Does long session of cardio cuts the appetite?

Options
Hi,

This morning I do a long session of cardio (run 17k in 90 minutes), and I burnt over 1200 kcals (which I think it's a lot...). I dont have any appetite today. I was wondering whether it's normal. Usually I am very hungry the day after, I feel like my body needs 24 hours to "speak up" and say "hi I am starving".

I have been running almost all my life. I was thinkking maybe my body is used to this exercise.

Jamal

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I've read that exercise is an appetite supressant

typically i'm not very hungry immediately after a work out, particularly a cardio workout.

i think over the course of time it will end up naturally increasing your appetite
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    On here I see a lot of people say they are starving the next day after hard/long workouts (dirty joke GO!!!!)

I personally am starving the day OF my workout- moderately hungry the next day.

think it's really individual as to how your body personally reacts and requests food.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    it can be related to muscle growth. When I do a running, I don't really feel my muscle worked out. Probably because my body is used to it.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a few years and when I run 15+ miles or do longer distance speed work I have no appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat within an hour of the workout to help rebuild/repair and prevent soreness.

When I lift, I notice I am extremely hungry those days most of the time but I'm still newer to lifting and increasing my weights frequently as a result. Some days when I lift I think I might have to eat my arm before I get home or I may starve to death haha

Everyone is probably a little different.
  • perestroika1
    perestroika1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I always run on my lunch break at work (around 11am-I know..early!) and I only eat breakfast sometimes..(don't want to hear it ;)) but after I run I'm not usually hungry until around 1pm or so..then it's only a little. I'll usually eat half my lunch at 1 then the other half around 3. :)
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    ok so it's normal behaviour. I run this morning and I feel like I can eat my arm this evening. I did not have any appetite at lunch.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    for me the appetite supressant effect is only a few hours
  • JoRocka
    Options
    When I lift, I notice I am extremely hungry those days most of the time but I'm still newer to lifting and increasing my weights frequently as a result. Some days when I lift I think I might have to eat my arm before I get home or I may starve to death haha

lived 3-5 miles from my gym- and I almost always had to have a snack- I was ravenous on the way home.

Seriously- who detours for a snack when it's a 10 minute drive??? DAFUK??

me- that's who.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options

lived 3-5 miles from my gym- and I almost always had to have a snack- I was ravenous on the way home.

me- that's who.

I did that the other morning on my way to work after my workout! Pulled into a gas station and bought myself a sack of beef jerky. Lol!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Does long session of cardio cuts the appetite?

It alters degrees from person to another, but they trend to have more the larger appetite.
  • JoRocka
    Options

me- that's who.

I did that the other morning on my way to work after my workout! Pulled into a gas station and bought myself a sack of beef jerky. Lol!

I would say SHAMEFUL (to us both) but have a very large sumo sized inner fat kid- and I refuse to be ashamed.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I've always found I'm ravenous after exercise.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Cardio works as an appetite suppressant for me but I get ravenous after a good lifting session.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few others, cardio=not hungry (until the nexy day usually), lifting =FREAKING RAVENOUS. And like almost instantly.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am the complete opposite. After lifting, I make myself have a protein shake, mostly to ensure I get enough protein in during the day (and everyone says having the shake after you workout is a good time).But for the most part, I don't notice that I'm hungry.

After I do any amount of running, I have to physically remove myself from the kitchen to avoid eating everything in sight.

The only exception to this is if I do a long run (20+ miles): I know I should eat, but I just don't want to. Of course, what better time is there to?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes me really hungry the next day. When I run or cycle, my stomach starts growling after about an hour, but a small snack after the run is usually enough to keep me going until the next meal.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I gotta concur with everyone else. My appetite is suppressed for a few hours after any vigorous exercise, then I am ravenous the next day.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Cardio works as an appetite suppressant for me but I get ravenous after a good lifting session.

Agree with you. I just finished my weight lifting session and I am ravenous. Yesterday I had a cardio session and was not hungry at all after.

I find this a bit strange because you burn much more kcal in a cardio session than during a weight lifting....
  • rdberg1957
    rdberg1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Even though I am working on a reduced carb plan (not low carb per se, about 40% calories from carbs), I started adding extra carbs (clif bar) prior to a longer cardio workout so that I have enough calories available. I am still below my total for the day because of the extra calorie burn, but I am less hungry throughout the day if I have a good amount of carbs and protein before the workout. It helps if I can get a 20 minute nap in after the workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do a 40ish mile ride every Saturday and I am generally not hungry immediately after (which is why I have a recovery smoothie...I need the nutrients but I'm just not wanting to actually eat anything). I am however pretty much insatiable after about 3 hours and for the rest of the day and usually into the next.