Did the Mental Game Again

Options
pk79
pk79 Posts: 8 Member
Committed to primal/ paleo for a week, then gained a pound, then switched back to the Weight Watchers account... then gained 2.5 pounds. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've done this exact thing.

Obviously I have a problem. What do you do to keep yourself committed?

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    First off, I'd recommend you set more realistic expectations. One week will not show you much of anything as water retention can mask so much. So, I'd commit to choosing a course of action and sticking with it for at least 6 weeks to see if there is a difference. Find a good calorie threshold for yourself, track/weigh food diligently and note your progress. Adjust from there. But jumping from program to program every week or two is just going to drive you insane.
  • pk79
    Options
    Thanks Lindsey. It's true on the realistic expectations. I've had unrealistic expectations for several months now. Just this desperate desire to get this weight off. But it's already driven me insane, so it's time for a new strategy.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would stop with the gimmicks and commit to a life style change. Figure out your TDEE or maintenance number and depending on how much you need to lose, create a reasonable deficient. Log accurately (weigh and log everything), if you use MFP's method eat only a percentage (50%) of your exercise calories or if you use TDEE you only log 1 calorie if you log it. If you do this (eating within calories whatever you want) and stick to it, wait at least 4-6 weeks before making adjustments...it WILL work and the weight will come off in a healthy way. This will prevent lean body mass loss to a degree, help with lose skin and give a much better chance of the weight staying gone.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Start by committing to something you can maintain long term. Obviously that isn't paleo. Whether it's MFP or ww, stick to it.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure everything you are eating for a week be really strict
    Change the fitness you are doing for the week - i.e if you have been running, do something different
    Drink more water
    7 weeks without a weight loss here...7 weeks but I will not give up :smile:
  • pk79
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I think I have such high expectations because I had dropped so much weight before and then put this back on and it got incredibly frustrating. So maybe I need to relax a bit. But I don't think i can do the NO grains that Paleo enthusiasts preach for the long term, and I hate how ww hates fat.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I think I have such high expectations because I had dropped so much weight before and then put this back on and it got incredibly frustrating. So maybe I need to relax a bit. But I don't think i can do the NO grains that Paleo enthusiasts preach for the long term, and I hate how ww hates fat.

As for the grains/paleo thing, I used to feel the same way. I just tried it to get my fiance to shut up. But, I found that I felt much, much better without them in my diet -- I was literally shocked. So, now, it's an easy choice since I feel so much better without them (likely the gluten was a trigger for Hashi's). The fiance didn't have such dramatic difference, but now he never gets heartburn and the bloating with grains, so he avoids them too.

If you notice a big difference in how you feel, it may be a much easier choice -- it was for me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Look, I get it. I used to do crazy things like that all the time too and finally realized the reason diets never worked for me is becuase I was always giving up the foods I loved and that NEVER works long term. This girl cannot survive on salads with fat free dressing - I need real food!

You can do this, just take the time to learn, forgive yourself the minor mistakes and be patient. One week on a plan isn't long enough to know if it works or not - you need more like 4-6 weeks.

Check out this thread - all the info you need:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Committed to primal/ paleo for a week, then gained a pound, then switched back to the Weight Watchers account... then gained 2.5 pounds. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've done this exact thing.

Obviously I have a problem. What do you do to keep yourself committed?

My stubborness and determination is what keeps me committed to staying healthy and on track!

I keep things simple with my eating habits and exercise.
  • pk79
    Options
    Wow guys. Thanks for the links. I have to say, MFP's community seems much more active than WW's. Which is based on a community. So that's kind of strange.
  • SHANELLEN
    SHANELLEN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Literally everything you're saying is ME. I am a diet switcher and I go back and forth all the time. The biggest thing is to try something for a minimum of two weeks and see how you feel. I did paleo for a month and I lost like 7 pounds but I was exhausted by the end of it. I couldn't help my craving for very healthy grains like oats or even Rye bread. Just listen to your body! And DONT think that because paleo or one particular diet is not working is because you aren't trying hard enough! Paleo might not be great for eveyone! Stick to something for two weeks and if you don't love it, or feel like it could be a long term thing then adjust! I would call myself a raw/vegan/occasional meat eater and even though I'm just getting back into it (often cheezie and cupcake eater crept it's way in) it's what makes me feel good! Anyways, just wanted to say I feel your pain!