Fat people in the gym

Options

Replies

• grim_streaker
    grim_streaker Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do not look at you to look down on you or because I think you have nothing to do there.
    I look at you in admiration! remember that

I know how hard it is to get started(been there myself), and how easy it is to quit.
    But remember this is a lifetime commitment, not a quick fix.
    And most of the people at the gym are more than happy to help if you ask.

Now get back in there and kick some butt !

WOW all that anger for trying to be positive here?? really?? are you not here on MFP for some reason or do you just have a fetish for logging your food, but everything is just nice and dandy? If your life situation is so perfect, why are you here? Just to make hateful remarks on the forum?

Where did I write "pat a fat persons back"? YES that is patronizing as hell, and I would have really hated it if someone did that to me. But a little motivation goes a long way
    What I'm saying is that I DO know how hard it is to get started, and how easy it is to quit due to sloppy remarks from stupid "perfect" people. And I don't want anyone to quit due to that.
    And yes I say fat people, because that's what it is right? FAT... The thing we all want too loose, the reason why we are here??
    I can't say large people (I'm large, I'm 195cm, and I do not want to loose that) or big or whatever. Lets just call it what it is, no judgmental undertone in that at all.

I am 40years old now, and I have ranged from fat to obese about 80% of that time(born chubby and stayed that way). Saw a picture of myself in 2003 that opened my eyes (weighing 128kg/282lbs with a BF% of over 30, and now I have fought it back weighing 102kg/224lbs with a BF% of 14).
    And in the beginning I had not a clue to how to train or eat right and failed miserably many times
    What I'm saying is that if I had been given some motivation and good advise in the start instead of negativity and from many points THAT look from the "perfect" people, it would have been a lot easier and I wouldn't have made so many mistakes leading to injuries and failures.

So I will not defend this post any further, if you want to get motivation or ask me any kinda questions, please feel free to add me as a friend. And if you don't? hmmm well just don't. But don't leave hateful remarks ether way, or brag about good education, salary, grammar or what ever, this is all about support for weight.

And yes Achrya, I would love to give you support and help for your running, if you ASK. But never would I pat you on the head, WTF do you think I am?

I'm calling bull. If you saw me at the gym you'd see a small apparently in shape woman running on the treadmill. Nothing about that would inspire you to encourage me or give me a thumbs up (I probably wouldn't even register on your radar), but, by your own OP, if I was overweight then it'd be a special thing worthy of praise. If I was overweight you think I'd need encouragement and praise beyond that of what some fit chick next to me may need.

Your whole post is about singling out one group because of your perception of them. That'd be like someone going "oh you're in college, good for you!" To only the black kids on campus. Its gross and condescending.

I see you have quoted my whole thread, but stil I'm not sure what you're answering? Please read it once more, and be sure that you have understood it before answering again.
    Btw why so bitter? Is this your perception of life in general? Don't you think people can have any good in them?

Ok one last time: I do not go and give thumbs up, pat heads or say you go, to fat people. I'm basicly saying don't give up and if YOU want help, ASK I will be glad to help and share with my experience. I'm not singling out anyone, but I think you are one who see racism, judgement and condescention in everything and everyone.
    Best start with that.....
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I read several pages, but not them all, but I think we're forgetting something obvious that is going to effect how people feel about this topic which is:

Some of us really relate to a fat lady on an elliptical. Some of us were that lady two years ago.
    Some of us still are that lady!

But the question is how would YOU feel if you were doing your exercise and someone came up to you and said "Good for YOU for coming to the gym and going at it every day! High Five!" Would you view that as condescending or inspirational?

Did anyone read the original post? BECAUSE NOWHERE in it did OP mention anything about going up and giving someone a freaking pat on the back. It was a thought.

