Fat people in the gym

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've never approached someone to congratulate them on merely being at the gym, but I seem to manage to always find something to say to pretty much anyone. People say hello now. The bros today trash talked with me. Someone worked in on the squat rack when I offered to let him. The elderly woman at the water fountain asked me to fill her bottle and told me my daughter was pretty. And there were many more interactions. Friendliness comes from just being nice and chatting about the weather or asking for a spotter or handing someone a clean towel just because they're behind you when you get one. Saying "good job for showing up" is just awkward and makes everyone uncomfortable.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I live in a really small town and have gone from nearly 400 pounds to around 175 the past few years. People come up to me all the time and talk to me about it uninvited. It's alright I guess as long as it stops at talking. Sometime they'll start feeling me up and wanting to see my skin and ****. It's weird :/
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I do not look at you to look down on you or because I think you have nothing to do there.
    I look at you in admiration! remember that

I know how hard it is to get started(been there myself), and how easy it is to quit.
    But remember this is a lifetime commitment, not a quick fix.
    And most of the people at the gym are more than happy to help if you ask.

Now get back in there and kick some butt !

Get over yourself, you look at them and think how much better you are. Nobody in the gym gives a crap what you think about anything. They don't look at you and think hey, I wanna look like that summer's eve who's constantly checking himself out in the mirrors someday. They don't see you as some beautiful fitness guru with all the answers to their problems; that's just how you see yourself...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    nice post, but you should use a different word than "fat"........just like thin people don't like the word "skinny"

The word fat really is subjective.

do I have low self esteem? Absolutely not.
    Am I fat? Yes I am fat.

My self esteem is healthy also. I would however prefer to use the correct expressions. That is why I used to call myself overweight and currently I call myself obese.......but I do not call myself or anyone else fat .
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Was there some sort of point op was trying to make?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!1 Very well said

But if I do fall or something, feel free to laugh. :flowerforyou:

Or if I fart while doing incline crunches. It's happened before...

Been there and done that, and had to work hard to pretend I was unaware of it as the person working out a few mats along glanced in my direction, lol.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Great job OP! I knew you would figure out how to make a forum post someday! Nice to see people like you participating. :)
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great job OP! I knew you would figure out how to make a forum post someday! Nice to see people like you participating. :)

FTW :drinker:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

LOL exactly :D
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Bahaa, oh, the comments...
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I never thought anyone looked at me at the gym with anything but motivation. I always get "Kick *kitten* job!" comments like that. But every-now and then I have a woman tell me about classes to take and diet pills. I've since learned to ignore her.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Just the other day I was shooting some hoops when a black man came up to me, gave me a high five, and said, "Keep it up short white boy!"

I felt so proud.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I love this. As a fat girl who runs, I like to avoid any attention, "positive" or negative.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't drive next to a random jogger blasting "eye of the tiger" some will laugh, others will spray you with pepper spray...
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I often want to cheer larger people jogging or cycling because I'm proud of them making the effort but don't want them to take it as a jibe or sarcastic, so I don't do it because I'd never want them to stop because they though they shouldn't be doing it, or are embarrassed or because of me saying the wrong thing.

In fact I want to hug them and tell them to keep going, it will all be worth it. :flowerforyou:

I've always wanted to do this but I fear that they'll take offense and take it the wrong way..
    [/qu
    It's not that they're taking it the wrong way, it's that this mentality is extremely condescending. Not everyone who goes to the gym is there to lose weight, or hear that you and other absolute strangers assume they are unhealthy pariahs who need to be"fixed" to be treated as normal people. Trust me. Fat people are reminded daily that they are not wanted or need to change. Don't assume, don't think you know their reasons for being there. You want to respect them? Leave them alone unless they approach you, just like anyone else minding their own business. Treat people like all other people, with basic decency and respect for boundaries. Don't invade their space if you wouldn't do it to a thin person. Sincerely, from someone who was obese.
    I wish there was a like button !!!!!!!!!! like!!!!!!!!! :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    As a fat guy at the gym, I'm kinda happy that I lift weights as opposed to cardio. That way, any staring or compliments are genuine and in admiration of my lifts rather than some patronizing "Good for you!" for busting my *kitten* on a treadmill like some child who learned 1+1.

This is also why I do my running at night.
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in the group that finds this condescending. I know that it's intended to be helpful, but really, leave me alone. Let me do my thing and you do yours. I don't give you two seconds of time
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm overweight, and if woman came up to me in the locker room who was fit and was like "great job on the treadmill" or whatever and told me she used to be obese too and hard work really pays off, I would be TOTALLY complimented. I would also have a real life person to like, look up to, in a way. If a man came up to me in the gym and was like "you're working hard there good job" or wanted to correct my form because he didn't want me to hurt my knees or whatever, I'd also take it as a compliment. I'd rather something like that than checking out my *kitten* or making winky-faces at me through the mirror...