does anyone get down about their dress size

Options
I'm a uk size 12/14 and i hate having to get size 14. i wish i was a size 8/10. My mum got me a size 14 top from tesco; she says their sizes are small. I dont know if its me or the sizes. I feel that size 14 is big even though im 5"7. I'm just so desperate to get down to a proper size 12 but its happening so slowly. I really hate shopping as I get upset if I have to get a size 14 or bigger.

Replies

• DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    They're just numbers. Seriously.

You could buy all US clothes and have smaller numbers at the same size clothes (we like our lower numbers on bigger bodies, it's true).

If seeing the numbers bothers you that much, do what Dita von Teese does and CUT THE LABELS OUT. You don't have to know what size it is. You just have to think, "Do I like wearing that blouse or not?"
  • kimberleywilliams23
    kimberleywilliams23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was the same I was a size 14 when i started losing weight. I thought it would be quick to get to a 12 because my weight loss was good.. but was stuck at 14 which was depressing but I got there in the end by sticking at it and you'll get there too :)
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Don't know about my dress size, but the need for size 40 pants was part of my motivation for current weight loss. I had previously been in size 40's (while really needing 42's) and once I got the 40's out of my wardrobe, I didn't want them back. My 38's are starting to get baggy, so I'll be needing 36's shortly.

Hang in there, and eventually you'll get where you want to go.
  • kimberleywilliams23
    kimberleywilliams23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How can u cut labels out when ur buying clothes?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes Tesco sell clothes, most UK supermarkets do.

All clothes sizes vary from place to place - you might be a 14 in one shop, a 16 in another, and a 12 somewhere else.

Seriously, being too focussed on a not-very-reliable-number isn't a great idea.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I was really discouraged when I bought my wedding dress. I finally fit into a US size 6 pants and my wedding dress is a size 12. I wanted to cry. Mind you I have a large chest, but still.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about it, but I spent a looot of time working on my self-image, surrounding myself with positive people, checking out fat fashion bloggers and generally showering myself in the kind of attention I thought I would only deserve at a smaller size, and it helped a LOT. I honestly cannot overstate how helpful it was to give myself permission to fall in love with clothes and to splurge on making myself cute for no reason other than I wanted to. Check out body positive fashion bloggers! It'll make you feel so good and so positive and so excited to go shopping : D
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've only been down about it lately because I've lost 20-25lbs but am still wearing the same jeans, which seems so strange! I've gone down a size in actual dresses from Old Navy [I was able to buy 14/L instead of 16/18/XL/XXL] but my size 16 jeans still fit. But, they fit looser and look better, so I can't complain - progress IS happening & that's what matters.

I also still can't fit into a lot of the XL/16 clothes at stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Kmart, Target etc. because their sizing is so off. Those sizes are like XL for kids/juniors, maybe, but in real life they're 'small' for women. So frustrating.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I pay ZERO attention to what number or size is in my clothes. I used to believe I was a medium, even when I was most certainly not a medium, just recently I started buying L or XL, just because I like the fit better. I have dresses that are a size 8 that fit great and some that are a 12 that fit great. Having worked in women's clothing retail for so long, I know that there's a great variance in sizes. Just buy what fits you, whether it's a 6 or a 10 and work it.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How can u cut labels out when ur buying clothes?

Indeed. You should wait on this step until you have actually purchased the clothes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    only with jeans- I struggle with jeans.

I, objectively and scientifically, realize that it is only a methodology for which companies use to help us the customer's more easily purchase clothing. BUT- it is not consistent- and it varies wildly from company to company AND media tells us models are the pinnacle of beauty and they all wear size 00 - it's a mind trip, and occasionally it bothers me.

And then I go to the gym and it's squat day and I realize I'm amazing and the 00 models aren't as cool as I am and will never have my epic *kitten* and I forget about the jeans.

I also stepped wearing jeans because they do not make me happy.

period.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    only with jeans- I struggle with jeans.

I, objectively and scientifically, realize that it is only a methodology for which companies use to help us the customer's more easily purchase clothing. BUT- it is not consistent- and it varies wildly from company to company AND media tells us models are the pinnacle of beauty and they all wear size 00 - it's a mind trip, and occasionally it bothers me.

And then I go to the gym and it's squat day and I realize I'm amazing and the 00 models aren't as cool as I am and will never have my epic *kitten* and I forget about the jeans.

I also stepped wearing jeans because they do not make me happy.

period.

Everything Jo says.

My stock outfits involve skirts and dresses now.

Your size is just a number. And just as a general announcement to anyone, buy clothes that fit, regardless of the size. If you buy a size 8 only because you want to be in single digits, but you should be in a 10, you're only doing your body a disservice. Represent it well and dress well. Nobody walks up and says, "Hey, what size are you wearing now?"
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I was really discouraged when I bought my wedding dress. I finally fit into a US size 6 pants and my wedding dress is a size 12. I wanted to cry. Mind you I have a large chest, but still.

That's just wedding dresses being wedding dresses. Mine was 2 sizes larger than my pants size, too.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

That's just wedding dresses being wedding dresses. Mine was 2 sizes larger than my pants size, too.

I did not have to buy my wedding dress too much bigger than my actual pants size, but bridesmaids dresses are another story. I do have a wider build and broad shoulders but I am 5 lbs overweight. If I could figure out the damn picture thing on this site, I'd update a picture where you can see I'm a relatively normal size.

Unfortunately, every bridesmaid dress I've purchased within the last 2 years I've still had to buy plus size - which isn't what gets me. It's having to spend extra money to have extra freaking material added to the stupid dress when I'm not that fat to begin with. I'm 5'10" and 180lbs so I know I'm not tiny but really? You are spending an extra $40 on material for me?!?! So glad my bridesmaids days are over!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm only down about it right now because I can't fit into my clothes, and I can't really afford to buy anything new at the moment.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm a uk size 12/14 and i hate having to get size 14. i wish i was a size 8/10. My mum got me a size 14 top from tesco; she says their sizes are small. I dont know if its me or the sizes. I feel that size 14 is big even though im 5"7. I'm just so desperate to get down to a proper size 12 but its happening so slowly. I really hate shopping as I get upset if I have to get a size 14 or bigger.

I'm from UK too and 5ft7 and my top half is 14-16 :(

I don't hate my dress size, I hate the way I look, all flabby arms big tummy and huge chest....so if I was a 14-16 but solid with no flab I'd love it!
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 12 but it doesn't matter id like to focus more on how I look
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everything Jo says.

My stock outfits involve skirts and dresses now.

Your size is just a number. And just as a general announcement to anyone, buy clothes that fit, regardless of the size. If you buy a size 8 only because you want to be in single digits, but you should be in a 10, you're only doing your body a disservice. Represent it well and dress well. Nobody walks up and says, "Hey, what size are you wearing now?"

TROOTH.

Wear what fits!!!

also- remember- (I'm such an enabler) dresses and skirts- they take up less room than jeans- so you can buy more of them.

ENABLE ENABLE ENABLE!!!!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are crazy. You can't even define objectively whether a dress fits you properly or not. The only moment in which I rely on clothing sizes is when I finally see something that I used to wear becoming noticeably too big. I can still wear most of my old clothes, especially shirts and blouses, since I like having both baggy and tight ones.