Does it matter what I eat?

Options
I was just wondering, does it matter what I eat, as long as I stay within my calorie allowance?
Since I've been doing lots of exercise I'm finding myself ending the day with hundreds of calories left to eat - and usually I don't use them all. Partly because I don't want the exercise to have been a "waste", and partly because I'm just not hungry!
Yesterday I found myself with over 800 calories left and since I was craving something sweet, I indulged in half a chocolate orange (around 450 cals) and even though I felt guilty for doing it, at the same time, I'm still under the amount of calories I'm supposed to consume in a day.
So - does it matter what I eat, as long as I stick to my calorie goals?
I'm pretty new to the whole weight loss thing so I may not be making any sense! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

(for anyone wondering, my calorie allowance is 1,550 a day & I do 30 mins cardio a day, 7 days a week - aiming to lose 2 pounds a week)

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    it depends. do you want to be skinny or healthy?

anyone can lose weight eating a ho ho a day. but if you are going for health, stick to clean eats and whole foods.
  • wendiwen123
    wendiwen123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying, but ideally you want to get the right calories and nutrition with your daily intake. It is okay to splurge every now and then so don't feel guilty, enjoy that chocolate orange!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Right, it comes down to being healthy. You can lose weight no matter what you eat. But, fueling your body and mind with needed nutrients should be important as well. I indulge in treats all the time. But, I try not to make it a daily occurance.
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    the occasional indulgence is ok. but I wouldn't start having half a chocolate orange every day. but I would suggest only a small amount, just enough to satisfy your craving.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    You cannot go through life eating bad foods even if you are staying within your allocated calories...

You wont gain energy from empty calories and your nutrition will suffer. You need to find a healthy balanced diet that keeps you full throughout the day which will stop you from reaching to that junk food.

It IS okay to indulge now and again, but finding a good balance is key!

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Lewzy
    Lewzy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies! I appreciate it! :)

So from reading all your comments, I've gathered it's best to stick to "good" foods, but now and again if I have a craving, as long as I stay within my calorie range, I'll still lose weight despite indulging in something sweet?
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss goes, it really doesn't matter at all what you eat, as long as your calorie intake is less than your output. BUT, you will find that those proccessed, sugary, salty, high calorie foods don't fill you up, give you energy, and keep you satisfied like whole grains, lean protiens, fruits, and vegetables do! You get more bang for your calorie buck with whole foods.

That said, there's nothing wrong with an occasional splurge! In my opinion, you need those splurges every now and then to keep you from feeling deprived and hopping off the wagon!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

So from reading all your comments, I've gathered it's best to stick to "good" foods, but now and again if I have a craving, as long as I stay within my calorie range, I'll still lose weight despite indulging in something sweet?

absolutely spot on! The better quality foods you eat...the less you will crave the junk! :flowerforyou:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    eating right is what you should do to be healthy. Having an occasional snack is for your sanity:) If you don't have enough calories, look at your intake and see if there are any vitamins or anything that you are missing. Find a snack that fits that. And make sure you get enough water, keeping hydrated is key. If you need a friend, I'm here for you.
  • Lewzy
    Options

absolutely spot on! The better quality foods you eat...the less you will crave the junk! :flowerforyou:

Ah okay! Thank you, that's a relief :)

I try to stick to cereal, pasta, fish, white meat and fruit generally (usually apples, bananas and pomegranate - I'm not a fruit person! But I'm trying to broaden my tastes..). I'm not a fan of veggies at ALL but I'm going to try my best to eat some over the next few months or so! If I want to be healthy, I'm going to have to change my ways!
  • Lewzy
    Options
    Again, thanks to all of you by the way. I totally appreciate all your replies. I've never felt so motivated to lose weight! I think I may actually reach my goal this time :) this forum is so motivating!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i dont know.... i think that eating 300 calories of chocolate will feed you differently than eating 300 calories worth of cabbage.
    sugar turns to fat. it's simple. People who eat clean can actually consume a fairly high calorie diet.