Fat people in the gym

Options
I do not look at you to look down on you or because I think you have nothing to do there.
I look at you in admiration! remember that

I know how hard it is to get started(been there myself), and how easy it is to quit.
But remember this is a lifetime commitment, not a quick fix.
And most of the people at the gym are more than happy to help if you ask.

Now get back in there and kick some butt !

Replies

• Red_Nationhtx
    Red_Nationhtx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thats real bro...
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I often want to cheer larger people jogging or cycling because I'm proud of them making the effort but don't want them to take it as a jibe or sarcastic, so I don't do it because I'd never want them to stop because they though they shouldn't be doing it, or are embarrassed or because of me saying the wrong thing.

In fact I want to hug them and tell them to keep going, it will all be worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    I often want to cheer larger people jogging or cycling because I'm proud of them making the effort but don't want them to take it as a jibe or sarcastic, so I don't do it because I'd never want them to stop because they though they shouldn't be doing it, or are embarrassed or because of me saying the wrong thing.

In fact I want to hug them and tell them to keep going, it will all be worth it. :flowerforyou:

I've always wanted to do this but I fear that they'll take offense and take it the wrong way..
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I've always wanted to do this but I fear that they'll take offense and take it the wrong way..

It's not that they're taking it the wrong way, it's that this mentality is extremely condescending. Not everyone who goes to the gym is there to lose weight, or hear that you and other absolute strangers assume they are unhealthy pariahs who need to be"fixed" to be treated as normal people. Trust me. Fat people are reminded daily that they are not wanted or need to change. Don't assume, don't think you know their reasons for being there. You want to respect them? Leave them alone unless they approach you, just like anyone else minding their own business. Treat people like all other people, with basic decency and respect for boundaries. Don't invade their space if you wouldn't do it to a thin person. Sincerely, from someone who was obese.
  • modevia
    modevia Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree with you, you gotta support them. I have been one of them.
    I honestly love to see people working hard too. but in my case i decided to work out at home with beachbody DVDs. I find it more comfortable, some people do feel ok with overweight people working out at the gym but some other people just look you down... it happens
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Well said.

On a related note, I saw a woman working out at the gym that was going through chemo(bald head, etc....)
    Her form on the machines was TERRIBLE, and I was so tempted to walk over and help her, but I thought she might take it the wrong way, so I kept my mouth shut.
    Anyway, on her own, she improved, so I am impressed with her on so many levels, and proud I kept my trap shut.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

It's not that they're taking it the wrong way, it's that this mentality is extremely condescending. Not everyone who goes to the gym is there to lose weight, or hear that you and other absolute strangers assume they are unhealthy pariahs who need to be"fixed" to be treated as normal people. Trust me. Fat people are reminded daily that they are not wanted or need to change. Don't assume, don't think you know their reasons for being there. You want to respect them? Leave them alone unless they approach you, just like anyone else minding their own business. Treat people like all other people, with basic decency and respect for boundaries. Don't invade their space if you wouldn't do it to a thin person. Sincerely, from someone who was obese.

Quoted for truth!

Fat people don't need your approval or 'encouragement' and most probably don't care if you think they're awesome or inspiring or whatever. Even if you were once fat yourself.

I actually can't think of anything more condescending than clapping for a stranger on a treadmill.

If someone asks for your help? Awesome. But otherwise I just can't understand this attitude.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    Encourage them, tell them they are making improvements. Teach them to help them
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

There's a balance to be found here. Just treat people as people and if you see someone who may need help, or who looks down, don't be too afraid to walk up and offer it or flash a smile and share a compliment. It costs you nothing, and you just may make a friend. I know so many people on here encourage ignoring everyone around you at the gym, but it's not necessary. Yes, focus on you and your workout, but don't be afraid to be social. It makes working in on a cherished piece of equipment (squat rack) or getting a spot when you need it so much easier.
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!1 Very well said

But if I do fall or something, feel free to laugh. :flowerforyou:
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

There's a balance to be found here. Just treat people as people and if you see someone who may need help, or who looks down, don't be too afraid to walk up and offer it or flash a smile and share a compliment. It costs you nothing, and you just may make a friend. I know so many people on here encourage ignoring everyone around you at the gym, but it's not necessary. Yes, focus on you and your workout, but don't be afraid to be social. It makes working in on a cherished piece of equipment (squat rack) or getting a spot when you need it so much easier.

Yes. I think there's a big difference between smiling at people at the gym (big AND small) and general friendliness (which I think is awesome) and cheering on fat people because they're Fat People in the Gym.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Even at my very heaviest, I was a regular exerciser. I could easily keep up with everyone in group fitness classes, run a 5K, bike 25 miles, etc.