It was a bigoted thought that displays a superiority complex over people of size and is harmful to society. Over half of the American population is overweight or obese. It's not okay to pathologize fat bodies. It's not okay to assume they want to lose weight or that they exercise for that specific goal or to assume they are unhealthy or to ASSUME you know ANYTHING about that absolute stranger. It's a constant reinforcement of the media projected mindset that fat is inherently bad and unacceptable and needs to be"changed, lost, or fixed." It does devalue the person inhabiting the large body when you make assumptions based on appearance and label them with special emphasis in mind because of assumptions.

So i assume you also had the same comments on the blog post that was shared, respected, and admired on MFP not more than two weeks ago regarding the reverence a bystander or fellow runner had for an overweight person running on the track?

It's not a superiority complex - it's a motivating thought for some. It's not harmful to society.

The fact that you label it as "motivation" means you clearly have preference to the thin body over the fat ones. Exercise is a personal choice, not a *moral* one. Association of morality with lifestyle choice IS HARMFUL to the people who are judged as "immoral." Ask any one who identifies as anything other than heterosexual. Fat isn't inherently linked to health (aka function) and as adults with agency over their bodies, fat people don't need your condescending reminders that their value is only conditionally being noted by you BECAUSE they are exercising. NEWS FLASH: No one is obligated to live a healthy lifestyle or exercise at all. There are naturally thin people who don't. There are hard working mothers and fathers and citizens and employees who are fat and far from lazy and who are just as deserving of respect and human decency as other humans. Humanity isn't conditional, shouldn't come with strings attached. It is absolutely harmful to society to think of anyone in such terms for approval.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I often want to cheer larger people jogging or cycling because I'm proud of them making the effort but don't want them to take it as a jibe or sarcastic, so I don't do it because I'd never want them to stop because they though they shouldn't be doing it, or are embarrassed or because of me saying the wrong thing.

In fact I want to hug them and tell them to keep going, it will all be worth it. :flowerforyou:

I've always wanted to do this but I fear that they'll take offense and take it the wrong way..

It's not that they're taking it the wrong way, it's that this mentality is extremely condescending. Not everyone who goes to the gym is there to lose weight, or hear that you and other absolute strangers assume they are unhealthy pariahs who need to be"fixed" to be treated as normal people. Trust me. Fat people are reminded daily that they are not wanted or need to change. Don't assume, don't think you know their reasons for being there. You want to respect them? Leave them alone unless they approach you, just like anyone else minding their own business. Treat people like all other people, with basic decency and respect for boundaries. Don't invade their space if you wouldn't do it to a thin person. Sincerely, from someone who was obese.

Thanks, PennyVonDread. This is awesome.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I read several pages, but not them all, but I think we're forgetting something obvious that is going to effect how people feel about this topic which is:

Some of us really relate to a fat lady on an elliptical. Some of us were that lady two years ago.

But the question is how would YOU feel if you were doing your exercise and someone came up to you and said "Good for YOU for coming to the gym and going at it every day! High Five!" Would you view that as condescending or inspirational?

Did anyone read the original post? BECAUSE NOWHERE in it did OP mention anything about going up and giving someone a freaking pat on the back. It was a thought.

It was a bigoted thought that displays a superiority complex over people of size and is harmful to society. Over half of the American population is overweight or obese. It's not okay to pathologize fat bodies. It's not okay to assume they want to lose weight or that they exercise for that specific goal or to assume they are unhealthy or to ASSUME you know ANYTHING about that absolute stranger. It's a constant reinforcement of the media projected mindset that fat is inherently bad and unacceptable and needs to be"changed, lost, or fixed." It does devalue the person inhabiting the large body when you make assumptions based on appearance and label them with special emphasis in mind because of assumptions.

So i assume you also had the same comments on the blog post that was shared, respected, and admired on MFP not more than two weeks ago regarding the reverence a bystander or fellow runner had for an overweight person running on the track?

It's not a superiority complex - it's a motivating thought for some. It's not harmful to society.

