Kid Friendly Exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No. Exercise for ME, that is kid-friendly, so I can either exercise WITH them, or with them around. I'm not looking for workouts FOR my preschoolers.

Why not? What's wrong a little boot camp for preschoolers? Gotta get those munchkins yoked!

indeed.

can you do a push up?
    YES!!!

great- how many can you do?

any age over 5 it's an instant hit.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks

jumping rope

pushups

burpees

air squats

mountain climbers

planks

wall pushups

edit: bear crawls

This!

I actually do my workout tapes (Jillian Michael's) with them. (I give them resistance bands of their own to play with) and they think it is hysterical to watch me work out and try to do the same.

High knees, side kicks, planks! They love it and ask ME if we can all exercise.

Granted, they also like to climb on me every once in a while or get underfoot, but it's better than not exercising at all.

I also race them at the playground. (my 3 year old is a whiz on her scooter, my 6 year old running with me or on his bike).

I will also do step ups on the park benches while they are on the playground and or any type of jumping/plyometrics type exercises. It feels like "playing" to them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Playground and tag. Trust when I say physical activity with them helps with "putting them down" much easier for naps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some kid-friendly exercise ideas. I have two little ones (2 and 5 years old), which can make it difficult to eke out time for exercising without them. Gym-going is out, since we can't afford a membership. I do have a bicycle and trailer, but the two of them together exceed the weight limit, and my 5 year old isn't quite ready to ride alone. Does anyone have some kid-friendly exercise ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Aside from running around and playing with the kiddies - you can also find TONS of free workouts on Youtube. Jessica Smith TV is my fave channel!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Active video games - Wii fit, Just Dance, etc. Or just turn on some music and dance. I've never met a child that didn't like to dance.

Depending on whether the little one is too heavy for a backpack carrier, hiking might be an option.

This!^
    If you're worried about lyrics, etc......they have a kid's / Disney version

..............And kids workout DVDs.......perhaps your library has a couple of these

Tae Bo Kicks is for kids (Billy Blanks)

Leslie Sansone Kid's Walk & Family Walk

Denise Austin Fit Kids

Kari Anderson Shake

Yoga Kids.....this is a whole series
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ooops ...........workouts for you............

Look at video clips for prospective DVDs here: www.totalfitnessdvds.com
    This should give you an idea about the "tone" of the DVD.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    No. Exercise for ME, that is kid-friendly, so I can either exercise WITH them, or with them around. I'm not looking for workouts FOR my preschoolers.

Why not? What's wrong a little boot camp for preschoolers? Gotta get those munchkins yoked!

Heavy lifting.

1z71uvt.jpg
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do mine first thing in the morning before he (he's 5) gets up. It's the easiest way to do it for me when we have him (I'm a stepmom, but I'm responsible for him when his dad is working). I lift heavy in the morning. This morning he was up early, about 5:30, and poked his head in to see what I was up to, but otherwise he went and played by himself(he got into some bubble wrap that I left for him. Haha). If I want to go for a run in the afternoon, I wait until his dad comes home and wants to play with him, and then I go for my run. The little guy knows that exercise is "me" time and he totally respects that once I'm done, I'm all his.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do mine first thing in the morning before he (he's 5) gets up. It's the easiest way to do it for me when we have him (I'm a stepmom, but I'm responsible for him when his dad is working). I lift heavy in the morning. This morning he was up early, about 5:30, and poked his head in to see what I was up to, but otherwise he went and played by himself(he got into some bubble wrap that I left for him. Haha). If I want to go for a run in the afternoon, I wait until his dad comes home and wants to play with him, and then I go for my run. The little guy knows that exercise is "me" time and he totally respects that once I'm done, I'm all his.

My little guy gets up at 5:30 routinely. My husband doesn't leave for work until 7am, though, so that would leave some time for a jog or bike ride sans kiddos, before he goes. But it's so eeeeeeaaaarly! /whine. Hahaha, I think I just need to suck it up and DO it! It's strength workouts I'm struggling to come up with, because cardio is just a matter of getting up early and going.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Heavy lifting.

1z71uvt.jpg

:drinker:
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My youngest loves to do my exercise DVDs with me, but sometimes find I spend more time avoiding hitting her with my weights than I do exercising. When I can get near the tv I'll sometimes put Just Dance on the Wii and both kids do it with me (they're 7 and almost 5). On rare days like today when it's sunny I take them outside for a walk or even just to the park, its amazing how many calories you will burn running round after them or pushing them on roundabouts and stuff!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    A jogging stroller for the 2 year old and a razor scooter for the 5 year old. Then run.

Great idea! My 5 year old already has a razor scooter, and she's pretty amazing on it, so I'd be willing to bet she'd be able to keep up (or even lap mommy).

Mine started when she was 5 and was able to do 10-15km on her scooter pretty consistently. We've both gotten quite slack over the last 6 months (dad's 100% to blame) so we need to get back at but she's now 8 and completed (running) a couple of 5km races.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had a backpack type carrier when my son was two (I think it was rated to 40 pounds) and popped him in there for hiking. Talk about lifting heavy, he weighed 38 pounds at the time! Both my boys also love Just Dance for Wii.

My 9 year old has to hold himself back when we run together, as he is much faster than I. He started riding bikes with us as soon as he could manage a 2 wheeler, we have a bike attachment for my younger son. Playgrounds are great places to work out while the kids play, I use the wooden borders as an aerobic step, the monkey bars to attempt pull ups, pushing the swings, etc.