Does it matter what I eat in my calorie budget?

Options
I just joined... haven't been logging in yet... I've been using this other diet logging/track app on my phone. However, I am going to start logging in with MFP...

ANYHOW,

I've lost 10 pounds... and this is going on my 3rd month of cutting calories. I now weigh 153-154 pounds... sometimes 155 pounds...

Anyhow, my current weight which is 153-154 has been at a stand still for the last two weeks.

I haven't been eating healthy like I was when I first started... but I haven't had any junk food or sodas or any processed food either.

I've had waffles, sausage, eggs (I love eggs so I eat them probably twice a day and all forms), baked chicken breast, corn, small bob evan links, and franks red hot sausage.

Those aren't the healthiest foods but they all fit my calorie budget.... is that ok?

Is that probably why my weight is at a stand still?

Replies

• paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it's in your calorie budget. Seriously. I only learned that since joining here in Feb. Only thing with me, is I try to eat a lot of veggies for no other reason except that you can eat a lot for little calories and I like to be full.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 pounds since feb, I still have about 90 to go. But I eat anything I want as long as it fits. I cut out sodas and switched so flavored waters, sobe waters, tea with little sugar, and this tea mix I got at walmart that's only 5 calories per 8oz serving. Oh and zero calorie poweraids (besides the good old water) I try and walk 20 minutes a day (when weather permittes I have a 2yr old I can only go out when its nice. Other times I try and do something inside. Try and get some veggies in there. And fruits too. It helps with less calories but a fuller feeling. Good luck!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Andy morgan had a nice way of describing it as 'levels'.

First off, for weight loss the most important level is calorie deficit.

THEN macronutiient composition - making sure you get enough protein so your body doesn't try and use muscle to provide energy.

THEN micronutrients to generally keep your body working well.

Too many people worry about that third level when they haven't got the first two, which are consistently shown to be much more important, ight.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

THEN macronutiient composition - making sure you get enough protein so your body doesn't try and use muscle to provide energy.

Too many people worry about that third level when they haven't got the first two, which are consistently shown to be much more important, ight.

+1. 1 addition - getting adequate fat is nearly as important as adequate protein. Figure out the right minimums for each of those (in grams), hit those in whatever way makes the most sense for you, then do whatever you want with the rest of your calories.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

+1. 1 addition - getting adequate fat is nearly as important as adequate protein. Figure out the right minimums for each of those (in grams), hit those in whatever way makes the most sense for you, then do whatever you want with the rest of your calories.

Absolutely... far too many people underestimate just how crucial dietary fat is to overall health, saitiety, hormonal function... and it tastes great!

Ultimately you want to think of it in terms of what makes the most impact;
    1 - Calories consumed/expended (TDEE)
    2 - Proper macronutrient ratios
    3 - Proper micronutrient ratios
    4 - meal timing
  • pasmith08
    pasmith08 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. My name is Ann. I've been using this app for a couple months now. I've lost 31lbs since January. I eat between 1,100-1,200 calories a day or less. I try not to go below 1000 though. I have cut out sodas, sugar, junk food. I eat pretty much what I want. I am in a bariatric surgical program. I 60mg of protein a day along with dairy, plenty of fresh fruit and raw and steamed vegetables and lean meats. I heat whole wheat bread and pasta too. I try to only eat read meat no more that 2 times a week. For instance, tonight, I had a sandwich with Oscar Myer ham and turkey,( they are 50 calories a serving, so I had 3 slices each), with 2 slices of bacon, lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, Nature's Own wheat bread,(40 per 2 slices), with 1/2 tbs. mayo, mustard. Pulse I had a 6" cucumber and 6 baby carrots. Total calories, only 249 for everything!! An I'm full!!! Earlier to day I was on the road, and of course, my husband has to go through a fast food place. I had 1/2 have of a 1/4lb hamburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, lite on the mayo, ketchup and mustard. total calories for the whole burger is around 500cals. I only had half so I has only 250 calories. So eat what you want just keep it with in your calorie limit. Make sure you are eating with in an hour after you get out of bed in the morning and then eat every 3hrs through out the day. Get in the habit. That's what I've done. Now I've got to start exercising more! I try to do something for at least 30 minutes a day. Just as long as I've moving!! Good luck every one. Its a struggle but I've learned it can be done.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    . Make sure you are eating with in an hour after you get out of bed in the morning and then eat every 3hrs through out the day. Get in the habit. That's what I've done.
    If it works for you; that's great!
    As it is, that's absolutely not needed and would make it a lot harder for many of us - I'm certainly hungrier doing that.
    The "kickstart your metabolism" stuff has been proven to be incorrect - if your sources are advising this for weight loss, I suggest you find people that know what they're talking about :).
    Many of us limit the time we eat food - for me for eight hours between 1 and 9. Sometimes I have big meals, sometimes I snack a lot.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you consume fewer calories, you'll lose weight.

