Most weight loss in one month...

Options
gerard54
gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
What is the most amount of weight you have lost in a month and how did you do it...

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    in my first month i lost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20-25 lbs. but i was eating dangerously low amounts, working out every day, and took caffeine pills to curb appetite and help keep energy up. ive smartened up since then
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Nothing big or impressive. 8 lbs, the first month I started. Followed the MFP plan, but no exercise.
  • Kegha
    Kegha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    30 pounds, my starting weight was 105 and after a month was 75 pounds, nothing like dysentria for quick weight loss and the feeling you will die from it. I looked like a cadavre and felt like one. :0)

in normal circomstances it would be 10 pounds at begining of a diet and then it will slow to 4 to 6 pounds.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    40lbs
    but all I ate was carrots and rice cakes... throw in a lean quisine randomly
    it also made me super sick i was dizzy 24/7 was seeing spots couldnt think straight

but losing a healthy way about 20lbs and thats eating things like chicken fish veggies fruits etc
  • isabellaverburg
    isabellaverburg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost 23 pounds in 3 weeks following an 1800 calorie diabetic exchange diet. I couldn't stick with it though because no one puts food exchanges on packages anymore and it made it a pain to stick to unlike calorie or carb counting. Neither of which has been anywhere near as effective. I think since the exchange diet provided balanced nutrition it kept my body primed for fat burning. That's the problem I think with calorie and carb counting. If you eat fat all day it's gonna make you slow, tired, and lethargic. If you eat sugar all day, your gonna crash at times and not have the energy to do a thing. But you can actually have low carb or calorie counts despite that bad energy level.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Eight pounds, in my first month using MFP, which I think included at least 5 pounds of water weight!
  • MattLewis521
    Options
    20 lbs and I put on 2 lbs of muscle as well.

20 minutes of cardio 2x daily, in the morning after waking up pre-breakfast, and night time.
    Lifting roughly 5 days a week, with mostly drop sets and supersets for aesthetics and high heart rate.

Very precise diet of chicken, egg whites, plain oats, brown rice, sweet potato, steak, broccoli, and tilapia.
    No carbs before bedtime or for dinner. No food portions bigger than a fist size. 7 meals a day (1 protein shake)

Also took green tea pills for energy and mood, as well as L-Carnitine / glutamine and BCAA's to help ensure that the weight loss was mostly fat and not muscle.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    9 pounds when i did the 24 day challenge via ADVOCARE. Since then I've been using MFP and the weight loss has slowed quite a bit - but slow and steady wins the race!! I mean... really as fast as possible wins any race - but I'm trying to maintain a positive outlook and have told myself that in one year I will be happy with how I look and feel!
  • BigT555
    Options

20 minutes of cardio 2x daily, in the morning after waking up pre-breakfast, and night time.
    Lifting roughly 5 days a week, with mostly drop sets and supersets for aesthetics and high heart rate.

Very precise diet of chicken, egg whites, plain oats, brown rice, sweet potato, steak, broccoli, and tilapia.
    No carbs before bedtime or for dinner. No food portions bigger than a fist size. 7 meals a day (1 protein shake)

Also took green tea pills for energy and mood, as well as L-Carnitine / glutamine and BCAA's to help ensure that the weight loss was mostly fat and not muscle.
    its extremely hard (if not impossible) to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, let alone lose 20 lbs and gain 2 lbs of muscle, so im thinking your 2lbs gain of muscle was an error in your bf% calculations
  • barbarapoppa54
    barbarapoppa54 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Following a healthy eating plan and exercise the first month was 9 lbs and now about 1 lb a week or so, I was stuck for two weeks but that seems to have ended so I will see what this week brings. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • MattLewis521
    Options

its extremely hard (if not impossible) to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, let alone lose 20 lbs and gain 2 lbs of muscle, so im thinking your 2lbs gain of muscle was an error in your bf% calculations