I know people meant well, but I always inwardly cringed whenever some thin, fit-looking person came up and basically congratulated me on my presence at the gym. Comments like 'Keep it up! You'll get there, too!' and 'I can't believe how easily you kept up in that step class!' always made me feel like I was really, noticeably out of place.

Fortunately, I have thick skin and have never really cared what people think of me, so I always ignored the comments, smiled and said something neutral in response like 'You too!'

I guess some people like the verbal support, others may find it rude. It's a thin line to tread!
  • PennyVonDread
    Options
    Encourage them, tell them they are making improvements. Teach them to help them

You don't understand. No, no, and no. I've known super obese Polynesians who were heavy lifters, brothers, ran a moving business. Healthy blood, normal BP, good endurance. At the gym and at work were treated with respect. Take them anywhere casual and absolute strangers express their "concern" and give UNWARRANTED, UNPROVOKED advice on their "health." No. You don't know anything about a fat stranger at the gym. Doc gave my buddies seal of approval, told them it's all Gucci unless they start to feel adverse effects. They don't need your condescending reminders that they are"too" fat, unwanted, and must be exercising for weight loss, amirite? Because God forbid a fatty like riding a bike! Are you even aware that weekly exercise has health benefits even for those who don't exercise enough to lose weight? And not all fat people eat burgers and fries and cake. You can get fat by eating too many calories of any food. Reject the stigma. Learn some respect.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    nice post, but you should use a different word than "fat"........just like thin people don't like the word "skinny"
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!1 Very well said

But if I do fall or something, feel free to laugh. :flowerforyou:

Or if I fart while doing incline crunches. It's happened before...
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    nice post, but you should use a different word than "fat"........just like thin people don't like the word "skinny"

The word fat really is subjective.

do I have low self esteem? Absolutely not.
    Am I fat? Yes I am fat.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Yes. I think there's a big difference between smiling at people at the gym (big AND small) and general friendliness (which I think is awesome) and cheering on fat people because they're Fat People in the Gym.

Keep in mind that some of us were once fat, so for me personally, when I see a fat person in the gym, I think "I was there and ****ing good job keep it up." That's me though. I tend not to mince words, though I also realize I have to choose carefully on occasion because not everyone is like me. I don't know the OP and where he's coming from. I guess I'm saying just don't rush to judgment here. And yes, it works both ways.

Just an example from today: I saw a large woman in the gym today who was obviously uncomfortable working her program and studying her notebook while she did it. It's obvious that she's new. I watched her, hesitated and did nothing. I kicked myself when I walked out and didn't come by and say something but I didn't want to come off as the arrogant prick either. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. Welcoming people to the gym makes it more comfortable, makes it easier for them to overcome the occasional true *kitten* hat (they are out there), and as a result keeps them coming back. When I started out more than a couple of guys did that for me. I'll never forget that.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying this. I was astonished at the presumption involved in doing something like this.

It's. Not. About. You.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options

The word fat really is subjective.

do I have low self esteem? Absolutely not.
    Am I fat? Yes I am fat.

Fat is a descriptive word that fat acceptance communities are working to reclaim. Western society associates fat with negativity. With bad guys and gluttony and greed and dopey sidekicks and never the hero. Never the protagonist who happens to be fat peripherally, but as a struggle or flaw or focal point. It's tiresome and hurtful that fat is never the new mother, the recovery from severe illness, the trait that just is without being a joke. Fat is just a word, and unless you are specifically utilizing it to bring someone down, stop contorting the connotation of a word which has a precisely descriptive denotation. It's cultural bias.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that some of us were once fat, so for me personally, when I see a fat person in the gym, I think "I was there and ****ing good job keep it up." That's me though. I tend not to mince words, though I also realize I have to choose carefully on occasion because not everyone is like me. I don't know the OP and where he's coming from. I guess I'm saying just don't rush to judgment here. And yes, it works both ways.

Just an example from today: I saw a large woman in the gym today who was obviously uncomfortable working her program and studying her notebook while she did it. It's obvious that she's new. I watched her, hesitated and did nothing. I kicked myself when I walked out and didn't come by and say something but I didn't want to come off as the arrogant prick either. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. Welcoming people to the gym makes it more comfortable, makes it easier for them to overcome the occasional true *kitten* hat (they are out there), and as a result keeps them coming back. When I started out more than a couple of guys did that for me. I'll never forget that.

If it makes you feel better, if I had been that person, I almost certainly wouldn't have wanted that interaction. I workout in the wee hours of the morning so I can avoid any attempts at socialization.

Hell is other people. Then again, I'm an introvert, and other people exhaust me.