Replies

• Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    LOL **yawn**
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To the OP. I wish you luck in getting yourself healthy in any way you see fit. I'm not doing Paleo but I'm always looking for support & motivation on this awesome journey. Add me if you'd like.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yeah, I get what you mean.... I've seen that guy spamming other threads.... what annoys me about him is he's going round spamming this crappy diet and he won't even defend it when challenged.... he's either an expert troll or a salesman who's getting some kind of return for promoting the site while not actually believing in it (I suspect the latter)

My opinion re IIFYM is that it *is* an open minded diet and the ultimate in diet flexibility... because you can do IIFYM with whatever food you want to eat so long as the macros are balanced at the end of the day. I do IIFYM but I'd hardly describe my diet as SAD. I eat the foods I enjoy, I pay attention to my macros and micros, I do eat McDonalds sometimes, but not that often. Most of the foods I eat are British or Arab. It's unnecessary restriction that I object to... i.e. people peddling the belief that they have to omit (add any demonised food here) to be healthy, when that's just not true (the quantity matters, and it's very hard to fit large quantities of empty calorie foods into your diet and still meet your macro targets so IIFYM naturally limits portion sizes of those foods)....... but IIFYM doesn't mean people *have to* eat those foods, only that they *don't have to* deprive themselves of it (but portion control is still very necessary in order to hit your macro targets).

^^^ I'm really truly not trying to start an argument here, just an intelligent conversation!
    And the paleo/primal folks *choose* not to eat a certain way. They are eating *what they want*. Why does this warrant continued thread crapping day after day?

note: I'm not paleo/primal, but I don't eat a SAD, nor do I follow IIFYM, but I DO try to respect folks on a journey to improve their health.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You might want to join the Paleo/primal group here. The general forums will lead to whole lot of paleo-bashing and people telling you're stupid. Add me if you'd like.
    ^^THIS^^

The main boards are generally only welcoming to the S.A.D. and embrace the notion of "If it fits your macros".

Threads about alternatives to the S.A.D typically get derailed.

it's not paleo people being bashed in this thread right now
    And meanwhile, another paleo thread has been hijacked with arguing.

well the vegan guy who was saying that paleo is wrong and humans evolved to be the vegan is the one who hyjacked the thread, I was arguing with him.
    I guess I just don't see why EVERY thread that's about an eating style other than S.A.D./IIFYM gets hijacked. Not blaming you, just wishing folks here IN GENERAL could be a little more open minded about other people's health and fitness goals.
    HE spams that same crap on every thread.

Yeah, I get what you mean.... I've seen that guy spamming other threads.... what annoys me about him is he's going round spamming this crappy diet and he won't even defend it when challenged.... he's either an expert troll or a salesman who's getting some kind of return for promoting the site while not actually believing in it (I suspect the latter)

My opinion re IIFYM is that it *is* an open minded diet and the ultimate in diet flexibility... because you can do IIFYM with whatever food you want to eat so long as the macros are balanced at the end of the day. I do IIFYM but I'd hardly describe my diet as SAD. I eat the foods I enjoy, I pay attention to my macros and micros, I do eat McDonalds sometimes, but not that often. Most of the foods I eat are British or Arab. It's unnecessary restriction that I object to... i.e. people peddling the belief that they have to omit (add any demonised food here) to be healthy, when that's just not true (the quantity matters, and it's very hard to fit large quantities of empty calorie foods into your diet and still meet your macro targets so IIFYM naturally limits portion sizes of those foods)....... but IIFYM doesn't mean people *have to* eat those foods, only that they *don't have to* deprive themselves of it (but portion control is still very necessary in order to hit your macro targets).

^^^ I'm really truly not trying to start an argument here, just an intelligent conversation!
    And the paleo/primal folks *choose* not to eat a certain way. Why does this warrant continued thread crapping day after day?

note: I'm not paleo/primal, but I don't eat a SAD, nor do I follow IIFYM, but I DO try to respect folks on a journey to improve their health.

I think it's important for people to have accurate information to be able to make informed decisions. If someone's choosing not to eat something that they'd otherwise want to eat based on a misinformed idea, and they could get the same results while eating the food that they want to eat, I feel they have a right to know about it, or at least be presented with the information so they can make an informed choice for themselves... I think a lot of people feel the same way, and that's why there are a lot of arguments online, especially when it comes to unnecessarily restrictive diets. Providing people with information and alternative view points is a way of supporting people... For paleo people who genuinely don't want to eat any non-paleo foods, don't miss them, or those foods make them ill, let them eat paleo... I mean really it's their choice. People read various viewpoints then make up their own mind.

