35+ and found success?

Options
alexbelly
alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
So I am in my late 30s and I have been talking about getting healthy, but keep falling off the wagon. Its way harder now than it was 10 years ago and I get that. I admit, sometimes I lose hope that I'll ever be where I want to be. That maybe I just started this too late to ever look the way I want to. I don't care too much about the scale but I want to be a size 6 or 8 again. and I want to be able to lift my own body weight (like the Spartans do when they jump over walls). I joined MFP over a year ago and its been a roller coaster. I just had another birthday and I'm feeling a little discouraged knowing that Im right back where I started.

Has anyone out there started their healthy eating/working out regimen in their 30s and seen progress? I mean, I know there has to be someone out there, but it would really go a long way to see some before and after pics of people that were in my same boat and were able to see progress.

PLEASE show off your hard work!

Replies

• fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've seen quite a few people have success even when older. I'm down 16 pounds since March 10th. I'm 41 and while I don't call myself a success story yet, I'm on my way. ITs taking me longer than some, but I'm making steady progress and I'm perfectly fine with that. Not that I wouldn't be happier with faster progress, but meh, all progress is good.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    43 here. It can be done!

No after pictures yet, sorry. I have a wedding to go to at the end of June, and hope to be 50 pounds down from the last wedding I went to in October last year. Going to be a great before/after pictorial with all the professional photos. I am really looking forward to sharing with everyone on MFP. Friend me, and you can see when I post them. =)
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be done and there are tons here who are that age or older and done it! :)

I just turned 37 yesterday and had my 1 year MFP anniversary on May 7th, I am down almost 70lbs, my before/current picture is my profile picture. There is no easy way out, you have to be committed, you have to want it, you can do this! I had lost before and gained back 30-40 lbs each time I've done WW, but this time, I have stuck with MFP, logged for over a year now daily, weighed in every week (minus a few due to vacations) and ate my under/at my calories probably 80% of the time. I don't deny myself anything, but am eating better overall with some treats here and there.
  • livingtx
    livingtx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 (will be 35 in June). I started *again* in January of this year, but I wasn't too serious about it. In Feb., I started Taekwondo, but didn't watch my diet. I didn't start tracking again on MFP until mid April.

June 2013 About 256 pounds
    1958b6f4-7479-4c09-929d-afe802866531_zpsccc521a3.jpg

Jan. 2014 About 250 pounds
    1409b428-39ad-404c-97f3-2b193829b70d_zpsccc08979.jpg

May 3, 2014 About 231 pounds (down 25 pounds since last June)
    75b265c4-41a2-43de-aac9-bb16cfa5d257_zps2876d430.jpg

I'm currently at 228.4 pounds, but I haven't taken another pic yet. I still have a long ways to go. I have a B12 deficiency that I get a shot for every other week. It is hard losing weight no matter what age you are, but as you get older, I think it does get more challenging.
  • DebSM2
    DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 on July 28. After my third and final baby on October 26 I decided that I would get some weight off by the time I turn 40. My pre-pregnancy weight (and starting weight officially) this go around was 315. I topped out at 349 during pregnancy. I just hit the 100 lbs. lost point this week. I don't have photobucket but in my profile I have some during and current pics. The pics in the gray sweatshirt were taken at 278 lbs, about 37 lbs down. The pics in blue T-shirt are at 216.4, about 98 lbs down.

I have maybe 10 pounds to go to be merely overweight instead of obese. My goal is to be under 200 lbs by my birthday at the end of July.

The weight did come off quickly, but I have never eaten under 1580 calories a day and I have eaten back a large portion, or even all, of the calories I burn exercising. I started doing 30 minutes of walking a day about 3 months ago, now I jog 30 minutes a few times a week instead of walking...did a modified C25K.

Best of luck!!

ETA that I am 5'9" and have hypothyroidism.
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Like many have said it isnt easy but it sure as hell can be done! ;)

I'm going to be 41 on the 26th and I went from 335 to 210 today. I'm not done yet either and it's a constant struggle but I know I can do it and I will do it. It's all about motivation, find it and nothing will stop you !!

Good luck! And friend me if you like. :)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am 49 .. almost 50. And .. well to be honest the desire to be fit and healthy is the best thing I have ever done.

Last September I started my journey ... and I am partway there. My weight loss part is done .. as I am in maintenance now. But .. the fitness part will continue as long as I am physically able.

I went from 198 lbs to 156 lbs .. losing tons of body fat and gaining some muscle along the way.

