All I want to do is stop!

Options
I've recently started running. About ten seconds in, maybe even five, I'm ready to stop. But I keep going, chugging along at 4.8 miles an hour. I'll start thinking, "So I'm almost at a quarter of a mile which means I am only almost 7/8 of the way through this. I really want to stop!" The entire time I'm running that's all I think about is how much I want to stop or worse, what fraction or percentage I've either ran or have left to run and how I should really just stop. I hardly even get out of breath, it's not my body, it's my mind. Is this normal? I can't possibly be enjoying myself and yet I signed up for a 5k so now I have to want to stop running for an extra 1.1 miles! That's a really long time! What sadistic part of myself enjoys doing this to me? Will it ever get better?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good question.

Another question: Why are you doing something you loathe?
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I like to think about chicken fried steak with gravy, biscuits, hash browns, coffee, and ketchup when I run. It takes my mind of how terrible running is really.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try and find another form of exercise that you enjoy, or at least one you do not hate.
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    Treadmill sometimes (that's how I figure my pace) but mostly I'm outside now that it's warmed up. I'm running for cardio, for charity, for endurance, and to lower the deductible on my health insurance.
    I like to think about chicken fried steak with gravy, biscuits, hash browns, coffee, and ketchup when I run. It takes my mind of how terrible running is really.

Someone who understands!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I hate running, so I don't.

I get extremely bored when doing any cardio that is the same motion...running, elliptical ect. I find myself irritated at every little thing when doing these exercises. So I stick with lifting and circuit training for cardio...also walking the dogs, hiking and playing with the kids. Why are you doing something you hate, I just don't have that kind of willpower. If I really dislike something, I will never stick with it even if it made all my goals magically be accomplished. My advise find something you enjoy, punishing yourself will not make accomplishing your goals a more heroic feat. Unless you are a masochist, then whatever works for you :wink:
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try and find another form of exercise that you enjoy, or at least one you do not hate.

I disagree to an extent: if you're doing it, then clearly there is SOMETHING you're getting out of it. Even if we do things we loathe, they serve us a purpose that we much be content with or even enjoy in one way or another, because we continue to do them. Even if we loathe the actual act of something, it serves us a purpose that we deem worthwhile, because we continue to do it.

I've been running for a while, and I've come across runners who don't particularly enjoy the running its self, but ADORE the runner's high after a prolonged run, and enjoy the feelings of accomplishment. So if you're one of those individuals, I encourage you to continue running but to also develop your form more, and to turn it into a meditative practice of sorts. I used to be one of those runners, until I stopped focusing on my running and used it as a means of clearing my head while working out, which therefore turned it into an active meditation for me.

If you are ONLY truly running for the reasons you listed: charities and whatnot....then find another form. There are plenty of other forms of cardio that help your body just as much (possibly even more so, depending on what you're looking to work/improve through running) that you may actually enjoy more so.

Long story short: sit down, look at exactly why you run (pros/cons lists may come in handy here if you can't make up your mind), and go from there. Your health should be something dynamic and interactive - not something you dread taking care of.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I hate running, so I don't.

I get extremely bored when doing any cardio that is the same motion...running, elliptical ect. I find myself irritated at every little thing when doing these exercises. So I stick with lifting and circuit training for cardio...also walking the dogs, hiking and playing with the kids. Why are you doing something you hate, I just don't have that kind of willpower. If I really dislike something, I will never stick with it even if it made all my goals magically be accomplished. My advise find something you enjoy, punishing yourself will not make accomplishing your goals a more heroic feat. Unless you are a masochist, then whatever works for you :wink:

Have you tried Zumba or another similar dance class? Dance was actually my first form of cardio (i grew up dancing for 15 years) and i adore it simply because of how it keeps you engaged. You can't zone out for a few minutes and 'come back' as you constantly have to keep on top of the moves you're learning and performing.

I'm with you there though: hiking is SO much fun! I used to go on late night hikes with my friend nearly daily. I've never had a more enjoyable AND beautiful workout!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Running is mental - you've already figured out that it's your head you have to persuade, not your body!

Do you listen to music or podcasts while you run? Or run with a friend? Or a dog?

One thing I've found running is great for is writing - if I have something to write, be that a letter, or a blog, or an ad for something, I'll go for a run while I let the words play around in my head. I write poetry this way too.

