Vegan butter?

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Anyone recommend a good vegan butter that could be spread on toast? Trying to limit my dairy intake. Thanks!

If I don't want butter on my occasional slice of bread or toast, I drizzle it with EVO.....the way people in mediterranean countries do.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options

"this is why people dont like vegans"

I concur. When eating, a totally human event, becomes an issue on morality and animal rights (in a world where a dog gets a college degree; yes it happened. I read about it yesterday) it's time to say "you guys are being ridiculous."

I get it; let's not abuse animals. But where does the line get drawn? Personally, and this is only MY observation, I think that most vegans do it for the attention and the conflict it elicits. Once again, MY opionon and you know what they say about opinions....

I haven't had a go at anyone about eating animal products. I'm currently exploring a vegan diet and finding out about my options. My husband eats meat. I don't have a go at him. It's all personal choice. I'm just looking for a diet that I personally feel comfortable with yet I somehow seem to be getting tarred with a brush that does not apply to me and I don't know why. I only asked for tips on alternatives to butter and tried to keep my post short, didn't explain myself or my motives as I didn't think it was necessary.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    And secondly, bread is not vegan.

[shakes head]

I have three types of bread in the freezer and none have animal products........and I am not even a vegetarian ( anymore ) and much less a vegan. The bread I bake myself also has no animal products....why ? Because I like it that way for taste reasons.
    So please inform yourself, before you make generalized statements.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Vegan threads never disappoint. Someone gets self-righteous with someone for asking for a product recommendation and the vegans are the problem. Never ever fails. :laugh: This is why vegans don't like self-righteous non-vegans who think all vegans are identical.

OP, I can't think of a recommendation other than coconut oil or some kind of olive oil dip. If you are willing to go with a more processed products, the brand suggestions in thread are pretty good ones. I haven't had this one in years, but there's one called Willow Run that is yummy. There are some recipes on pinterest to make your own vegan butter, but I've never tried any of them and can't attest to how good they are.

Some bread is vegan, some isn't. Watch out for things like enzymes, L-Cysteine, and natural flavors.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Any of the nut butters .. Peanut etc.....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdqWeEjy7QHnKUxbU8PPxJANENH62Sqo3ddI9MmPHk5k3pF3-8 \m/
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Raw cashew or almond butter is supposed to have a mild taste similar to butter. I've seen them recommended in recipes for homemade dairy free chocolate.

But .. do you really put that much butter on your toast?

Cashew butter is really good- really sweet though!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    AVOCADO ;)
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I get it; let's not abuse animals. But where does the line get drawn? Personally, and this is only MY observation, I think that most vegans do it for the attention and the conflict it elicits. Once again, MY opionon and you know what they say about opinions....

I'm going to need a peer-reviewed study on that and some evidence that you know most of the world's vegans. Nah, kidding. Your opinion is probably affected (like everyone's) by confirmation bias. You pay attention to what fits your beliefs and disregard what doesn't. Also, every group has more vocal members who may be influenced by things like attention and conflict; the ones who aren't in for things like that don't get noticed nearly as often.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    tumblr_n3z6piMJA11sq1m5wo1_500.jpg
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you are just trying to limit dairy you might consider a blended butter product. Something made with just oil and butter. These do not need to be hydrogenated to be solid and would limit your dairy volume. If you are trying to cut dairy and go vegan there are very few products that would really meet your needs since many of the products out there use gelatin as an agent to solidify them which is not vegan. Removing hydrogenated oils they had to go somewhere and gelatin seems to be the new tool. You might be able to find a product made with chia as a thickener that will get you a margarine type feel (you won't get a butter feel) but it won't melt like any of the other products would.

I do find that vegans get more gruff than folks who are classified as vegetarian (me being one of them). But then I can't eat meat without getting sick so it isn't like I really choose to be a vegetarian. Luckily I can do dairy and if they take away my cheese they might as well shoot me :smile:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance on the topic - but wouldn't that be margarine?

actually margarine typically has whey in it

I like Earth Balance
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    LOL at the "no bread is vegan". My bag of pita at home:
    yeast, flour, salt, vegetable oil, water. It does dry out very quickly if left exposed to air.

My wife was vegetarian. She does it fish now (she is a "sustainable food" eater, so low-environmental impact foods). She is not sanctimonious. It was mind boggling the amount of debate she had to dodge with people trying to argue with her. She just ate what she wanted, no preaching. What is the problem? It's not like they are the effing vegan Krishnas invading your thread. Why come and pollute it with your unsolicited dietary criticism? It's not like the OP goes to the paleo posts and says "you guys have no effing idea what the paleolithic people actually ate, and they died at 25".

I am lactose intolerant. I tried many of the fake butters and margarines. They are all hideous to me.

I love all nut butters, and I have to be careful with the coconut spread (mixture of oil and pulp, Manna makes one) which I find delicious. Even has some of the saltiness.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    tumblr_n3z6piMJA11sq1m5wo1_500.jpg

Maybe that explains my admittedly irrational dislike for him.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    "this is why people dont like vegans"

I concur. When eating, a totally human event, becomes an issue on morality and animal rights (in a world where a dog gets a college degree; yes it happened. I read about it yesterday) it's time to say "you guys are being ridiculous."

I think that there are people who are rational, and people who aren't. People are irrational will make a fool out of themselves, with whatever they endorse or believe (for example: i agree with you that a dog getting a degree is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, but at the same time I've vegan), including veganism.

I actually do agree with you, that there are some vegans who make that lifestyle choice merely so that they can act elitist, and cause conflict. Not all vegans are like that though. (I do notice that you say most vegans though- thank you for not lumping all vegetarians/vegans into a group, with extremists).
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Vegan threads never disappoint. Someone gets self-righteous with someone for asking for a product recommendation and the vegans are the problem. Never ever fails. :laugh: This is why vegans don't like self-righteous non-vegans who think all vegans are identical.

OP, I can't think of a recommendation other than coconut oil or some kind of olive oil dip. If you are willing to go with a more processed products, the brand suggestions in thread are pretty good ones. I haven't had this one in years, but there's one called Willow Run that is yummy. There are some recipes on pinterest to make your own vegan butter, but I've never tried any of them and can't attest to how good they are.

Some bread is vegan, some isn't. Watch out for things like enzymes, L-Cysteine, and natural flavors.

Thank you! Didn't know what I was letting myself in for with this post lol!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone, I'll certainly check them out.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is finely ground peanuts with oil... Almond butter is finely ground almonds with oil... Vegan butter, hmmm, this thread title is scary....

ETA: I should try to post something helpful too. If margarine isn't an acceptable choice, and you just want something fatty and creamy to spread on bread, I'd suggest roasted elephant garlic and olive oil. The garlic becomes mellow, spreadable, and tasty... The olive oil gives it some satisfying fat... Add a little salt if you think it's needed, and enjoy.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Earth Balance :)
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How about a dip? Get some decent olive oil and basalmic vinegar and go Italian on your toast.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

That doesn't even sound right.................

Why not use the real thing. Using highly processed franken food is not healthy.

Why do most vegans think their lifestyle is so superior when it is filled with processed foods???

I can really on respect a vegan that relies on whole foods for nutrition and sustinance.

Wow. I'm sure tons of vegans are crying themselves to sleep at night because you don't "respect" them.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I always liked Earth Balance, and they have a soy free version if you're looking to watch soy. I don't think it's hydrogenated, as it will melt at room temperature.

Avocado is my favorite thing to put on toast. Mash it up with a little salt & pepper...yummo.

No one has mentioned hummus. My boyfriend loves putting that on toast.