So it can be done at our "over 35" age ... so time to do it.
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it has more to do with changes in life at this age. I had success in my 30's but it was when I was recently divorced and didn't have any one else to be responsible except for myself. I could workout whenever I wanted to. If I wanted to spend a day off going to the gym followed by a 10 mile hike, no problem. Now that I have a wife, kid, yeah, not so easy. That being said, I still spend plenty of time farting around that could be put to better use.
  • onelifemme
    onelifemme Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi I am 38 5'9 and currently 205 pounds - I am finding it really hard to budge the scales after two babies. I am hoping to lose 25 pounds to start and am going to track calories... Would love some support. My will power seems to have disappeared. My biggest weakness is wine and cheese!
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 38 5'9 and currently 205 pounds - I am finding it really hard to budge the scales after two babies. I am hoping to lose 25 pounds to start and am going to track calories... Would love some support. My will power seems to have disappeared. My biggest weakness is wine and cheese!

Best part of MFP is that you don't have to give up wine and cheese. You just have to plan for it and consume in moderation. Using MFP, you could easily lose that 25 by the end of they year. A 500 calorie deficit for a 1 pound a week loss isn't too hard to adhere to.

Tracking calories helps the willpower, it seems. It's much easier for me to not grab a hand full of peanuts or M&Ms when I know how that will affect my numbers. Or when you are going out to dinner that night, it gets you off the couch and out walking to earn yourself that glass of wine.

As someone said, it's never easy. But it's simple. And effective. Stick to your calorie goal, and you will succeed.
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi, and yes, it is very possible, and definitely likely to happen when you just decide to make it happen, decide what your real priorities are :)

I try not to get frustrated, but I work as a care giver, responsible for the health of people who, more often than not, had opportunities to get fit when they were young like us but by the time they were in their 60's they'd lost mobility, their vision, some developed infections that went septic, they got diseases... it goes on.

Yes people attain health problems through absolutely no fault of their own, but so many people would have much much better outcomes if they only got serious about their fitness in their thirties (or younger).

As to the other question, yes, the older you get, the harder it is. Not impossible, but more difficult. I yoyoed at age 35, then at 40 and now at 45 I am determined to keep the weight off. (I have to not let food be my comfort in sad times ever again) I found getting back into my routine a little harder each time. And this time, my previously broken ankle (from 10 years ago) keeps giving me twinges and I have to wear a brace when I work out. But all the benefits are still there in spades! The extra energy, the better working mind, the better sleep, the loss of cravings...the stronger firmer body, and my butt! It doesn't look like a Mack truck anymore! w00T!

So yes-don't wait! :D
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A 61 year old woman at my gym has a 6 pack and the body of a 20 year old it blows my mind. It may be harder but it's never to late.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    38 here, SW 230+ in January CW 199...big change in diet at home with my wife and ran my first hafl marathon this year. Crossfit 5-6 times a week currently.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It can absolutely be done. I started on January 21 (at age 49 and a half) and so far have lost 34 pounds. I will turn 50 on July 4th and cannot wait to see what I can achieve by then.

I also after 25 years, started to run again. After about 9 weeks I was able to complete my first 5K.

YOU JUST HAVE TO WANT IT!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I started at age 43, I'm 45 now and have been maintaining my loss within 5 lbs for the past year. Pics are in my profile if you're interested. You can do this!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    46 and in the best shape I've been in since my 20s. Lost 30 pounds and have discovered weight lifting. Absolutely you can do it. Don't use your age as a crutch. There are people on here that are much older than me and could kick my butt in the gym.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 diabetic and have high blood pressure and horrible cholesterol numbers
    I was diagnosed in December 2013 and that is when I started this
    so far I have
    lost 61lbs
    went from a size 24 to a size 14(which are baggy but not quite a into a size 12)
    changed my A1c from 9.7 to a 6.0 (which is considered prediabetic I will always eat like a diabetic)
    and lowered my blood pressure
    cholesterol normal now
    This was in Jan 5th I had lost 16lbs by this time
    2014-01-05194235.jpg

and this is a week ago
    10308160_10151809370577537_2234497226649945387_n.jpg

Im not done yet but I am a little more than half way there
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    that is awesome stef!! I was also told I am now considered prediabetic. I no longer take the meds for diabetes and I no longer take the blood pressure meds. It's a wonderful feeling! Feel proud girl!!
  • amrelmesery
    amrelmesery Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    it can be done , i am not saying its easy , but its not that hard , and the healthy weight is life style
    check some of my pics here
    its in 2010

22.jpg

7f76f94f-e32b-42ff-bbd2-e7f2ad4c17d1.jpg

i lost about 154 pound
    about 20 days ago this pic
    1609743_789379381086730_1843221973862111029_n.jpg

1613863_792883437402991_7889164336356580357_n.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!