Can you set yourself photography challenges - run to this place, take a photograph, etc.
  • Newbeginnings46
    Newbeginnings46 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've recently started running. About ten seconds in, maybe even five, I'm ready to stop. But I keep going, chugging along at 4.8 miles an hour. I'll start thinking, "So I'm almost at a quarter of a mile which means I am only almost 7/8 of the way through this. I really want to stop!" The entire time I'm running that's all I think about is how much I want to stop or worse, what fraction or percentage I've either ran or have left to run and how I should really just stop. I hardly even get out of breath, it's not my body, it's my mind. Is this normal? I can't possibly be enjoying myself and yet I signed up for a 5k so now I have to want to stop running for an extra 1.1 miles! That's a really long time! What sadistic part of myself enjoys doing this to me? Will it ever get better?
  • hitmeister
    hitmeister Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I listen to music through headphones. Then, even if I hate the exercise, I can still enjoy the music.
  • Newbeginnings46
    Newbeginnings46 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted. All I can think about when running is when is it going to finish. I think that this has prevented me from progressing further. However, I love the feeling after running. This is what keeps me running. I'm going to try and work on my mental attitude to running but if it doesn't work then that's okay with me. I always run with other people and love the social aspect of my running. I enjoy other activities too such as lifting, insanity and metafit.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Good question.

Another question: Why are you doing something you loathe?

Even better question!

I find running boring as hell. I used to run at school, cross country and 1500m races, before some idiot says, "Why don't you try it?" I only did it because teachers told me to do it.

Nowadays I only do sports I enjoy. For instance, I can't stop thinking about playing tennis and talking about tennis. Was chatting so enthusiastically to a friend's son about tennis drills that he's now doing them daily. :D When I play tennis, even after 2 hours, I want to keep going, dragging my feet around the court. :o)

And then there's dodgeball which is just a laugh yet burns shedloads of calories. I mean... throwing a ball... at people... and they don't complain!?

I'm sure some people are similar about running or whatever. Point is, find something you really, really enjoy doing rather than something you think you should do!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    For me, I am that way until I hit about 1/4 mile (used to be closer to 1/2 mile)... Once I hit that "breaking point" I am usually good for the distance. Keep at it and also look into alternative cardio exercises... Mix it up a little. Change scenery and try not to think about it.
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I use the "Zombies run" app when I run now. It is a whole story that entertains me while I run. It makes running much more pleasant for me. Although I do curse at the zombies when they are chasing me and I have to run faster! :happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think any exercise when you start there are points where you hate it. If people stopped things when they hated them no one would ever follow anything through. The OP by there post is new at this there may come a point when they actually enjoy it which is why giving it a chance is what I would advise. You could always try an ipod or something to distract you. I have a million things fly through my head while running from shopping lists to dodgy songs everyone is different though once you have been running for a while you find what works for you just keep plugging away. If long term though you don't find it's for you that's fine but unlike some of the other posters in this thread I believe in giving things a chance
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lots of people aim to run in the persuit of health because it's a popular avenue. If you don't enjoy it, you likely won't stick to it. Maybe you can take some suggestions and see if they work for you, or, maybe you will find a new cardio routine that you feel good doing. I definitely busy my mind by listening to music and always cover the time/distance dispels with a piece of paper that has a particularly motivating sentence on it. And even still, after years of running on and off, I have never truly found a love for it. I just occasionally challenge myself to do so on occasion. Good luck!
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I find the first 1-2 miles the hardest when I'm running. It's hard to get in the 'zone' and can be overwhelming when you think about how much further and longer you still have to go but usually after this point I find it gets a little easier with every mile. I did the couch 2 5k app when I started out and that really helped as it breaks the distance up in to manageable sections that gradually get longer, have you tried this? I listen to music, made a playlist on my phone which I'm constantly updating with new favourite songs, removing songs I'm bored off and then play it on shuffle so I never know what will come on...I find that helps. You could try podcasts or audiobooks too?
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try HIIT instead of pure cardio? I definitely like it better, and it isn't boring for me.
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    There are honestly not many forms of exercise I would actually consider fun. Zumba is fun and I go to a class about once a week when my schedule allows but as much as I enjoy it I do not get the same bang for my buck no matter how much I throw myself into it. I consider at home strength videos (like Jillian) more fun than lifting weights at the gym and again, while I do both the less fun one is more effective for me. I keep the fun things for off days and consider them more of an activity I guess.

I will have to invest in an arm band for my phone. Maybe zombies or music would help distract me. I appriciate the advice and it's good to know that I'm not the only one who just wants to stop. And stopping IS infact the most enjoyable thing about running.