why am I not losing weight??

Options
I have been eating less than 1200 calories per day, my carbs have been less than 30 grams daily, and I have been walking 6 miles on hilly trails daily burning 1000 calories and not eating those calories back. So why am I not losing any weight at all???

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    sounds crazy, I know, but you are not eating enough.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So you're netting less than 200 cals a day? :huh: :noway:

You are not doing yourself any favors at all, in fact you're setting yourself up for major problems - you need to eat!

Goal means goal - something you're trying to achieve, not fall well short of. And that 1200 a day goal already has you at a deficit before you exercise - meaning you could eat 1200 every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. You're eating less than 1200, burning off 1000 through exercise (plus all your normal daily activities, walking, breathing, etc) - this leaves you with a CAVERNOUS deficit and not nearly enough fuel or nutrition. The cals are added back into your goal because you're supposed to eat them back - especially with a goal of 1200, which is considered the bare minimum intake for women.

Educate yourself on proper fuel and nutrition. You are likely going to crash and burn if you try to keep up this level of activity with barely and food. With so little fuel, the last thing your body wants to do is lose weight. How long have you been at this?
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You have to eat more! Your body will go into starvation mode if you're not eating enough, and hold onto any and all reserves it can. Not to mention, you could make yourself sick or injure yourself operating with such a huge deficit. Your body needs fuel, and 1200 is a bare-minimum, exercise not included baseline for you to meet and still be losing weight.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Stop abusing your body this way! She doesn't deserve it!
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Your diary is all over the place

May 9 >>> Cheat Day (ate cheetos, nachos, Pepsi, and cupcake that I'm not accounting for.)

Yet you show you were under your calorie goal by over 600 calories

Log your foods honestly and accurately or you will not be able to figure out what the issues really are.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Up your calories. Please. You shouldn't be eating under 1200. That's foolish and can be dangerous. I'm doing low carb too, but I eat WAY more than that.
  • hurricanekaty
    Options
    Uhm I don't understand what y'all are saying because yesterday I ate 1229 calories and burned 1045 by walking. So I AM eating . lol
  • hurricanekaty
    Options
    I ate 1229 calories yesterday but burned 1045 by working out. I'm not starving myself?
  • hurricanekaty
    Options
    Obviously since it was my cheat day I wasn't going to log all that. That is exactly why I made a food note to say it was my cheat day. If I was going to lie about what I post, why would I make a note that on my cheat day I ate much more than what I posted......
  • Bdemps11
    Bdemps11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Read the links posted above. You are eating at WAY too much of a deficit and will harm your body. Your body needs a certain number of calories just to survive and you aren't providing it. Look into BMR, TDEE, etc in the links above. If you are only eating 1200, you NEED to eat back your exercise calories. And be honest with your logging. Measure/ weigh your foods, wear a heart rate monitor when you work out. Be as accurate as possible.

Edit- be honest with your logging even on "cheat" days. Excuses won't help you.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I ate 1229 calories yesterday but burned 1045 by working out. I'm not starving myself?

Please read the links posted above and listen to the advice you're getting.

1200 is considered a minimum number of calories for a woman because when you regularly eat below that, it becomes difficult to get the fuel and nutrition your body needs. MFP also intends for you to eat back your exercise calories, so if you're trying to burn 1000 calories every day and are not eating any of those calories back, you're not fueling your body properly.

If you want long-term, sustainable results, you have to do this in a sustainable way. Crash-dieting won't get you where you want to be.
  • hurricanekaty
    Options
    Thank you! This is definitely the most helpful and mature rely I have gotten. I did not realize that I need to eat back the calories I burn. I'm not lying about anything I post, I just thought that my cheat day could be one day break from logging.
  • Minamalenka1
    Minamalenka1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You have not provided sufficient data to determine if you are eating too much or too little. What is your size? If a 6'6" lumberjack ate 1200 cal a day it would not be sufficient. If a 4' 11" small framed person ate1200 cal per day, she may gain weight because she exceeds her energy needs. Further, especially for very petite persons with a small caloric budget, estimating caloric intake is unlikely to work. Petites need to be quite precise with measuring and recording the exact calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, please remember that your body burns calories just to stay alive! You're eating way under what your body needs to sustain itself so, therefore, your metabolism will slow. If your BMR (calories you burn just by being a couch potato) is, say, 1,500, and you're burning 1,100 calories in a workout, you've then burned 2,600 calories in a day. By eating only 1,200 calories, your body is sitting there with an extra 1,400 calories burned...and STARVING! If your goal is to lose a pound a week (shouldn't be more than 2) and one pound = approximately 3,500 calories, then a 500 calorie deficit per day is all you need. If you want to lose 2 pounds per week, then a 1,000 calorie deficit is what you need. Any more than that and your metabolism will crash and your body will begin to burn your muscle for energy, rather than fat, because it feels that it is starving and needs to hold onto its emergency fat reserve. I hope this makes sense. Read the links that others have sent. This is a good one. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Be good to your body and it will be good to you! :)
  • hurricanekaty
    Options
    Thank you for being the only person to reply with something nice and helpful. I genuinely appreciate it.
  • hurricanekaty
    Options
    Thank you so much! I honestly had no idea! I'm not trying to starve myself I just figured that if I ate 1200 calories then any exercise would be an extra boost in my diet regime. I honestly had no idea that I was starving myself!