The fact that you label it as "motivation" means you clearly have preference to the thin body over the fat ones. Exercise is a personal choice, not a *moral* one. Association of morality with lifestyle choice IS HARMFUL to the people who are judged as "immoral." Ask any one who identifies as anything other than heterosexual. Fat isn't inherently linked to health (aka function) and as adults with agency over their bodies, fat people don't need your condescending reminders that their value is only conditionally being noted by you BECAUSE they are exercising. NEWS FLASH: No one is obligated to live a healthy lifestyle or exercise at all. There are naturally thin people who don't. There are hard working mothers and fathers and citizens and employees who are fat and far from lazy and who are just as deserving of respect and human decency as other humans. Humanity isn't conditional, shouldn't come with strings attached. It is absolutely harmful to society to think of anyone in such terms for approval.

Take this how you want. I'm not going to even try to go into the million things that I disagree with here. Yes, I prefer a thin body which is why I worked my *kitten* off to lose 110 pounds and workout religiously. Of course exercise is a personal choice and nobody claimed otherwise. I have no idea how anyone read sooooo much into this post. I'm really sorry for people that feel vicitimized, attacked, etc by simple posts or statements when one person is trying to share motivation that when it's tough - keep going. If you don't want to go to the gym I don't care. i don't care what anyone does. but if you want to go there and want motivation you should also know that it's there. This post was in no way condescending and for you tot ake it that way makes me make the unfortunate assumption that you are one that often feels victimized. I think no less of people who are fat then peopel who are thin and no more of people who are healthy vs unhealthy. Everyone is a person worthy of the same respect but he initial post had nothing to do with that.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I have a novel idea....treat everyone equally.
  • Paganprincessmommy
    Options
    Thank you!!1 Very well said

But if I do fall or something, feel free to laugh. :flowerforyou:

Or if I fart while doing incline crunches. It's happened before...

Try holding them in on an elliptical. It will be the worst day of your life.

I slipped on a workout mat in front of the mirrored wall in the free weight portion of the gym. I went into the splits, then farted. All I could do was laugh until I cried....then I peed myself a little. I'm a rock star.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options

Take this how you want. I'm not going to even try to go into the million things that I disagree with here. Yes, I prefer a thin body which is why I worked my *kitten* off to lose 110 pounds and workout religiously. Of course exercise is a personal choice and nobody claimed otherwise. I have no idea how anyone read sooooo much into this post. I'm really sorry for people that feel vicitimized, attacked, etc by simple posts or statements when one person is trying to share motivation that when it's tough - keep going. If you don't want to go to the gym I don't care. i don't care what anyone does. but if you want to go there and want motivation you should also know that it's there. This post was in no way condescending and for you tot ake it that way makes me make the unfortunate assumption that you are one that often feels victimized. I think no less of people who are fat then peopel who are thin and no more of people who are healthy vs unhealthy. Everyone is a person worthy of the same respect but he initial post had nothing to do with that.

1.) Me thinkst thou dost protest too much.

2.) No one is saying don't motivate or cheer for someone who COMMUNICATES a desire for such attentions. Existing in a fat body is NOT an acceptable advertisement for this sort of attention in and of itself. All we're saying don't pathologize all fat bodies and DON'T ASSUME based on your *clear* prejudices that it is invited attention because of body size as opposed to a patronizing invasion of space. Don't assume. Don't single out fat people, because targeting groups with special emphasis is absolutely an indication of inherent, internalized prejudice.
  • cqoconnell
    cqoconnell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I often want to cheer larger people jogging or cycling because I'm proud of them making the effort but don't want them to take it as a jibe or sarcastic, so I don't do it because I'd never want them to stop because they though they shouldn't be doing it, or are embarrassed or because of me saying the wrong thing.

In fact I want to hug them and tell them to keep going, it will all be worth it. :flowerforyou:

I've always wanted to do this but I fear that they'll take offense and take it the wrong way..

