Getting rid of belly fat - Am I doing it right?

I 25, male, a smoker, and I am a rather odd shape. My lower legs and arms are well toned so all of my excess weight is on my 'moobs', bum, thighs... but mostly my belly. As in I look pregnant and 2 months overdue...

I was approximately 14st 3.5lb before I decided enough was enough and I needed to get fit. I've spent the last 2-3 years breathing in and I'm now doing it 95% of the time without even noticing!

Before I started my new diet and exercise, my routine was usually:

- No breakfast
- Several cups of coffee per day (probably around 5-8) with milk and 1-2 sugars
- A snack in the morning
- A lunch, usually consisting of a sandwich (with some sloppy mayo filling), a bag of crisps, a fizzy drink and a chocolate bar
- A snack in the afternoon
- An evening meal, regardless of whether or not it was a healthy option, and of which 2-3 per week were takeaway/fast-food meals
- Several snacks in the evening (usually a small feast before going to bed!)... bags of crisps, chocolate, snack sausages... basically whatever was quick and easy
- Only exercise was 2-3 bouts of 1 hour of football (soccer) each week

I have now changed to the following:

- Breakfast biscuits for breakfast, I've been told this kick starts my metabolism in the morning?
- 1 coffee with milk, but no sugar
- No snacks between breakfast and lunch
- Dolmio PastaVita for lunch (various flavours!)
- No snacks in the afternoon
- An evening meal, usually a healthy option where possible, but sometimes resorting to fast food/takeaway once a week
- A banana before hitting the gym for an hour between 8-9pm, usually burning 400-500 kcal per session - 3-4 times per week
- No snacks on an evening, but sometimes feel so hungry I have to have a snack but I limit this to 1 quick item (usually a piece of fruit)
- Still doing 2-3 bouts of 1 hour of football each week.

I started approximately 3 weeks ago and last night my scales reckoned I was 13st 7.5lb, although positioning the scales somewhere else on the floor can make it read 13st 11lb, so I'm not really sure of my exact weight any more!!

I have a few quick questions to see if I am doing things right - Ideally I'd like to be less under 12.5st come September but my priority is focused on getting my belly to reduce in size so that I can stop breathing in and not see the huge bump:

1. I cannot see as much weight loss as I would have expected given the dramatic reduction in calories and massive increase in exercise. I've read that weight loss will be all over my body, before attempting to even out by taking fat from where it is most - is this true? And if so, how long (given my new regime) will it be before I can expect to see results?

2. I've read that the breakfast biscuits (or any breakfast for that matter) helps to kick-start your metabolism in the morning. Is this true? And if so, what is the benefit of this and is there an ideal time to eat breakfast?

3. I currently go to the gym between 8 and 9pm (after my evening meal) and do the treadmill for 45 mins (300-400 calories), then the stepper for 15 mins (200-300 calories). Sometimes I do the rower for 10 mins (150 calories) to warm up and reduce the treadmill time accordingly. Is there an ideal time to do the gym session? And could my time be better used with the equipment (e.g. more stepper, less treadmill)?

Thank you very much for any assistance! :)

EDIT - I would just like to add that I will not spend time calorie counting. I'm now just more aware of how many calories I am consuming so I can consume responsibly. I am also going to quit smoking as soon as possible, but having failed on 4 previous attempts it will be difficult. It is most definitely making my gym sessions difficult!

Replies

• Bump - anyone? :-(
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    My advice

Figure out how many calories u need daily.
    Then eat -20% of that number.
    Get proper protein, fats and carbs to make up those calories.

Then start lifting weights, doing full body routines, comprising of compound lifts.
    Squats, Bench press, dead lifts, chin/pull ups, dips, shoulder press
  • MityMax96
    EDIT - I would just like to add that I will not spend time calorie counting. I'm now just more aware of how many calories I am consuming so I can consume responsibly. I am also going to quit smoking as soon as possible, but having failed on 4 previous attempts it will be difficult. It is most definitely making my gym sessions difficult!

uhm, then you will never achieve what you want.

If you want to lose weight.
    You need to know how many calories you are consuming.
    And how many calories you actually need.

So if you are not gonna put in the time and energy to log and track what you eat.....
    Then don't bother doing this.
  • EDIT - I would just like to add that I will not spend time calorie counting. I'm now just more aware of how many calories I am consuming so I can consume responsibly. I am also going to quit smoking as soon as possible, but having failed on 4 previous attempts it will be difficult. It is most definitely making my gym sessions difficult!

So if you are not gonna put in the time and energy to log and track what you eat.....

