lack of sleep

Options
I need some empathy! My youngest (13 months) wakes up all the time right now (first she was sick and now I don't know what) so in the mornings I have two choices. Get up at 5 to work out but being so tired the workout is no fun and I have to eat to stay awake. Or skip the workout and be frustrated but not as tired.
Anyone surprised my fat loss is stalling?!

Please tell me stories how life gets into your way so I don't feel all alone.

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Life will always get in the way.

If it's your daughters fault now, it will something else next.

Point is, you have to just do it...Quit making excuses.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I work 4 on 4 off constant night shift 10-12hr shifts. I head to the gym straight from work & normally get a 60-90min workout done dusted then head home for approx. 4hrs sleep. Get up get my daughters dinner sorted, tidy up a bit, walk my dogs. Then head back into work to rinse & repeat.

Not being funny but if you want to do it you will do it. However you DON'T have to workout to lose weight its all about the calorie deficit. Hope your youngest gets a better sleep pattern soon.
  • AllMyUsernamesRTaken
    AllMyUsernamesRTaken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    As a mother of a set of twins and two other children, your only hope right now is eating clean. If you can afford it buy a step monitor you wear to track as you walk throughout the day you can program it to my fitness pal. That way you're killing two birds with one stone, and you won't feel so bad. Until then watch what you eat and drink plenty of water. The baby will be a toddler soon, and you'll be back in motion again. Good Luck!!!
  • AllMyUsernamesRTaken
    Options
    Life will always get in the way.

If it's your daughters fault now, it will something else next.

Point is, you have to just do it...Quit making excuses.

You were right in this case!!!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options
    As a mother of a set of twins and two other children, your only hope right now is eating clean. If you can afford it buy a step monitor you wear to track as you walk throughout the day you can program it to my fitness pal. That way you're killing two birds with one stone, and you won't feel so bad. Until then watch what you eat and drink plenty of water. The baby will be a toddler soon, and you'll be back in motion again. Good Luck!!!

I'm sorry but pushing the "clean eating" isn't all it's cracked up to be. The OP can eat whatever she wants so long as she remains within her deficit and will lose weight (true fact). Horses for courses and it's entirely personal choice what someone wants to eat.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost 30lbs. I am not new to this. I know perfectly what to do. I have been working around homeschooling and being with 5 young kids all day without help and I am 5 or 10lbs from my goal. I have been very successful so far because I never made excuses.

But it is so f$#@ frustrating to lie awake for three hours straight seeing the hours pass and knowing that tomorrow is lost already. No, I do not lose weight with only 4.5h of sleep. All you superheros might but I don't.
  • sengalissa
    Options
    I have (and use) a fitbit. Like it a lot. I know many people need a workout to walk a many steps as I do in my normal day.
    But I love my run, it is the only me time! I get really grumpy when I don't get my exercise.
  • sengalissa
    Options
    I work 4 on 4 off constant night shift 10-12hr shifts. I head to the gym straight from work & normally get a 60-90min workout done dusted then head home for approx. 4hrs sleep. Get up get my daughters dinner sorted, tidy up a bit, walk my dogs. Then head back into work to rinse & repeat.

Not being funny but if you want to do it you will do it. However you DON'T have to workout to lose weight its all about the calorie deficit. Hope your youngest gets a better sleep pattern soon.
    4h of sleep is not enough for me. Good it works for you. I do not want to spend my days sleep deprived.
    I don't need advice, I am close to goal and I know what I am doing. I needed empathy, that's all.
  • AllMyUsernamesRTaken
    Options
    I am not new to this. I know perfectly what to do. I have been working around homeschooling and being with 5 young kids all day without help and I am 5 or 10lbs from my goal. I have been very successful so far because I never made excuses.

But it is so f$#@ frustrating to lie awake for three hours straight seeing the hours pass and knowing that tomorrow is lost already. No, I do not lose weight with only 4.5h of sleep. All you superheros might but I don't.