It's not that they're taking it the wrong way, it's that this mentality is extremely condescending. Not everyone who goes to the gym is there to lose weight, or hear that you and other absolute strangers assume they are unhealthy pariahs who need to be"fixed" to be treated as normal people. Trust me. Fat people are reminded daily that they are not wanted or need to change. Don't assume, don't think you know their reasons for being there. You want to respect them? Leave them alone unless they approach you, just like anyone else minding their own business. Treat people like all other people, with basic decency and respect for boundaries. Don't invade their space if you wouldn't do it to a thin person. Sincerely, from someone who was obese.
    Encourage them, tell them they are making improvements. Teach them to help them

You don't understand. No, no, and no. I've known super obese Polynesians who were heavy lifters, brothers, ran a moving business. Healthy blood, normal BP, good endurance. At the gym and at work were treated with respect. Take them anywhere casual and absolute strangers express their "concern" and give UNWARRANTED, UNPROVOKED advice on their "health." No. You don't know anything about a fat stranger at the gym. Doc gave my buddies seal of approval, told them it's all Gucci unless they start to feel adverse effects. They don't need your condescending reminders that they are"too" fat, unwanted, and must be exercising for weight loss, amirite? Because God forbid a fatty like riding a bike! Are you even aware that weekly exercise has health benefits even for those who don't exercise enough to lose weight? And not all fat people eat burgers and fries and cake. You can get fat by eating too many calories of any food. Reject the stigma. Learn some respect.

HELL YES. ALL this. Times 1,000.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good job female for being able to pick up that heavy weight.
    Wow! Good job black person for being well educated.
    Wow! Good job fat person for working out at the gym.

All three statements fundamentally imply that:

Most females are not strong.
    Most black people are not educated.
    Most fat people don't work out.

I don't know how to make this any simpler. Done.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    fat people do not need your approval

no, but it never hurts for them to know that not everyone sees a "fat person" when they look at them. some of us just see people. :flowerforyou:

going out of your way to prove to someone you see them as a person despite there fatness is condescending and unnecessary

i've never considered eye contact and smiling to be 'going out of my way' and i don't know anyone who does :flowerforyou:
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Won't lie. My first thought .."Oh thanks so much. Now that I have your approval I can move on with my life." Psh.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

the Original post may of been a bit condescending but really - this is a site where overweight people regularly express that they dont want to go to a gym because they are worried about being judged/mocked/whatever - when in reality most gym goers are happy to keep themselves to themselves and are not spending a significant amount of time thinking about fellow gym members whether they are fat or thin.

Obesity comes with an increased risk of health risks (which overtaken smoking as the largest health care cost in the US). It is what it is.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I, a lot of the time, feel like that 'fat girl' at the gym - but I'm working at it and getting better -

Just yesterday there was a man at the gym who had MUCH further to go to get to a healthy weight then me - and I was
    completely motivated by him being there - moreso than I am by the 'fit' people running around. I thought that if HE could be there,
    and not be complaining (at least where I could hear him), I didn't have a single excuse to not do my work, too -
    :)
  • PennyVonDread
    Options

the Original post may of been a bit condescending but really - this is a site where overweight people regularly express that they dont want to go to a gym because they are worried about being judged/mocked/whatever - when in reality most gym goers are happy to keep themselves to themselves and are not spending a significant amount of time thinking about feloow gym members whether they are fat or thin.

Obesity comes with an increased risk of health risks (which overtaken smoking as the largest health care cost in the US). It is what it is.

No, obesity doesn't *come with* increased risk in the sense that for-profit diet and health and exercise industries are paying boatloads of money to scare the public into believing. Correlation =/= Causation. Obesity doesn't CAUSE illness in and of itself and a majority of the fat population aren't even morbidly obese. The average woman has a BMI of27-28 in the USA (source BBC News global fat research) and most recent studies show women in the"overweight" category have the lowest mortality rates and risks. It is what it is. Most cherished art classics depict women as having an average bmi of about 27. BMI is an outdated and rather innacurate form of measurement made by a mathematician, not a physician. People who seek encouragement from various communities are rightfully encouraged. Individuals who happen to be fat and express no clear desire for support need their boundaries respected, period. Also, being unhealthy in any way, whether fat or smoking or whatever, is a personal problem. Spare individuals your ablist judgments.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's because I'm from the UK but we are not that sensitive, private yes but a bit thicker skinned.
    I am fat.
    I am unhealthy, I have joined the gym this week and if I'd been there every day for weeks and someone said well done to me I'd be freaking over the moon, people need adulation and encouragement every so often on this long journey.

