Hi....very new to this!

Options
Hello All!

My name is Debs. I am 42 years old, a former children's nurse (now work for myself) and live In London.

After giving up nursing 4 years ago due to some health issues, I have slowly gained about a stone in weight, basically because my lifestyle now is much more sedentary. I used to be on my feet for over 12 hours on a shift, only sitting down for a very rushed break, and now as I work from home, I spend much more time sitting (and grazing) which has been my downfall really!

I'm not looking to lose a ton of weight. I am 5 ft. 7" and weigh 154lbs at the moment, and have gone up two dress sizes over the past few years. I guess I just feel a bit of a slob at the moment, and am so motivated to get my body back in order, hopefully to get back to my former self. I would like to lose about 10 pounds if I can.

Despite my health background, I am not the brightest spark when it comes to all of this calorie and fitness stuff, so could really use a little advice right now. I have been doing the whole food/exercise diary thing, and apparently am falling regularly short of my required calorie intake per day.

Is this a definite that in order to see some changes I need to be hitting the calorie mark?

I understand that if the body does not see enough calories it risks going into 'starvation mode' so weight loss is harder to attain, but I just wondered if consistent low intake is inadvisable? Should I be religiously aiming to hit the mark intake wise?
Sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question, but until I hit my 40s, I never really gained weight before, but after that it was all downhill, lol!

So glad to have found this great site, and any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• fequick
    fequick Posts: 16
    Options
    Once you put in your information MFP gives you a suggested number that has been proven by research and experimental trials with others. The number is based on your weight and hight. It varies per person. I would def use the number they give me as a blue print. So far it has worked for me. I have lost 3 lbs within this week already. If your not a person that likes to go to the gym do youtube workout videos at home. I do Zumba from youtube at home when I don't want to go or can't go to the gym. Start out doing 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until your doing the hour. I'm 268lbs today and I can hang in there an hour. You can do it! I want say good luck I say be blessed in your weightloss endeavors it's harder when your smaller and have less weight to lose. Most people think it a simple task, but you have to work much harder.
  • shufflewick71
    shufflewick71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply, fequick. I am definitely going to keep using the figures as a guideline now.

I am definitely not a lover of the gym! When I was nursing I used to go to the gym after a night shift, but I found I was going less and less so stopped my membership. I prefer to work out at home too. I have an exercise bike and have been using it every day for 15 minutes, twice a day, which I really enjoy as I pass the time whilst watching some tv at the same time! I hope to increase the time as you suggest.

Thank you for the great suggestion about Youtube videos. I will definitely check it out for some Zumba. I would be really keen to try some Yoga too maybe.

Thank you very much for your kind reply, and I too wish you all the luck in the world with your weight loss.