I only say I'm not calorie counting because I know I am eating at least 500 calories less per day than I used to, and I'm also burning off 500 with almost daily exercise. I'm not calorie counting to an exact science but I'm definitely aware of roughly how many I am eating so that it is consistently 500 or so less per day.
  • MityMax96

I only say I'm not calorie counting because I know I am eating at least 500 calories less per day than I used to, and I'm also burning off 500 with almost daily exercise. I'm not calorie counting to an exact science but I'm definitely aware of roughly how many I am eating so that it is consistently 500 or so less per day.

Ok then mate.

Good Luck.
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    EDIT - I would just like to add that I will not spend time calorie counting.

That's your choice, but if you don't record your calories and measure your foods accurately, you will never know for sure whether or not you're eating a calorie deficit or how much of one you are eating.

As for the rest of your question - I believe my body is a lot like yours. I do not like the shape at all - a lot of clothes fit pretty weird and my waist seems disproportionately large. I wish I could take inches off of there first, but I'm sure it will not work the way I want it.

I started doing a good bit more cardio and a weight program three weeks ago. I also started weighing/measuring all my food and calculating the expected calorie deficit and weight loss in a spreadsheet based on my total daily energy expenditure (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy). I didn't see the results I was hoping for during the first two weeks. In fact, I only lost about a pound in two weeks and I know I have a lot to lose. But during week three, guess what - lost 2 1/2 inches from waist and hips and 4 more scale pounds. Most of all, the scale weight loss fit exactly what I expected on the spreadsheet, so I know my estimated calorie deficit is pretty close.
  • My advice

Then start lifting weights, doing full body routines, comprising of compound lifts.

I've tried weights previously but I simply do not have the strength. :-(

Are the treadmill/rower/stepper no good?
  • MityMax96
    My advice

if you want to be a smaller version of what you are now, then do the stuff you listed.

If you want to be smaller, and have some muscle definition showing, then weight lifting is required.

We are all lacking in strength when we start out...but as time goes, you get stronger.

I started out the same way back in high school struggling to bench 95 lbs.
    Today I can do about 255 or so....
  • EDIT - I would just like to add that I will not spend time calorie counting.

That's your choice, but if you don't record your calories and measure your foods accurately, you will never know for sure whether or not you're eating a calorie deficit or how much of one you are eating.

As for the rest of your question - I believe my body is a lot like yours. I do not like the shape at all - a lot of clothes fit pretty weird and my waist seems disproportionately large. I wish I could take inches off of there first, but I'm sure it will not work the way I want it.

I started doing a good bit more cardio and a weight program three weeks ago. I also started weighing/measuring all my food and calculating the expected calorie deficit and weight loss in a spreadsheet based on my total daily energy expenditure (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy). I didn't see the results I was hoping for during the first two weeks. In fact, I only lost about a pound in two weeks and I know I have a lot to lose. But during week three, guess what - lost 2 1/2 inches from waist and hips and 4 more scale pounds. Most of all, the scale weight loss fit exactly what I expected on the spreadsheet, so I know my estimated calorie deficit is pretty close.

It's more because I know I'm eating less than I used to, and by a high margin. The app says I should be aiming for a net of approx. 1400 calories per day. Previously my net was likely 2500+ per day, and my initial calculations from my new 'regime' works out approx. 1300 net calories per day, if not less.

My cardio programme is as per my original post, but I simply do not have the strength (or free time) for weight training. I'm lucky to get the 1hr at the gym per night, with having a wife and two young children!

I'll definitely take a look at the spreadsheet though, thank you :-)
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member

If you lacked the strength then you were just trying to lift too much. You have to find the right starting place and then do a routine from there to gradually build muscle and strength. Real weight training folks on here can give you full, proper routines. I can tell you that even doing a couple exercises (bench press, pull downs, bicep curls, leg press, crunches) for like 20 minutes three times a week will give you increased strength and energy, even though it's not a complete routine.

Also, you might see even better results doing 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights instead of 1 hour of cardio. And make sure, even if you refuse to lift, that you get enough protein in your diet.
  • My advice

if you want to be a smaller version of what you are now, then do the stuff you listed.

If you want to be smaller, and have some muscle definition showing, then weight lifting is required.

We are all lacking in strength when we start out...but as time goes, you get stronger.

I'm definitely aiming just for a slim physique (like I used to have when I was younger) and getting rid of the beer belly, rather than bulking up.

Thank you for your advice though, much appreciated!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

500 less than what?

If you don't know how many you were eating before, you don't know that you're eating at a deficit now.
  • To everyone suggesting weights, I'll try half an hour on the treadmill and half an hour with some weights at my next session. I'll try and keep this up too!