But like I said I'm British and because we are generally a private "keep yourself to yourself" kind of nation no one would tell you a job well done.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options

Fat is a descriptive word that fat acceptance communities are working to reclaim. Western society associates fat with negativity. With bad guys and gluttony and greed and dopey sidekicks and never the hero. Never the protagonist who happens to be fat peripherally, but as a struggle or flaw or focal point. It's tiresome and hurtful that fat is never the new mother, the recovery from severe illness, the trait that just is without being a joke. Fat is just a word, and unless you are specifically utilizing it to bring someone down, stop contorting the connotation of a word which has a precisely descriptive denotation. It's cultural bias.
    [/quote]

I am not surprised to see that you are 22 (and from Portland).
    [/quote]

Again, don't assume. I'm Chicago born and raised. My ballsy opinions are my own. I moved to Portland because I hate sales tax, Chicago's traffic, and pumping my own gas as the station. Also because college is cheaper here and I like beer, bikes, and coffee.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

or perhaps instead of that- good job for doing a good job for the sake of giving a compliment on a job well done. It makes me sad that our society won't allow anyone else to give a compliment for fear it's coming from a negative place.

there are two sides to it and while yes I have had people walk up and say you're strong for a girl- most of the time it's just "wow you're strong" and if they don't- it is just a bumblefk and they don't know what's the right way to say it. It's a compliment- even if they are stupid about it.

But someone else nailed it- given the number of threads we see here regularly about people who talk about being overly uncomfortable with being in the gym and feeling judged, women talk about being in the weight room all the time feeling judged and uncomfortable.

Isn't it a just the least bit nice for other people to know- almost no one is judging you for being there? They are mentally cheering you on to succeed- much like they cheer on the person training for a marathon- the girl who is in step class trying to get her feet under her- the person trying to get a lift in even though half their body is disabled (two at my gym are like that), the girl getting to the squat rack and trying to get a barbell lift in.

I would say powerlifters get way more sht about lifting/mental judging and out right judging- and negativity than over weight people do in the gym.

I've never had a random person- EVER cheer me on for a lift- they just get annoyed and think I'm showing off or trying to make noise. The only people cheering on other people like that are other lifters.

Meanwhile- my personal theory is to encourage anyone who is there- doing whatever they are doing if the opportunity presents itself. I'm not walking up to random people and telling them good job- only if our paths cross and it's socially relevant.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

There's a balance to be found here. Just treat people as people and if you see someone who may need help, or who looks down, don't be too afraid to walk up and offer it or flash a smile and share a compliment. It costs you nothing, and you just may make a friend. I know so many people on here encourage ignoring everyone around you at the gym, but it's not necessary. Yes, focus on you and your workout, but don't be afraid to be social. It makes working in on a cherished piece of equipment (squat rack) or getting a spot when you need it so much easier.

Yes. I think there's a big difference between smiling at people at the gym (big AND small) and general friendliness (which I think is awesome) and cheering on fat people because they're Fat People in the Gym.

Keep in mind that some of us were once fat, so for me personally, when I see a fat person in the gym, I think "I was there and ****ing good job keep it up." That's me though. I tend not to mince words, though I also realize I have to choose carefully on occasion because not everyone is like me. I don't know the OP and where he's coming from. I guess I'm saying just don't rush to judgment here. And yes, it works both ways.

Just an example from today: I saw a large woman in the gym today who was obviously uncomfortable working her program and studying her notebook while she did it. It's obvious that she's new. I watched her, hesitated and did nothing. I kicked myself when I walked out and didn't come by and say something but I didn't want to come off as the arrogant prick either. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. Welcoming people to the gym makes it more comfortable, makes it easier for them to overcome the occasional true *kitten* hat (they are out there), and as a result keeps them coming back. When I started out more than a couple of guys did that for me. I'll never forget that.

