow down, I was eating 1200 on a day i wasnt exercising, but thanks to using a basal calculator, that showed me that 1200 wasnt even enough to keep my body working, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator you need to calculate your basal... then u need at least that to live on.. then add some of your exercise calories... doing it the way ur doing is unhealthy, but will likely go back on .. i usually have a defecate of 500 calories... so basal plus exercise calories earnt minus 500 calories... works for me, when i stick to it.
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    Your are most definatly not eating enough, even more so if you are not eating any of your exercise calories, your body wont give up the weight easily and will slow down, I was eating 1200 on a day i wasnt exercising, but thanks to using a basal calculator, that showed me that 1200 wasnt even enough to keep my body working, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator you need to calculate your basal... then u need at least that to live on.. then add some of your exercise calories... doing it the way ur doing is unhealthy, but will likely go back on .. i usually have a defecate of 500 calories... so basal plus exercise calories earnt minus 500 calories... works for me, when i stick to it.

I spoke with my Dr the other day and he said that me dropping it from where I had it 1570 to 1200 would help me drop weight faster. He let me know that it is safe and is OK to do but just to get where I want to be. I am still having trouble keeping down to 1200, I still go over a bit but I am really trying hard to not go over. I did ask him about everything you are talking about, because people on here are always saying things and he let me know he is the Dr and he knows what he is talking about. Thank you though!