If those calories come from cake and pizza, and there are no fruit or veggies included, that's not very healthy. But what did you do before? Shovel everything and anything down your mouth, going way over your calorie allowance? That was worse.

This journey is all about making the right steps at your own pace. Cut down your calories first and look at changing those calories into better ones later if you don't feel you can do it all at the same time. Not everyone can change their lifestyle overnight and that's fine. Just keep going in the right direction.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just joined... haven't been logging in yet... I've been using this other diet logging/track app on my phone. However, I am going to start logging in with MFP...

ANYHOW,

I've lost 10 pounds... and this is going on my 3rd month of cutting calories. I now weigh 153-154 pounds... sometimes 155 pounds...

Anyhow, my current weight which is 153-154 has been at a stand still for the last two weeks.

I haven't been eating healthy like I was when I first started... but I haven't had any junk food or sodas or any processed food either.

I've had waffles, sausage, eggs (I love eggs so I eat them probably twice a day and all forms), baked chicken breast, corn, small bob evan links, and franks red hot sausage.

Those aren't the healthiest foods but they all fit my calorie budget.... is that ok?

A calorie of one food is not the same as a calorie of another. It is less about the quantity of the calories and more about the quality of the calories. This will help you understand why.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

ANYHOW,

A calorie of one food is not the same as a calorie of another. It is less about the quantity of the calories and more about the quality of the calories. This will help you understand why.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

Wrong again Joanne

OP log your food, make sure you are weighing and logging accurately. If you aren't losing you aren't in a calorie deficit, to lose it doesn't matter what you eat, it's all about the quantity.

I've lost a little weight eating what I want in moderation. You can check my diary.

Please read these links they will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=accurate+logging+step

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    MFP has me down to have 1200 cals (some class that as a bit low but I'm 5'1" and only have 14lbs left to lose) but I'm not losing weight despite eating healthier, excercising and being in deficit. Would you advise that maybe eat my full daily allowance and any exercise that I do be my cal deficit?

Also, if I haven't eaten my full allowance by the end of the day and I'm not hungry, should I still have something to eat? Thanks
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    MFP has me down to have 1200 cals (some class that as a bit low but I'm 5'1" and only have 14lbs left to lose) but I'm not losing weight despite eating healthier, excercising and being in deficit. Would you advise that maybe eat my full daily allowance and any exercise that I do be my cal deficit?

Also, if I haven't eaten my full allowance by the end of the day and I'm not hungry, should I still have something to eat? Thanks

Would help if you open your diary
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I suppose technically you CAN continue to eat "junk" food and stay in your calorie limit and lose weight...but that's not going to help you learn new patterns of eating, which is really the goal.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day. That doesn't give me a lot of room for "junk". COULD I eat junk and stay under my calorie limit? I suppose...but I'd be really hungry, never "satisfied" and on a path to poor health. I can get plenty of really good satisfying food in my calorie limit if I choose wisely and make sure most of what I'm eating is "the good stuff".
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I suppose technically you CAN continue to eat "junk" food and stay in your calorie limit and lose weight...but that's not going to help you learn new patterns of eating, which is really the goal.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day. That doesn't give me a lot of room for "junk". COULD I eat junk and stay under my calorie limit? I suppose...but I'd be really hungry, never "satisfied" and on a path to poor health. I can get plenty of really good satisfying food in my calorie limit if I choose wisely and make sure most of what I'm eating is "the good stuff".