Thank you all for your suggestions and help, from a very appreciative newbie!
  • MityMax96
    My advice

I'm definitely aiming just for a slim physique (like I used to have when I was younger) and getting rid of the beer belly, rather than bulking up.

Weight lifting would still help you in this goal....My opinion.

I mean I have been lifting for 20 yrs now....
    I don't look like Ronnie Coleman.

so a slim physique is still doable....with weight lifting.
    You may be even happier with the results.

But good luck
  • I only say I'm not calorie counting because I know I am eating at least 500 calories less per day than I used to, and I'm also burning off 500 with almost daily exercise. I'm not calorie counting to an exact science but I'm definitely aware of roughly how many I am eating so that it is consistently 500 or so less per day.

500 less than what?

If you don't know how many you were eating before, you don't know that you're eating at a deficit now.

Before: regular snacks, huge meals, fizzy drinks, a midnight feast of crisps and chocolate every night, rare exercise, hardly any water.

After: breakfast biscuits, pasta pot lunch, small portioned evening meal, no snacks (and if I feel like a snack it's a piece of fruit), no fizzy drinks, plenty of water, almost daily exercis of approx. 500 calories burned.

My deficit is definitely at least 500, if not nearer to 1000.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    1. Genetics determines how your body loses fat. There's no way to target fat loss in a specific area. Some people lose it all over, some people in their belly, some in their thighs, etc. A measuring tape to measure inches lost and some progress pics will be your best friends. Also, weight loss takes time. You didn't gain it all in a month, so you won't lose it all in a month, either.

MFP and various other sources will tell you that a deficit of 3500 calories over the course of a week will make you lose one pound. Since you're not counting calories, you won't know what your true deficit is because gym machine calorie counts are notoriously inaccurate. Perhaps look into getting a pedometer or a heart rate monitor to give you more accurate info on your burns.

2. If you don't feel like eating in the morning, don't. Personally, I can barely function without breakfast, but some people aren't hungry until lunchtime. Eat when you are hungry- as long as you're hitting your calorie and macro goals, meal timing won't have much effect on weight loss.

3. Cardio is fantastic for building endurance, burning calories and therefore creating a deeper deficit, and improving cardiovascular health. Some people prefer lower impact cardio (swimming, elliptical, arc trainer) because it's easier on their joints. If you're running with poor form or old shoes, you could start experiencing joint pain if you overdo it.

That being said, weight lifting will make you look good naked. Look into Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for great programs. Those weight sessions usually only take about 20-30 minutes 3 times per week, leaving you plenty of time for 30 minutes or so of high intensity cardio on those nights and your regular cardio routine on the other nights.

Good luck!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

This means nothing. Seriously. Absolutely nothing. Unless you know how many Calories you need to maintain your current weight and count what you eat moving forward - and ensure that you are below that number - then it's all just a crapshoot. If you were eating 1000 Calories over maintenance before, and luck out and now eat/burn off 1000 Calories less than that, you'll just maintain.
  • My advice

Weight lifting would still help you in this goal....My opinion.

I mean I have been lifting for 20 yrs now....
    I don't look like Ronnie Coleman.

so a slim physique is still doable....with weight lifting.
    You may be even happier with the results.

But good luck

Yeah, I misread one now your posts, I definitely don't want to be a smaller version of what I am now. I'll try 30 mins cardio and 30 mins weights at my next session.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    My advice

Words to live by this ^^^^. I also believed I was eatting healthy and less..but I was stuck at a certain weight/BF forever. Then i finally broke down, bought a food scale and started logging. Within a day my eyes were open wider. I had no idea how many calories were in condiments, let alone sodium. I was eatting a lot of stir fries...thinking the meat/vegs would do me good..which of course they do, but I was sabotaging it all with the amount of soy sauce I was using. Also, if you are really serious, and this is going to hurt...stop drinking all, and I mean all booze. Liquids in general are often filled with empty calories. So now I only drink water, coffee...i do drink protein shakes but of course I use water in them.

At the end of the day, you will end up with the body you deserve. Up to you to decide what you want and then put in the time/energy to make it happen. But trust me, at your age, the potential of lean muscle you could put on is simply mind boggling. Its much harder when you get to be an old fart like me. Good Luck! TC

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    You can't choose where the weight comes off, unfortunately. I lost weight from all over, but the only reason now my legs are more toned and wobble less, is from weights.

Also, like someone else suggested - more protein. I don't know what you eat in the evening, but everything else is largely carbs that you're consuming.

Those breakfast biscuits are usually full of sugar, too.