I understand where you're coming from and many people think the same way. You're right it is EXTREMELY hard to lose weight and gain msucle. I did it through Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer and many many people have had similiar results (when taken seriously). My first four weeks were crazy and then it slowed down quite a bit. I went into this weighing 296 lbs at 6'5 though so it was easier to drop a lot at first. You need to be extremely meticulous about your diet, your supplements, and your lifting days. But rather than discuss I'll just show you - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    0 because I didn't research or understand but the 1st month I did it properly 5lbs but I only had about 27lbs to lose only 7lbs overall left
  • BigT555
    Options

I understand where you're coming from and many people think the same way. You're right it is EXTREMELY hard to lose weight and gain msucle. I did it through Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer and many many people have had similiar results (when taken seriously). My first four weeks were crazy and then it slowed down quite a bit. I went into this weighing 296 lbs at 6'5 though so it was easier to drop a lot at first. You need to be extremely meticulous about your diet, your supplements, and your lifting days. But rather than discuss I'll just show you - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html
    looks like a solid routine but im still doubting a muscle gain like that in a month while still losing weight. were you eating at a deficit for the entirety of the first month?
    and how do you know you gained exactly 2 lbs of muscle did you get a dexa scan or something
  • karri82
    karri82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    10lbs my first month of starting MFP, I've slowed down with my weightloss now but I also changed my goal to loose 0.5 per week as I was starving all the time
  • MattLewis521
    Options
    [/quote]
    looks like a solid routine but im still doubting a muscle gain like that in a month while still losing weight. were you eating at a deficit for the entirety of the first month?
    and how do you know you gained exactly 2 lbs of muscle did you get a dexa scan or something
    [/quote]

Honestly the 2 lbs is an estimation, I know I gained at least a lb of muscle just through the BMI change and radical strength increase. I wouldn't necessarily say I was eating at a deficit even though it's only around 2200-2600 cals consumed daily. I burn between 3900-4700 between my jobs and the routine / cardio. I use a fitbit watch to track that. The high protein and careful carb ratio of my diet was a big key to those results. It's all about eating non-processed foods, lean meats, e.t.c. To me a deficit would be 1600 calories - 2000 calories but I don't have the willpower to lower my consumption that drastically. Starvation mode would be kicking in for me.
  • BigT555
    Options

Honestly the 2 lbs is an estimation, I know I gained at least a lb of muscle just through the BMI change and radical strength increase. I wouldn't necessarily say I was eating at a deficit even though it's only around 2200-2600 cals consumed daily. I burn between 3900-4700 between my jobs and the routine / cardio. I use a fitbit watch to track that. The high protein and careful carb ratio of my diet was a big key to those results. It's all about eating non-processed foods, lean meats, e.t.c. To me a deficit would be 1600 calories - 2000 calories but I don't have the willpower to lower my consumption that drastically. Starvation mode would be kicking in for me.
    strength will increase for anyone just starting out regardless of diet (i increased lifts as well while losing weight), and BMI isnt very accurate. if you burn 3900-4700 (which is pretty damn high, at 275 and working out 5 days a week i was still only just over 3000) and eat 2200-2600 then you at anywhere from a 1200-2500 calorie deficit, where it would be impossible to gain muscle.

not trying to demean your progress, obviously you've done very well, but a muscle gain with those numbers just isnt feasible
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input mi hombres...
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    13 lbs in my first month with MFP by following my calorie goal and doing 30-60 mins of walk/run every day. Keep in mind that it was the first month so a large amount of that was water weight. It's not sustainable or normal to consistently lose that much in a month. In the following month I lost 8 lbs (2 lbs per week) so that's much more reasonable (still high though). YMMV
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I lost a total of 28 pounds in 3 weeks by having a baby. ;) I don't suggest it unless you want a baby.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I think I lost about 12 pounds the first month I started MFP. I was over 340 pounds, and I probably should have put myself as lightly active instead of sedentary, but for the first month of a morbidly obese person losing weight it was nothing alarming. I wish I could say it was because I exercised my butt off, but I started off essentially not exercising and the weight still fell off. I've averaged out since then to 1-2 pounds a week.