Eczema and Food Allergies?

Options
I have been battling with eczema for more than a dozen years now and it has gotten to where I can't tolerate it any more. My hands are so red, itchy, and inflamed that I can't wear any of my rings any more (including my wedding ring :sad: ) I have started seeing my general practitioner, an allergist, and a naturopath, but nothing has helped thus far. I have another week and a half before I get tested for celiac (I'm having digestive issues, too) and food intolerance/sensitivity. I am not using any of the steroid creams that are usually prescribed to me by GP's and dermatologists as I want to cure the PROBLEM, not the SYMPTOM. Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to trace it to food allergy/intolerance/sensitivity?!?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have severe psoriasis that clears up when I eliminate wheat from my diet. Your naturopath (or GP) should be able to suggest an elimination diet to determine if you have a food sensitivity. Common allergens are: wheat, dairy, soy, and eggs, so you could start there.

HTH.
  • raynen10
    raynen10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have had eczema since I was a baby. I steer away from fruits with citric acid(pineapples, oranges, tomatoes, etc.) I am also allergic to chocolate. I have found that when I cut those things out completely I am itch free and when eaten in moderation the side effects are tolerable. Sometimes certain detergents and perfumes trigger an outbreak.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes and my brother has it even worse. The only "cures" were
    1. Warm, not hot showers
    2. Eliminate ALL dairy, wheat and any other known sensitivity
    3. Avoid soaps with scents and colors/
    4. (For me) avoiding all nail polish, body sprays, etc
    5. Keeping myself well hydrated and body moisturized. Run a humidifier in the winter if you will in a cold, dry climate and use Eucerin or Amlactin (you don't need a prescription but you do need to ask over the counter) to moisturize your skin.

I went to a holistic nutrionist and found out some of my fav "healthy" foods were causing skin allergies, allergies and migraines, including tomatos, any night shade vegetables, rice, corn (and any corn products), peanuts and beef. Once I cut them out,I felt loads better.

You might have tried this, but these are very typical things they recommend.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should look into homeopathy. I use homeopathic remedies for myself and my family and they work really well. Check out abchomeopathy.com.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Hello-
    TN2010 I totally get your desperation. I have terrible eczema and am tired of all the steroidal topical creams, etc.

My doctor recently recommended that I try a nickel elimination diet to see if my eczema improves. I haven't started yet, but I'm already pretty bummed b/c a lot of my healthy favorites have nickel (broccoli, spinach, oatmeal, oatbran, nuts include peanut butter, chocolate, eggs, soy, chickpeas, hummus plus other legumes) plus now I have to figure out which cooking items have nickel. (I think stainless steel has nickel, but not cast iron, etc.) Word to the wise if you mention it to your doctor, my dermatologist already warned me that drs in the US don't find this to be a credible cause of eczema, but he said my skin is so bad that we should try it.

Beside all the other helpful tips from the other posters on this thread, there was a different thread where someone recommended coconut oil. If you are concerned about steroidal or cortisone creams as topical treatment, at least you know the coconut oil is natural. (I have no idea if it counts as a nut, so I'm not sure if I will try this myself yet, but just an idea.)

Also, I have no affiliation w/ the product, but I keep hearing about something called Egyptian Magic. It is made of all natural stuff, like olive oil, beeswax, royal jelly, etc. The problem is that it is super expensive, so I haven't tried that yet either.

Hang in there! I wish you the best of luck in finding out what is triggering your eczema!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Eucerin lotion and cream.
    Fish oil
    Stay away from perfumed lotions.
    Stop using anti-bacterial soap.
    Switch from harsh drying body soaps. Dial and Dove are better for the skin.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My naturopath gave me a list that included nightshades, malt, MSG and sodium nitrate. Malt is an interesting one since it's in most flours used for baking. I've cut down my nightshade use almost completely, but spicy foods (salsas, curries, tabasco, etc.) are definitely on my favorite list and hard to imagine giving up. I find I'm terrified to put a vegetable in my mouth right now, especially raw. Once I take the remaining blood tests I plan on doing the elimination diet from "The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook." Not looking forward to the diet itself, but I am looking forward to possible results. I've also had horrible stomach issues...some that prevent me from eating much more than rice cakes for days at a time. I think I just need to find some more patience within me as I wait to take my blood tests (I have to ingest 1-2 servings of gluten for 4 weeks in order for the test to be accurate).
  • tn2010
    Options
    Fish oil

I use Eucerin and Aquafor exclusively, no perfumed lotions, no anti-bacterial soaps. I'm trying to get my workplace to stock the glycerin-based hand sanitizers for me to use (I'm a teacher and I HAVE to wash my hands after my developmentally-delayed classes which I have 8 times a week). I only use Dove sensitive skin soap at home.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Fish oil

I use Eucerin and Aquafor exclusively, no perfumed lotions, no anti-bacterial soaps. I'm trying to get my workplace to stock the glycerin-based hand sanitizers for me to use (I'm a teacher and I HAVE to wash my hands after my developmentally-delayed classes which I have 8 times a week). I only use Dove sensitive skin soap at home.

Sometimes (even on a teacher's salary) you have to bring in your own type of hand sanitizer or supplies that you personally need.
    Have you tried adding fish oil to your diet?
  • tn2010
    Options
    I added fish oil about 2 weeks ago. I'm taking several supplements recommended by the naturopath. Gold Bond has a new hand sanitizer w/o alcohol that I bought this week and is wonderful (and $12/bottle!!!).