Girl Bye! I was only trying to help you. Ugh. Your attitude is all wrong. I'll make sure not to post to any of your questions. You didn't want empathy you wanted to talk crazy.
  • AllMyUsernamesRTaken
    Options
    I don't need advice, I am close to goal and I know what I am doing. I needed empathy, that's all.

Why would you post your situation??? Girl Bye!! SMH LOL
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough sleep sucks and does interfere with weight loss. Life gets in the way for all of us from time to time…it just can't be continuously and constantly KWIM? The best piece of advice I ever got about this journey (after I was moaning about some particularly difficult issues) was "This is YOUR life, you need to figure out a way to deal with it" I'm sorry your struggling right now. The best piece of advice I could give you is this: MFP is a GREAT tool, but the message boards are not the place to ask for empathy. I have been here since 2011 and rarely post; I've seen a HUGE change in the boards since I started; lots of "bullyish" behavior under the guise of tough love. Use MFP for the great tool it is, but please find support in a healthier environment.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options

4h of sleep is not enough for me. Good it works for you. I do not want to spend my days sleep deprived.

Nope, what you want is a pity party from the sounds of it.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

I get little sleep every night.

I'm not sure what you what from us.

OMG GIRL....YOU THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS LITTLE SLEEP
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep is a huge factor for me too. You do have my sympathy, for me I also find I feel so tired I just crave food and caffeine- anything to give me energy. I am very grumpy too.

Someone else advised me to, without sounding too hippie, look after yourself and really think"what's best for me right now". Saying that, just to contradict myself, I can sometimes tell myself a huge cake is best for me right now! I think it sounds like you have the eating thing sussed though, with workouts, that's a tricky one, maybe every other day? can you catch up on sleep at any other times ? sorry if that's patronising, I do feel your pain. Lack of sleep has been one of the hardest things I have had to cope with since having a child.

I have been told, and have found losing weight is 80% diet...

Good luck, and know you are not alone and sound like you are handling it much better than me!
  • sengalissa
    Options
    Not getting enough sleep sucks and does interfere with weight loss. Life gets in the way for all of us from time to time…it just can't be continuously and constantly KWIM? The best piece of advice I ever got about this journey (after I was moaning about some particularly difficult issues) was "This is YOUR life, you need to figure out a way to deal with it" I'm sorry your struggling right now. The best piece of advice I could give you is this: MFP is a GREAT tool, but the message boards are not the place to ask for empathy. I have been here since 2011 and rarely post; I've seen a HUGE change in the boards since I started; lots of "bullyish" behavior under the guise of tough love. Use MFP for the great tool it is, but please find support in a healthier environment.
    You might be right. Fortunately I do not care about the jerks at all.
    On most boards I know, people confuse two things: there are posts that seek information (aka advice). And there are posts in which people try to connect. I wanted to connect, just like at least 50% of the other posts. Patronizing and connecting don't go together so most "try sleeping" or "suck it up" replies are just useless because they answer a question that was not there.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know sleep deprivation. I know what it does to you. I know how debilitating it is. You have my empathy and my sympathy. I have one saying in life 'this too shall pass'...this isn't forever...don't beat yourself up too much. Hang on a little longer and you'll find your groove :flowerforyou:
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options
    You might be right. Fortunately I do not care about the jerks at all.
    On most boards I know, people confuse two things: there are posts that seek information (aka advice). And there are posts in which people try to connect. I wanted to connect, just like at least 50% of the other posts. Patronizing and connecting don't go together so most "try sleeping" or "suck it up" replies are just useless because they answer a question that was not there.

Still nope. People responded to your post with empathy and the fact that they could relate to being overtired. We offered constructive motivation towards you. Yet your responses were frankly very rude in reply.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old (almost 3) who still wakes up at least once every night. I can definitely understand life getting in the way, and being tired!! I *try* to get up and exercise in the morning, before my husband leaves for work, but some days it's just too much. Just hang in there, and keep at as many healthy choices as you can fit into each day... I hear kids start sleeping eventually. :wink: