New found Eating Out Idea

Options
So yesterday I sat down at a little hole in the wall place for a meeting. It was about brunch time and everyone ordered breakfast including me. I was brought up as you always finish everthing on your plate and nothing goes to waste and the breakfast came and it was huge. I was sitting there thinking this is a lot of food but also that I had to finish and really who wants to pack up left over eggs for later. So there I sat picking away eating more and more thinking I have to stop then thinking don't waste it. I finally stopped but well after what my goal was.

Later I thought I should have ordered a sandwich or a burger and that would be worth packing up and finishing the next day. So now my goal will be when I eat out to pick something I know will store and reheat well. That way I won't have the guilt of leaving it on the plate and will be happy eating the left overs another time. Thought it may be a good tip that I learned for myself and wanted to share.

Thanks,
Steve

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Great idea, thanks for sharing.
  • dstaroska
    Options
    I will order something and ask for a to go box to be brought with the meal. I then will move 1/2 of the order to the box. this limits how much I eat.
  • brighta
    Options
    Sounds good to me and I also like the message you wrote in your profile!
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :o)
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thats a very good idea Steve, something i'll think about the next time i eat out. I two was raised to finish my plate, not that my folks would use the whole "Starving people" in asia thing, just not to let it go to waist, course granted mom did give me small portions, but i was the one who always went back for seconds! Im always faced with, (When eating out), what do i order? Something i want or something "Healthy", i try, but dont always go for Healthy, guess it depends on my mood? Thanks for the tip.
    Carol
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    I do that a lot...get something that will re-heat well the next day. That usually gets me away from a lot of unhealthy foods that re-heat bad (fried food, cream sauce). It is nice because you save money too! I often get the soup or salad to go also. That way if I do finish my meal I still have something for the next day and I am not super stuffed. Thanks for sharing! Good luck!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I always ask for a to-go box right when I order. If the waiter states they can box it up after the meal I politely ask again that a box be brought with the food.

It's a great idea! Good thinking on your part about thinking of concentrating on things you can easily make another meal later! :)
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    dstaroska - I've heard of doing that (packing up the food as soon as you get it), and have been tempted to try it -- but do they look at ya funny? (I know. I shouldn't care. But I do.)
  • hondamamma
    Options
    That is what i do i go in thinking Im going to get something small end up getting a plate full it is always so go i eat it all. :sad:
  • thatklutzychick
    thatklutzychick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    dstaroska - I've heard of doing that (packing up the food as soon as you get it), and have been tempted to try it -- but do they look at ya funny? (I know. I shouldn't care. But I do.)

I've done this before and they sometimes do.

I prefer to take my knife and make a ridiculously obvious cut halfway down whatever I'm eating (including sides). If I have something like mixed veggies, I separate the single serving into two even groups slightly spaced out. Granted, this method also can get you weird looks, but I like it better than asking for the box at the beginning of the meal.
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, that is a great idea!

Just my two cents, I have found something that helps me when going out to eat is to choose my meal before I go. That way, I can figure out what calories I can budget for.

Thank you for sharing your idea. I will definitely use that next time I go out!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

I will also ask someone at my table if they'd be willing to split an entree. Just ask the server to bring an extra plate. :)
  • dstaroska
    Options
    Even if they do look at me funny, does it really matter?
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I find that more and more restaurants will accomodate requests for 1/2 portion. You may not see it on the menu, but you can always ask your waiter... I have noticed its often not exactly 1/2 of the advertised price, but I don't mind paying a bit more to eat a reasonnable portion of what I really want :wink:
  • amie12
    amie12 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!