Well most people do not need to be at 1200 calories a day, and this is much more sustainable if you eat at a reasonable deficit, and not demonize any food, or label it as "junk".

The other thing we all have different goals, my goals are to lose weight in the most non miserable way while hitting my macros and eating ice cream nightly. By learning portion control and moderation
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yeah open diary = good

MFP bottoms out at 1200 calories. For example, I plugged in numbers that I'm a 120 lb gal (I can dream) and would like to lose .5 lb a week. My goal was 1300 calories. Then I changed it to 1 lb and it would only go down to 1200 calories, rather than, say, 1050. Since you have such little weight to lose , I suggest you set your goal to 1/2 lb per week if you haven't already, and make sure you are weighing everything and logging conscientiously, and eating back a reasonable portion of exercise calories
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Food diary is now open.

I've back been on MFP for quite a few weeks now (but had computer probs, so unfortunately it only shows last 10 days), but for the majority of that time I was in deficit. I started T25 on 5th May and at first I tried to do the inital 5 day kick start eating plan, but it wasn't always practical, so started to follow some of the menu suggestions in the Insanity menu guide, some of the snack suggestions I would find more applicable to lunch though, so I just used to have summer fruits with Greek yoghurt or a low fat yoghurt when was at work - it prevented the funny looks, comments and questions!

One of the problems I've had with both of the plans is eating so much between meals, usually I just have general 3 meals a day and the odd snack, usually a yoghurt when I'm a bit peckish. I don't even have crisps (apart from the ones for my son), puddings, sweets, chocolate or biscuits in the house. It's not that I'm trying to eat healthier, it's always been that way - even when I was 3st heavier several years ago.

Oh and just want to let you know that I have a very large garden which is why I spent 5hrs in it today and got a large deficit. :o)
  • thesaraaah
    thesaraaah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a soda and candy bar yesterday morning for breakfast and a burger and fries for dinner. All under my daily goal and down a lb this morning :D as long as you are within your daily caloric range you should be fine. Unless you are eating things high in sodium which can cause you to keep on water weight, which can be alleviated by drinking more water.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple, yes it does matter what you eat. If your calorie goal is 1200 per day you dont want to waste it on oreos and ice cream. The better the quality of food you eat the better you will feel. Hitting your fats and protein is very important. Try and feed yourself the best you can.
  • pkbpkb
    pkbpkb Posts: 2
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are. Bottom line is calories in < calories burned for weight loss.

If weight loss is your main goal, then it doesn't really matter how you get there. If you have bodybuilder or high athletic aspirations, pizza and ice cream is not the way to get results.

Some people talk about moderation, but for others, just one bite/portion/piece turns into a binge so they eliminate their trigger foods. Some people will eat fried chicken every night and lose weight because their calories in < calories used. Some people will slam you for eating "clean" because they don't see some food as 'Junk" and vica versa. It is really a personal thing. Regardless of your stance, people will tell you that you are wrong on these boards.

For me, I do label processed food/white flour/sugar (unless it is from fruit) as "junk" because my personal definition of food. I like to cook from scratch and dislike the taste of most processed foods. However, I do LOVE Cheetos so I just don't eat them. My life is still complete without an entire bag (which is what happens if I have just one). But my goals are not simply to lose weight so I pay attention to my macro and micro nutrients. I get hungry if I eat only what I label "junk" food and it causes me to over consume calories.

Try different things and see what works for you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat 'junk' every day. My diary is open if you want to look. I just weigh everything so I know I'm not underestimating how much I eat.