Paleo is contravertial for three reasons.... 1. vegans/vegetarians often don't like it because of the meat aspect of it.... 2. it is very restrictive and a lot of people who used to do restrictive diets then found less restriction to be more successful for them will come and say so.... 3. it's based on dodgy science (i.e. their ideas about what palaeolithic people ate are completely off base.... even if the premise that we should eat like our ancestors has some merit, what they're telling people their ancestors ate is incorrect).......... so people are going to come and argue those points. And with the intention of providing information that they feel will help some people.

I don't think most people here are inherently destructive and argumentative... more that they feel that what they have to say is helpful to other people, and so they want to put an alternative viewpoint across.

also IIFYM threads are often bombarded with posts from clean eaters accusing IIFYMers of telling people to eat nothing but junk food... I don't think there's any diet or eating style that never gets challenged or argued against on MFP. Again, their motive is the same as above, because they believe that their information is going to be helpful and improve people's health. I generally assume that motive of most people on here (with very few exceptions) even if I think their information is incorrect.

Additionally, debate and exchange of opinion is, IMO, very important for the learning process and furthering of peoples' knowledge. Just agreeing with people even when you think they're incorrect isn't helpful.
  • SteveyBrule
    SteveyBrule Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know this is entirely anecdotal, but I love how anyone who has studied anthropology/early hominids understands that Paleo is part of human genetics. How strictly you follow is up to you, but tell me again what's awful about cutting out processed carbohydrates?

I don't ever hear anyone *****ing about corn, the biggest legal cash crop in America, and how prevalently it's used as a filler in food that you buy because it's "easy".

It's so frustrating to hear people outrage against Paleo like it's the Atkins diet all over again.

There's a fool-proof secret to any successful diet: Be accountable and eat in moderation.

And I do so with a diet that consists of red meat, chicken, fish, fruit and vegetables.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I know this is entirely anecdotal, but I love how anyone who has studied anthropology/early hominids understands that Paleo is part of human genetics. How strictly you follow is up to you, but tell me again what's awful about cutting out processed carbohydrates?

I don't ever hear anyone *****ing about corn, the biggest legal cash crop in America, and how prevalently it's used as a filler in food that you buy because it's "easy".

It's so frustrating to hear people outrage against Paleo like it's the Atkins diet all over again.

There's a fool-proof secret to any successful diet: Be accountable and eat in moderation.

And I do so with a diet that consists of red meat, chicken, fish, fruit and vegetables.

Shweet!!!!!! my three favourite foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Shweet!!!!!! my three favourite foods.
    LOL.These are a few of my favorites as well!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I also love a diet of red meat, chicken, fish, fruit and vegetables, especially brussels sprouts (my favourite vegetable) and berries (my favourite fruit)

I just also like to eat bread, chocolate and the occasional burger. and even more rarely, pasta (rare because it's hard to fit in my macros with all the other delicious food I like to eat)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    @neandermagnon you just like to hear yourself talk.... no references and probably cut and pasted 1000 times... lol...

OMG. This is the most epic misread of neandermagon that I have heard yet.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Have you read the other posts? Cause I do believe there is someone here who is quite well versed in anthropology and I don't think that is what they are saying at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I also love a diet of red meat, chicken, fish, fruit and vegetables, especially brussels sprouts (my favourite vegetable) and berries (my favourite fruit)

I just also like to eat bread, chocolate and the occasional burger. and even more rarely, pasta (rare because it's hard to fit in my macros with all the other delicious food I like to eat)
    Great.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. I don't track my food though. I only eat foods on the yes list. Losing nicely, feeling fantastic
  • SteveyBrule
    Options

Have you read the other posts? Cause I do believe there is someone here who is quite well versed in anthropology and I don't think that is what they are saying at all.

Please explain? Am I mis-interpreting the fact that the person versed in anthropology was defending a paleo/primal diet?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. I don't track my food though. I only eat foods on the yes list. Losing nicely, feeling fantastic

What the heck is a "yes list"???
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Please explain? Am I mis-interpreting the fact that the person versed in anthropology was defending a paleo/primal diet?

