Any gastric bypass patients on here

Options

Replies

• steezymom
    steezymom Posts: 9
    Options
    Personally, I would highly recommend it IF, you go through the riggerous training ahead of time.

I had to take classes, do monthly nurse phone calls, homework etc. The classes train you for what to expect, what to do, what to eat, how to eat, how to move etc. It is set up to relearn to eat and the purpose of food. I have a very close friend who had the surgery without all this prep work and gain prob 75% of the weight back because old habbits continued.

I believe 100% that if I had NOT done the prep classes in addition to regular dietition visits I wouldn't be as sucessful as I have been thus far.

I learned to treat food as fuel not treats. Now, a piece of fruit is a "treat". The old me would have killed a box of oreo's! I hope that helps!
  • DebLegare1
    DebLegare1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had Gastric bypass in 2010 and lost 165 my first 2 years when malabsorption is at it's best or what they call the honeymoon period. You will lose no matter what. However after that 2 year period if you don't change your habits you will gain because the intestine will allow calorie absorption to a degree and every person differs. I have gained 15 pounds in the last year but I know exactly why. Im eating slider foods high in carbs and fats and I know how much I can eat at a time to prevent dumping which I still do. I know my pouch is in tact because if I eat too many solids I back up and throw the last bite up.

According to my NUT now I should be a a 2 to 1 ratio of proteins to carbs (80 proteins- 40 carbs or less) to re lose my gained weight. At 4 years out I am still considered a great success so don't fret. You can reverse with hard work. Its a tool not a promise forever so once you lose you need to be vigilant.
    I am a journalist and did a lot of research and have done lots of articles on my surgery over the years. I speak at groups and try to help those I can. Things have happened that are bad for many like my sister who has had to have iron infusions at her 5 year mark but over all we both don't regret our decisions to do this. I had a metabolic disorder that I would've ended up in a wheel chair by 40 if I didnt lose weight. I was thin until this disorder and gained 150 in 2 years. MY body wasnt happy. This saved the quality of my life and so I make sure I take my vitamins every day and get my bloodwork etc...

Use the info given to you. It never stops. No drinking while eating. You will get hungrier faster if you do. Proteins first always!!
    stay away or only treat occasionally once many years out on processed carbs. I have spaghetti once in a while but carbs makes you want more carbs...all the old rules apply years later.

I have gone back to those rules and have been back to losing a pound every 2 days or so which is great. My 15 will be gone in no time...

Let me know if I can help
    Debbie in Maryland
  • liz89118
    liz89118 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had lapband surgery 5 years ago...I've lost and maintained a weight loss of 115 pounds. My goal is to lose another 20 pounds that won't have me at a size 5 but a size 12 hopefully I'm okay with that because maintaining the weight loss is another goal.
    I had a slight gain myself 3 years ago when I lost my father...those 20 pounds to get on were so easy but to get off took me about a year. Feel free to add me :)
  • ender_kb
    ender_kb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a RNY Gastric Bypass in June of 2009. 5 years this year! Woot! I've lost a little over 100lbs and only fluctuate within a 10lb range. No weight gain back. I think I'm doing really well with my diet, of course I cheat on things occasionally and don't exercise like I should (which is why I'm here), but all in all I feel great about myself. I'm happy to help anyone that wants it! CW: 171 Ultimate GW: 155
  • pamdsaul
    pamdsaul Posts: 17
    Options
    I had RNY Gastric bypass surgery December 5, 2013. I have lost 75 lbs since my surgery. I expected to lose weight much faster. I go for days without seeing any change in my weight. I don't eat over 1200 calories a day. My hair is falling out and my skin in loose. Any tips on what I can do to improve these problems? I know that I will have to have skin removal and I really dread that. The Dr. has talked to me about a tummy tuck. My tummy don't bother me as much as my arms and legs. It's not just my upper arms and thighs, it's the whole arms and legs that have saggy skin. But, I do feel much better. I am glad I had the surgery because I had been trying to lose weight since I had a hysterectomy and I couldn't lose anything no matter how hard I tried. Reading these post has helped me. I'm glad to find other people that have chose to travel the same road I am on. Feel free to add me as a friend. I still have a long way to go to reach my weight goal. So I need all the help I can get on this journey.
  • pamdsaul
    Options
    :smooched:
  • steezymom
    Options
    pamdsaul:

What are you doing for exercise? I took up Yoga 2-3 times a week and it has helped build some muslce to help "fill in" some of the skin. I know that some skin will sag regardless but, time will tell just how bad.

