Vegan butter?

Options
fknlardarse
fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
Anyone recommend a good vegan butter that could be spread on toast? Trying to limit my dairy intake. Thanks!

Replies

• kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Vitalite, Pure (the sunflower or olive ones are the nicest) or biona coconut. x
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance on the topic - but wouldn't that be margarine?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Good ol' fashioned peanut butter?
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I really like Pure.
  • fknlardarse
    Options

Yes, sorry, I should have explained that I can't stand margarine (urgh the thought makes me feel sick) I'm looking for something unprocessed, no chemicals, no hydrogenated fats. Like cocoa butter or Shea butter? Is that nice on toast? Anything similar?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Anyone recommend a good vegan butter that could be spread on toast? Trying to limit my dairy intake. Thanks!

That doesn't even sound right.................

Why not use the real thing. Using highly processed franken food is not healthy.

Why do most vegans think their lifestyle is so superior when it is filled with processed foods???

I can really on respect a vegan that relies on whole foods for nutrition and sustinance.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Raw cashew or almond butter is supposed to have a mild taste similar to butter. I've seen them recommended in recipes for homemade dairy free chocolate.

But .. do you really put that much butter on your toast?
  • TeeMac64
    TeeMac64 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    is Earth Balance vegan?
    I like that...
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've spread coconut oil on toasted english muffins. It works just as good as butter.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil? It's a solid at room temperature.
  • fknlardarse
    Options

Why do most vegans think their lifestyle is so superior when it is filled with processed foods???

I can really on respect a vegan that relies on whole foods for nutrition and sustinance.

Sorry? Why does that not sound right? I'm looking for something unprocessed instead of butter as I don't want to eat dairy and don't want to eat processed chemical alternatives like margarine. I don't understand what you mean by 'why not eat the real thing' ?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Yes, sorry, I should have explained that I can't stand margarine (urgh the thought makes me feel sick) I'm looking for something unprocessed, no chemicals, no hydrogenated fats. Like cocoa butter or Shea butter? Is that nice on toast? Anything similar?

Wait?? If your vegan, your surely not eating bread that is baked with animal products and perhaps honey????

Every vegan I know says that bread is not allowed due to the use of animal products.

And yes, margarine is totally disgusting. Nothing will compare to a nice pat of grass fed butter though.

Perhaps you should try a nut butter or coconut oil as it can be used just like butter.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Becel makes one but I'm not sure on the taste.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Sorry? Why does that not sound right? I'm looking for something unprocessed instead of butter as I don't want to eat dairy and don't want to eat processed chemical alternatives like margarine. I don't understand what you mean by 'why not eat the real thing' ?

Because anything vegan similar to butter is going to be margarine................no way around that.

And secondly, bread is not vegan.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    is Earth Balance vegan?
    I like that...
    Yes, it is.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    I'll try out Pure, earth balance and almond butter, thanks for the helpful tips, appreciate it. :smile:
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil? It's a solid at room temperature.

So is butter.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Vegan butter didn't sound very appetizing so they called it margarine instead
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Because anything vegan similar to butter is going to be margarine................no way around that.

Not ALL bread is vegan, but I have never had a problem finding vegan bread in any grocery store.
    Flour, yeast, water, salt, maybe a sweetener or oil...? what else do you really need?
  • fknlardarse
    Options

Totally disagree with your first point about no way around margarine, as the other posts show. Almond butter is not margarine and is not processed or full of chemicals if you pick a decent organic make.
    Thanks for pointing out that bread is not vegan, just went to check the ingredients and um, yeah, actually nothing in there whatsoever derived from an animal. I don't know what bread your eating but mines fine.
    Not sure why you feel the need to deride my simple question asking for advice on vegan butter and complain that vegans are all superior and you only respect those eating wholefoods when you know absolutely nothing whatsoever about what I eat or my morals or how I live my life. No need.