She was arguing against the point that humans were not evolved to eat meat, not paleo. Later she made the point -

"Paleo is contravertial for three reasons.... 1. vegans/vegetarians often don't like it because of the meat aspect of it.... 2. it is very restrictive and a lot of people who used to do restrictive diets then found less restriction to be more successful for them will come and say so.... 3. it's based on dodgy science (i.e. their ideas about what palaeolithic people ate are completely off base.... even if the premise that we should eat like our ancestors has some merit, what they're telling people their ancestors ate is incorrect).......... so people are going to come and argue those points. And with the intention of providing information that they feel will help some people. "

To be fair - I am familiar with the poster so it was a little clearer to me from the get go what she was arguing for or against.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

She was arguing against the point that humans were not evolved to eat meat, not paleo. Later she made the point -

"Paleo is contravertial for three reasons.... 1. vegans/vegetarians often don't like it because of the meat aspect of it.... 2. it is very restrictive and a lot of people who used to do restrictive diets then found less restriction to be more successful for them will come and say so.... 3. it's based on dodgy science (i.e. their ideas about what palaeolithic people ate are completely off base.... even if the premise that we should eat like our ancestors has some merit, what they're telling people their ancestors ate is incorrect).......... so people are going to come and argue those points. And with the intention of providing information that they feel will help some people. "

To be fair - I am familiar with the poster so it was a little clearer to me from the get go what she was arguing for or against.

Yes. She is arguing FOR an educated perspective on human history, not about the pros and cons of any or all specific diets.
  • SteveyBrule
    Options

Yes. She is arguing FOR an educated perspective on human history, not about the pros and cons of any or all specific diets.

Understood, thank you very much for clarifying. I also should have organized my thoughts in a more logical, coherent manner.
  • raintail8
    raintail8 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi there. :) I am eating gluten free and don't really eat processed sugar, definitely not processed foods- just mostly whole foods. However, I do eat dairy, which I'm not sure that all people consider paleo or not. Friend me if you would like :).
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You might want to join the Paleo/primal group here. The general forums will lead to whole lot of paleo-bashing and people telling you're stupid. Add me if you'd like.
    ^^THIS^^

The main boards are generally only welcoming to the S.A.D. and embrace the notion of "If it fits your macros".

Threads about alternatives to the S.A.D typically get derailed.

it's not paleo people being bashed in this thread right now
    And meanwhile, another paleo thread has been hijacked with arguing.

well the vegan guy who was saying that paleo is wrong and humans evolved to be the vegan is the one who hyjacked the thread, I was arguing with him.
    I guess I just don't see why EVERY thread that's about an eating style other than S.A.D./IIFYM gets hijacked. Not blaming you, just wishing folks here IN GENERAL could be a little more open minded about other people's health and fitness goals.
    HE spams that same crap on every thread.

And the paleo/primal folks *choose* not to eat a certain way. Why does this warrant continued thread crapping day after day?

I think it's important for people to have accurate information to be able to make informed decisions. If someone's choosing not to eat something that they'd otherwise want to eat based on a misinformed idea, and they could get the same results while eating the food that they want to eat, I feel they have a right to know about it, or at least be presented with the information so they can make an informed choice for themselves... I think a lot of people feel the same way, and that's why there are a lot of arguments online, especially when it comes to unnecessarily restrictive diets. Providing people with information and alternative view points is a way of supporting people... For paleo people who genuinely don't want to eat any non-paleo foods, don't miss them, or those foods make them ill, let them eat paleo... I mean really it's their choice. People read various viewpoints then make up their own mind.

Paleo is contravertial for three reasons.... 1. vegans/vegetarians often don't like it because of the meat aspect of it.... 2. it is very restrictive and a lot of people who used to do restrictive diets then found less restriction to be more successful for them will come and say so.... 3. it's based on dodgy science (i.e. their ideas about what palaeolithic people ate are completely off base.... even if the premise that we should eat like our ancestors has some merit, what they're telling people their ancestors ate is incorrect).......... so people are going to come and argue those points. And with the intention of providing information that they feel will help some people.

I don't think most people here are inherently destructive and argumentative... more that they feel that what they have to say is helpful to other people, and so they want to put an alternative viewpoint across.

also IIFYM threads are often bombarded with posts from clean eaters accusing IIFYMers of telling people to eat nothing but junk food... I don't think there's any diet or eating style that never gets challenged or argued against on MFP. Again, their motive is the same as above, because they believe that their information is going to be helpful and improve people's health. I generally assume that motive of most people on here (with very few exceptions) even if I think their information is incorrect.

Additionally, debate and exchange of opinion is, IMO, very important for the learning process and furthering of peoples' knowledge. Just agreeing with people even when you think they're incorrect isn't helpful.

nice one. all pretty much correct...