How much protein are you getting? Everyone I know who lost any major amount of hair was due from not getting needed protein. You prob haven't had your 6 month blood draw yet so you will likely find out soon if your getting enough. I try to get 75 min a day but, shoot for more like 90. I know it sounds like a crazy amount but, skiping filler type foods really makes it easy. I start every day with a protein shake, premier "snack size" chocolate. Has 100 calories, 18 grams of protein and like 2 grams of sugar. The other protein I use is Syntrax Nectar. That one is a fruit flavored one(well the ones I buy). It is like drinking juice. 23 grams per scoup 100 calories. I get all my absolute min 60 a day from food but, if I am feeling sluggish etc I like to occasionally have the extra protein with the Nectar.

I notice myself slow when I have too many carbs. I really try hard to keep those under 75. Doesn't always happen but, that is what I shoot for.
    75 pounds at 5 months out sounds like fantastic progress to me, congrats!
  • daniellenelson06
    Options
    When I was out under six months I ate much less that 1200 cal because that what a regular person eats. I am trying to lose the weight I gained after babies and meds that made me gain weight and honey I try to stick to 800 to 900 cal a day. Also working out is a great way to tone and lose more weight.
  • daniellenelson06
    Options
    Hello I had my RNY 4 year ago and I lost 140 and I have gained about 35 back and I am having a huge problem with that. I have had two babies in this time that the good point. I also have nerve damage and now cant workout the way I was in the beginning working with a therapy trying to make it better but I am really stressing about my weight. I have been stress eating some and also had a little issue with carbs but I have been doing better. I am trying to do 800 to 900 cal a day and see some results just not enough. PLEASE HELP !!!
  • steezymom
    Options
    Daniellenelso:

My suggestion would be to cut yourself a little slack :) You are already identifiying problems and how to fix them, a huge step I think! Maybe try the 5 day pouch reset? Might help you get a jump start and reintroduce yourself to everything? I am still really early on so I can't offer too much advise but I can def support you!

The other thing I do is use a fitbit. A fancy pedometer, that really helps me realize when I am being lazy. Also, how are you sleeping? That can really make a big difference. And articifical sweeteners, they make me crave carbs. More carbs I eat the more I crave so I just really try to avoid them all together(other than natually occuring).

Feel free to friend me!
  • steezymom
    Options
    I had RNY Gastric bypass surgery December 5, 2013. I have lost 75 lbs since my surgery. I expected to lose weight much faster. I go for days without seeing any change in my weight. I don't eat over 1200 calories a day. My hair is falling out and my skin in loose. Any tips on what I can do to improve these problems? I know that I will have to have skin removal and I really dread that. The Dr. has talked to me about a tummy tuck. My tummy don't bother me as much as my arms and legs. It's not just my upper arms and thighs, it's the whole arms and legs that have saggy skin. But, I do feel much better. I am glad I had the surgery because I had been trying to lose weight since I had a hysterectomy and I couldn't lose anything no matter how hard I tried. Reading these post has helped me. I'm glad to find other people that have chose to travel the same road I am on. Feel free to add me as a friend. I still have a long way to go to reach my weight goal. So I need all the help I can get on this journey.

I would suggest to not weigh yourself more than 1x a week. I only weigh in on Monday mornings in the same weight clothes etc. Just a thought!
  • lindahope549
    lindahope549 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 12/3/13
  • ziria2014
    ziria2014 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi everyone...i had gastric bypass almost a year ago on May 28th 2013....i was down to 190 lbs for the day of the surgery...almost a year later and im 154 lbs...i just feel like i did not do this right, like i have failed and im sooo frustrated...My goal weight is 130lbs i have just 25 more pounds to go but these are sooo difficult....ive lost only six pounds since January 2013...i try to take care of my self..eating healthy high protein low carb and i exercise 4 to times a week, however i have a sweet tooth and sometime ill indulge but not a lot just a little...Is this normal? i still want to lose 25 lbs more...please some advice...maybe im not eating right..Please i need help! this is driving me crazy...i was thinking of joining weight watchers...What do you thing...??? HELP!
  • ziria2014
    Options
    I reaing allthese post ans everyone is losing 75 pound in 6 months, 115 pound in a year...i went into surgert weighing 190 and i have only lost 40 pounds in almost a year...am i the only in the world that gastric did not work correctly??!!!
  • ziria2014
    Options
    That is awesome...i wish i was dealing with trying to gain back a few pounds...i am still working very hard at losing 22 more lbs to reach my goal weight...
  • candynerds
    candynerds Posts: 2
    Options
    Post OP gastric bypass gal here. 7 months after surgery, lost 59 pounds since surgery and a total of 79 pounds since starting the pre-six month process of getting on the bariatric band wagon a little over a year ago.

