"If you ate like this every day, you'd weigh"... a question

Options
Is it marking it from that day or is it taking into account your eating from the days previous? Where is it coming up with that number in 5 weeks?

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    the running guess is 1. its based SOLELY on todays food ,

and 5 weeks because most people quit any dieting efforts at 2-3 weeks :D just my guess
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yep, just for the day. I really wish that MFP would do one where it predicts your weight loss based on the last 7 days instead!
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep, just for the day. I really wish that MFP would do one where it predicts your weight loss based on the last 7 days instead!

well since it's recommended we look at our eating over the period of a week, rather than each day, that would definitely make more sense!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yep just based on that specific day. The number predicted will be run against your info including if you have it set for a 0.5,1,2lb loss per week. All just a pie in the sky estimate though as even if you did eat the exact same thing every day for 5wks weight fluctuates.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Don't even pay attention to that. According to it I should be about 125 pounds by now but I'm a solid 140.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    its today calorie intake.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Today's weight - ((((Your TDEE) - (Today's Calorie Intake)) * 35 days) / 3500) = X

"If you ate like this every day, you'd weight X in 5 weeks"
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Today's weight - ((((Your TDEE) - (Today's Calorie Intake)) * 35 days) / 3500) = X

Don't you get all math-y on me! It's not my strong suit! lolol.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Don't you get all math-y on me! It's not my strong suit! lolol.

:-P

Fine, I'll long form it in unwieldy words.

Basically all it is doing is taking the number of calories you would need to eat to maintain your weight (your TDEE) and subtracting the amount of calories you ate on that one day in order to get your caloric deficit on that day. It then takes your caloric deficit and multiplies it by 35 to simulate the 35 days in 5 weeks. This gives you your caloric deficit over a 5 week period if you ate the exact same every day during that 5 weeks. That number is then divided by 3,500 which is the amount of calories in one pound of fat to convert the estimated calorie deficit into pounds of fat lost. It then takes the weight it thinks you are (based on your last entry into its database) and subtracts that fat loss from your current weight to give that estimated weight in 5 weeks, X.

It then displays that weight saying "If every day was like today in 5 weeks you would weigh X"

Its just throwing out an estimate to show you if you ate like that everyday how much weight you'd lose over time.
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's only based on that exact day and it doesn't count what kind of food you ate. If you got your calories from fat burgers, or candies only, or wine only... I think it counts. If you get your calories from something unhealthy you hardly can get a healthy body.

So as MFP warns, this is just an estimate.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Normally I use it to see if i should walk a little longer before bed...^^
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    If I could do away with any feature of MFP it might be this one. You for one reason or another go way below your calorie limit for a day, maybe you were busy, maybe you were sick, perhaps just plain ole not hungry. You save your diary. MFP says you could lose a **** load of weight if you kept eating this way. Next thing you know you think it's a good idea to eat at a 50% caloric deficit from maintenance and you are in store for a VERY bumpy ride! I'd 100% completely ignore it. It's wildly inaccurate anyways.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    It's only based on that exact day and it doesn't count what kind of food you ate. If you got your calories from fat burgers, or candies only, or wine only... I think it counts. If you get your calories from something unhealthy you hardly can get a healthy body.

Eh pretty sure you can lose fat and get fit eating burgers and drinking wine. I certainly hope so.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Eh pretty sure you can lose fat and get fit eating burgers and drinking wine. I certainly hope so.

If not, my weight loss has been a lie!
  • vismal
    Options

Would you consider my body healthy because I eat all the things you've mentioned...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

You would lose weight but your triglycerides would he higher than a healthy eating lifestyle.
  • megan4peace
    megan4peace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like it as a fun little motivation tool. However, I take it with a grain of salt. Just for fun.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I like it as a fun little motivation tool. However, I take it with a grain of salt. Just for fun.
    Yes, and also exercise burns as per mfp database
  • TampaExPat
    TampaExPat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The reason for it is to give you a big picture view of your weight loss. It can be tough for people when they don't see much change day to day, so it's meant to encourage them to keep on the path so they see real results. It's not meant to actually be predictive, but motivational.
  • vismal
    Options

You would lose weight but your triglycerides would he higher than a healthy eating lifestyle.
    Actually there is no data whatsoever to prove that. Dietary intake of fat does not always correlate with high blood lipid panel values. Here's a video showing my far better then average blood lipid panel despite a moderately high fat intake that includes things like candy and burgers in moderation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmtcM-Meok