Cramping problems

Options
So I used to be an athlete and I've been getting back into shape. I'm taking it slow by just taking a walk around my neighborhood and I will gradually work up in speed. However, ten minutes into the walk the outer sides of my calves start to cramp. It does that nowhere else and I keep going because usually on the walk back the pain goes away. However, that walk through the first half is excruciating! I work as a waitress and walk everywhere instead of driving and I never have cramps then. So how come when I'm walking to work out I start to cramp only on the sides of my legs? I thought it might be dehydration so I've been drinking plenty of water. I've also checked for health problems with a doctor and she said I'm healthy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if it's not water it could have to do with your potassium. Some of the main symptoms of low potassium are muscle weakness and cramps. It's main roll is helping your cells and muscles fire.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I was getting cramps in my feet at night and if I take magnesium I stop getting them from the very next night onwards. Works great but get a brand that is stronger than normal.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try to get some supplements for that and see how that goes.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am also taking a magnesium supplement. I think it helps with muscle soreness/cramps.
  • gregs_gal
    gregs_gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to experience this in pretty much the way you described. When it was happening, I researched why it occurred and the only thing I could really find was that I was using those muscles more and/or in a slightly different way than when walking normally (due to increased speed and varying inclines on the routes I walked), so they were getting exercised more/differently than normal (I'm sorry, this happened long enough ago that I do not recall where I found this information, so I can't cite it).

I found that as I worked out more, the cramping lessened and now I don't ever really get it. When it was happening I also tried to focus some stretching on those muscles and if it was really unbearable, I asked my husband to massage my legs.

*edited to fix typo
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    How about picking up a foam roller to massage your muscles before/after you work out?
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I bike 6 days a week, 11.5 miles per day at 15 mph. I too had a difficult time with cramping, especially in my legs. I am on LCHF diet and that is inherently a diuretic. It was suggested I take a medium dose magnesium supplement in the morning and make sure to get my 8 - 10 glasses of fresh water (not water with drink mixes, just plain water). Day one of trying this, leg cramps gone. Have not come back no matter the intensity of the work outs.