anyway, if anyone wants to friend me it'd be nice to compare notes with fellow gastric bypass folk.
  • meyou4042
    meyou4042 Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi - I am thinking about getting the gastric bypass and would love to know more about it! Can you tell me if everyone has to do the 6 month diet before surgery? (If I could do that I would not need surgery!)
  • pamdsaul
    Options
    The rules that you have to follow for gastric bypass depends on your insurance. I didn't have to do the 6 month diet because I had a documented history of diet and exercise for several years. I was able to get my bypass in 2 months after my first visit with the surgeon. I had my bypass December 5, 2013. As of today I have lost 87 lbs. I couldn't be happier about the weight loss. I must confess I do feel sick a lot after eating each meal. I know that this is my fault. I usually eat to fast or I sometimes eat things that don't agree with me. After the surgery your taste changes. I don't know why and the dr. couldn't explain it but food don't taste the same. Things I really liked to eat were horrible after the surgery. That was a good thing. I can't eat bread of any kind without it making me sick. I'm glad of that because bread was a weakness for me.

The surgery is just a tool to help with the weight loss. It is definitely not a cure for obesity. You have to be determined to change your eating habits and exercise for the rest of your life to lose the weight and keep it off. I have been told by people that had the surgery before me that after 2 years they could eat or drink anything and it didn't bother them anymore. They have gained weight and some of them lost it again. Their advice to me was to keep the good eating habits that you develop after surgery. I do know people that had the surgery and never lost very much weight at all and weigh more now than they did before the surgery.

I was hoping to be at my goal weight at this point but I'm not there yet. I still have maybe 25-30 lbs more that I want to lose. I know I am happy with the size I am now but I will continue on this journey and now I'll be happy with whatever weight that my body decides to stop at. Eating healthy and exercise is now my goal. Feeling better is worth everything that I have been through. It isn't about the numbers so much anymore. My granddaughter told me today that I was to skinny to be a grandmother that I need to gain weight. Grandma's are not supposed to be as little as I am. God love her. I am by no means little but it is a big change from where I was to where I am now.
  • steezymom
    Options
    Hi There!

I agree, it depends on your insurance company. I didn't have to do 6 months of diet exactly however, I did have a "process" to go through. My journey:

I literally woke up one day in April 2013 and realized I was going to be 35 that fall and after gaining back and then some of my last major loss(almost 5 years prior) I decided to start looking into surgery. I have fibromyalgia and was put on lyrica the winter of 12/13 resulting in additional 30+ pound gain. I hurt, I couldn't get around well, felt like a horrible circle...Call insurance and got the names of some "premier providers" in my area.

2 weeks later I was at the information seminar, 2 days after that met with Dietitian. After learning more around the actual surgery and the actual changes I would have to make(cut the sweets etc) I really felt like this was something I could benefit from.

My insurance required me to meet with dietitan several times(she set weight loss goals for between our visits), do phone classes every 2 weeks, a psychological exam/personality test. It was A LOT of hoop to jump through. BUT, and I capitalize for it was a BIG but, I NEEDED EVERY BIT OF IT!!!

The meeting with the dietitain, the huge work book and phone classes taught me sooooo much. I had always eaten fruits and veggies but was on carb over load and not being active enough etc. The classes retaugh me what food was, fuel. I had my 9 month post op call last week and I admited to my counselor I was mad about the classes prior to surgery but as time went on I realized they were KEY in me being successful. How much sugar should be in a serving, how to get my protein, what supplements to take you name it.

I KNOW I wouldn't be as succesful as I have been without all the "training". I am 7.5 pounds from goal weight 9 1/2 months after surgery!!! That is amazing!!!

I am off all my fibro meds managing with just the occasional tramodol, diet, and exercise. I sleep now, and don't need medication to do it. I wake up with energy and zest for life...because for the first time in a long time I AM LIVING!!!

Only people who are commited to changing the way they live should do this or it will all be for nothing! I removed most starches from my diet and added sugars...makes a world of difference!!!

I never lost my hair or muscle mass because I ALWAYS GET my protein. All blood work has been good except my vitamin A, that is a work in progess(a common issue per my dietitian). It was the scariest but, best choice I have ever made for myself. My future looks so good! No worries about not watching my 3 kids grow up and my choice to become healthy convinved my husband to quit smoking(something he swore he wouldn't do) after 17 years!!! Totally a win win.

Best of luck to you in your journey!
  • waltermoore01
    Options
    I had gastric bypass about 14 years ago. I have been looking for anyone than has had it takedown, and put back normal. I am having chest pains and I think it has something to do with my stomach. When I eat I can not breath. I also keep gas trapped. I really would like so advice. Please if you have had heart issue since your bypass please heat.