Bulky Abs

Options
Hi everybody! I was hoping to get some advice on a real irritating problem I have with my abs. They stick out. Now, for whatever reason I do not seem to gain fat very easily in my stomach but I do gain muscle. Let me reiterate, my midsection is not bulky from FAT. It's flat as a board and solid as a rock, my ab muscles are defined and visible. But, they stick out. Well past my ribcage and hip bones, it makes my midsection look bulky and I hate it.

I've never been real heavy on ab exercises by themselves, but I do a lot of pilates. I've recently learned that I was doing them with improper form, breathing in when I should have been breathing out, and it is possible that I trained my abs to stick out instead of in. If that is a real thing that can happen, I would like to know if I should avoid ab exercises completely until I loose the bulky abs that I have or just correct my form until they improve? I haven't been able to find any solid advice about this, so I am throwing this question out here. And if anyone has any other bits of advice about getting your abs to stick in, I am all ears and would really appreciate the insight.

Thanks so much, guys!

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I would need to see pics of your bulky abs.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    we can't change how are genetics are... unless its a posture issue ..you might have to embrace the bulky abs.
  • maskedshoo
    maskedshoo Posts: 10
    Options
    Nooooooo, don't say that!
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options
    post a side view picture of your midsection to see if its a posture issue .. My abs stick out in a relaxed state..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Going to need to see pictures. Preferably both front and side views.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Could be from a number of things. wide rib cage causes this. Heavily muscled abs will always stick out to some degree. intra abdominal pressure changes the way the abs look when unflexed.

Posture and losing bloat (empty stomach too) are the only easy fixes. Stomach vacuums and improving intra abdominal pressure may help over time. vacuums, ab wheel, leg raises, etc are believed to help as opposed to crunch type movements.

I'd just embrace the abs you have. Mine stick out a lot too. Just stand tall :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    pics please.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    Pic?
  • maskedshoo
    Options
    Never added a photo before, lets see if this works...
    Photoon5-17-14at1222AM_zpsd2d7d758.jpg
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, looks good to me! It's a muscular midsection, not a concave belly of a under-nourished person.

I think it looks good.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

it's your posture. that looks great.

once you are standing more straight, it will be more awesome.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You have a distorted view of what "bulky" abs are. Either you're purposely leaning your midsection forward, or you slump when you stand. You'd look much different if you stood up straight and pulled your shoulders back and kept your chest up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Are you fishing for compliments?! Your abs look great!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

it's your posture. that looks great.

once you are standing more straight, it will be more awesome.

This. As I suspected, you're not bulky in the abdominals.You look great and have a skewed perception of yourself. So let me reemphasize.

OP YOU LOOK GREAT, HEALTHY AND SEXY.

Please start to see that too.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Erm, trolling post? If not, leaning back like you are will cause your abs to flex and support your weight, like they are. Don't lean back maybe...
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This. As I suspected, you're not bulky in the abdominals.You look great and have a skewed perception of yourself. So let me reemphasize.

OP YOU LOOK GREAT, HEALTHY AND SEXY.

Please start to see that too.

I actually suspected no abs... but I agree. Keep doing what you're doing OP.
  • maskedshoo
    Options
    Okay, no I am not fishing for compliments. I didn't want to post a photo but no one would give me advice until I did. I want my abs to go in, not stick out. Does anyone have any advice on how to accomplish that?? Any ideas on the breathing thing I mentioned earlier? Is it really just from bad posture?
  • la_te_ra_lus
    Options
    404 bulky not found... fixing posture will solve your "issue"

start doing vacuums this will help tighten and strengthen to keep from looking "distended"
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Okay, no I am not fishing for compliments. I didn't want to post a photo but no one would give me advice until I did. I want my abs to go in, not stick out. Does anyone have any advice on how to accomplish that?? Any ideas on the breathing thing I mentioned earlier? Is it really just from bad posture?

Okay, allow them to atrophy. Stop doing exercises that work your core.

I wouldn't recommend this but it's what you'd need to do to lose the muscle.