Quinoa: Worth the high calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i eat it all the time BECAUSE it's so low calorie and good for you. I make like a cup of it and eat it one part at a time. it's really great late at night when I need to get some protein in after roller derby practice.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just pulled this up:

8 Health Benefits of Quinoa:

1. High quality protein with the nine essential amino acids, the protein balance is similar to milk. At 16.2 to 20 percent protein, it has is more protein than rice (7.5 percent), millet (9.9 percent) or wheat (14 percent).

2. Great source of riboflavin. Riboflavin has been shown to help reduce the frequency of attacks in migraine sufferers by improving the energy metabolism within the brain and muscle cells.

3. Inca warriors had more stamina and quicker recovery time by eating these quinoa seeds, making it a truly ancient powerfood.

4. Antiseptic. The saponins from quinoa are used to promote healing of skin injuries in South America.

5. Not fattening! Only 172 calories per 1/4 cup dry (24 of the calories from protein and only 12 from sugars, the rest are complex carbohydrates, fiber and healthy fats).

6. Gluten-free. Since it is not not related to wheat, or even a grain, it is gluten-free.

7. Alkaline-forming. Although it is not strongly alkaline-forming, it is comparable to wild rice, amaranth, and sprouted grains.

8. Smart Carb: It is a complex carbohydrate with a low glycemic index, so it won’t spike your blood sugar.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-health-benefits-of-quinoa.html#ixzz2H8g1NgOC
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well there it is....I just didn't know the ratio. OK. so it's basically 1:4. Yeah I know the only way it's gonna go up in calories is if i add stuff. I wasn't kidding. I thought that value was ridiculous if that was really the case. Thx
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes! And I don't think it is all that high considering it is comparable to rice etc. You're a vegetarian too so I definitely think you should continue eating it.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Cool. Thanks all!!! Just basically needed to figure out the ratio of uncooked to cooked ahahaha. And it got a bit confusing. But now its all good and I'll continue to enjoy it!
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is one of my favorite foods. It's delicious, filling, high in protein, and all around healthy. It's a great choice. Keep eating it!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Red quinoa cooked in chicken broth with wilted kale and some pine nuts. Totally worth it.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :)
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed, not a grain, and seeds are really good for you.

I love it for breakfast, in salads for lunch and for dinner instead of rice or potatoes. Yummy!
  • puccapak
    puccapak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my question is how much calorie is in 1/4 cup of COOKED quinoa! So confusing.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Quinoa increases 4 times in size when cooked. That means if you have one cup cooked you had 1/4 cup dried. And if you had 1/4 cup cooked you would have...1/4 of 1/4 cup dried. So, if 1/4 cup dried is 160 calories you would just divide that 160 by 4. So, 40 calories for 1/4 cup cooked. (1/16 cup dried)
  • nicolechabs
    Options
    I think I've confused myself more by reading this. My box says serving size is 1/4c for 172 calories. But it says there are about 8 servings per container. There is no way it is 1/4c dry, it has to be 1/4c cooked is 172 calories. If 1/4c swells to 1 cup that would mean cooked I would have 8 cups of quinoa....which I definitely do not. I'm pretty sure it's 1/4c cooked is 172 calories.

But if you just look up cooked quinoa it is 222 calories for 1 cup cooked.

[EDIT] When I scan this box of quinoa into the myfitnesspal app, it says the serving size is 1/4c cooked, and that it's 172 calories. How does that differ so much from what the nutrional data site mentions for 1 cup cooked quinoa. That would be 688 calories for 1 cup cooked compared to 222 calories they are saying is 1 cup cooked.......
    I AM SO CONFUSED>
  • DaniGirlOtt
    Options
    Thanks for this info! I got sucked in by the dry/cooked thing and couldn't believe how high in calories it was. Yay, more quinoa and less calories for me from dinner tonight. No wonder I'm hungry!
  • 2pink2push
    2pink2push Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What is this random measurement you have? I,m British and don't understand what a 'cup' equates to. Can somebody please explain it. Cheers me dears :-D
  • josstuff
    josstuff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love quiona just as much as I love rice. I don't really think its that calorie intensive, just limit your portions.