Starting birth control soon and worried

Options
I am starting birth control soon for endometriosis and I am worried about weight gain, which I hear is a common side effect. I will be taking Lyza/norethindrone, a progestin-only pill. I can't take anything with estrogen because it's a risk factor for my neurological condition, so this is what I'm stuck with. Weight gain is also a risk factor, so it's really important that I don't put on any more.

I've read a lot of different things about bc and weight gain - some say it's because it increases your appetite, some say it's just water retention, some say it's a metabolism thing. So I'm not sure exactly how or if I can prevent myself from gaining weight while I'm on the pill.

Do any of you ladies who take bc have advice? What has your experience been with bc? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Birth control has never caused me to gain weight.
  • tunastamper
    tunastamper Posts: 12
    Options

Good to know. :) Maybe I'll be one of those lucky women who don't have any trouble with it.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Ditto. I started bc in October, and have continued to lose weight. Honestly, I think it helps my cravings too, as my hormones are more regulated.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

Ditto on this. I've taken a variety of oral and currently use implanon and over the years if my weight is fluctuating it's always been because of my diet.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doc about it. There are some pills that are worse for weight gain than others, and pills affect everyone differently. If the pill you take causes weight gain for you, you can switch to a different one.
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I think it depends on the type you are taking and how your body will react to it. In my entire life I have been on the regular pill (no weight change), the Nuvaring (lost weight) and a low estrogen pill (gained 10 lbs). Everything is different. It takes about 3 months for a birth control hormone to take full effect on your body.
  • tunastamper
    tunastamper Posts: 12
    Options
    Talk with your doc about it. There are some pills that are worse for weight gain than others, and pills affect everyone differently. If the pill you take causes weight gain for you, you can switch to a different one.

I brought it up with her, but like most doctors, her response was, "You shouldn't have many side effects on such a low dose." Which has proven not to be true for me with many, many drugs. Yet this is the response I get the majority of the time when I ask. I've found it's more helpful to discuss these things with a knowledgeable pharmacist, so maybe I'll try that.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. The pill doesn't cause weight gain, but there's a chance it will increase your appetite. That's usually how people end up gaining weight on it. I just got back on the pill about 6 weeks ago and I haven't gained any weight at all (which is actually kind of sad since I'm currently trying to put a few lbs back on).
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've tried nearly every b/c out there, and have only gained weight on the depo shot.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Same.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Most birth controls are so low-hormone that weight gain is VERY uncommon.

If it is, it's most likely from an increased appetite and over-eating.

ETA: spelling.
  • ameliad87
    ameliad87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no pills caused me to gain weight, but Depo definitely did. But that could have also been as it was right after I had my kid and I was breastfeeding so I was eating more in general (more than what you need to while breastfeeding).
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    According to my gyno, typically it is not the birth control itself that causes weight gain, however it does cause you to be more hungry. Just control the urges and you should be fine.

Edit: I went to her with my worries about gaining weight, I was pretty convinced that the birth control was making me gain. Nope, it was the fact that I was eating a lot that made me gain weight. That was one of the moments of realization that kicked me into gear with losing weight.
  • mushu0517
    mushu0517 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On every single form of BC I was on I have gained weight so I stopped altogther. I wish that I was like some of you....
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging here, you'll probably be fine. I take hormonal birth control for my pcos
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The BCP has different effects on different women because we're all....well...different. Those who say it doesn't make you gain weight are just as wrong/right as those who say it does make you gain weight. lol

Honestly, it's going to take you about 3 months for your body to get used to it, regulate itself, and then you'll find out. :)
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Progestin-only bc has less hormones/side affects than the others so the odds are in your favor. But you wont know until you start taking it.

I get more cravings around TOM but I take seasonal so it's only 4 times a year.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Honestly, it's going to take you about 3 months for your body to get used to it, regulate itself, and then you'll find out. :)

Came back to echo this statement! and not just for weight! When I first started bc I had the morning sickness/nausea for awhile, as well as my skin breaking out like crazy. It's all settled down now, and I'm back to no nausea, and just my typical one giant zit right before my period :-)
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've never gained weight on birth control, but everyone is different.

Pay attention to your body as you take it, if you notice gain without cause, change to a different form of birth control until you find something that works,
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've never gained weight on the pill. Other drugs made me gain 50 pounds, but I've never gained a single one from birth control.