I am so with you on that! I am 384 and when I go to the gym I am hella intimidated! I would love for someone to come over and say "Hey can I show you how to work that machine better?" I think people get their panties in a bunch because they are too damn sensitive, and I think it must be incredibly hard for a "fit " person to approach a "fat" person just for those reasons. THe fact that you care is HUGE! Often the fat feel forgoten and left out so I say be careful what you say but say it, sometimes people really need encouragement!! And if youre one of the fat crybabies, GET OVER IT! You didnt get fat overnight so it is not a surprise, let people be nice and offer that help and encouragement! stepping off soap box now....

Thanks for this. I read too many wall posts from friends who have felt overwhelmingly intimidated by the gym and "all those fit people," some to the point of sitting in their cars and crying before they go in. Hell, Planet Fitness' advertising campaign is based squarely on those fears. It seems to me that this post, and the original one that caused such a stir months ago, are along the same vein in that they're are attempting to address it squarely on and encourage, albeit in a way that doesn't resonate with everyone. Sure, they're not the most eloquent and sweetly worded posts out there but the sentiment is much better than "hey, screw you, you're on your own!"

It never hurts to smile at someone and help them come out of their shell. As I said, it costs most of us nothing, and could mean the world to someone else. I agree though that no one should ever walk up to someone and actually say what the OP wrote. I doubt the OP would even do that though. Inner monologue. Inner . . .
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat person, and I love encouragement. The honks when I'm riding my bike or the cheers when I'm trying to run are awesome. The piggy sounds suck, but I have to remind myself that people's actions reflect on them, not me. So when someone cheers me on it's because they are an encouraging spirit, and when they don't, it's also a reflection of them.

I'm not proud to be fat. I want to be healthy. But I'm willing to admit that right now, I am this large person who is struggling. That's what is real. So come and tell me that you notice me working out and you're proud of me. I love that - it's encouraging to me, personally, and I would welcome it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

or perhaps instead of that- good job for doing a good job for the sake of giving a compliment on a job well done. It makes me sad that our society won't allow anyone else to give a compliment for fear it's coming from a negative place.

there are two sides to it and while yes I have had people walk up and say you're strong for a girl- most of the time it's just "wow you're strong" and if they don't- it is just a bumblefk and they don't know what's the right way to say it. It's a compliment- even if they are stupid about it.

But someone else nailed it- given the number of threads we see here regularly about people who talk about being overly uncomfortable with being in the gym and feeling judged, women talk about being in the weight room all the time feeling judged and uncomfortable.

Isn't it a just the least bit nice for other people to know- almost no one is judging you for being there? They are mentally cheering you on to succeed- much like they cheer on the person training for a marathon- the girl who is in step class trying to get her feet under her- the person trying to get a lift in even though half their body is disabled (two at my gym are like that), the girl getting to the squat rack and trying to get a barbell lift in.

I would say powerlifters get way more sht about lifting/mental judging and out right judging- and negativity than over weight people do in the gym.

I've never had a random person- EVER cheer me on for a lift- they just get annoyed and think I'm showing off or trying to make noise. The only people cheering on other people like that are other lifters.

Meanwhile- my personal theory is to encourage anyone who is there- doing whatever they are doing if the opportunity presents itself. I'm not walking up to random people and telling them good job- only if our paths cross and it's socially relevant.

I have nothing negative to say about your post. I think it's wonderful to be pleasant and encouraging, IF, you're only goal is to be pleasant and encouraging.

This OP however was specifically isolating a single group of people, and separating them in to a different category. They aren't just gym people, they are FAT gym people. So instead of saying, don't worry no one is noticing you or judging you, it highlights that people are noticing you specifically, and even if the judgement being made isn't a negative one, it's still telling "fat" people, that yes, people are noticing you, and yes they are judging you, because you're fat.