Heels wearing out in my shoes - why?

Options
tnqnt
tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
Does anyone know what causes the heels to wear out prematurely in sneakers? I buy good shoes (Asics). I am constantly buying new sneaks due to heel wearout. I use my sneakers only at the gym and use them to do stairs (stairmaster), treadmill (walk and jog) and elliptical (cybex)... thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Just a guess here....you put all your weight on your heels?

They are only meant to last a few months with daily use. :ohwell:
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    running shoes last between 300-600 miles for most people.

If you notice distinctive wear on your heels, etc, that is because you are using that are the most. From your description, it sounds like you are heel striker. I would suggest that you take a look at your form next time and see if you are overstriding while walking/running.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great advice given so far, I'd suggest going to a speciality running store when you're ready for another pair. They should check your stride and use a pressure measurement (to see how your arches fall and where you hold your weight in your feet) and from that can suggest a few different running shoes that would be good for you. They should also watch you try them on and walk around and listen to your feedback to make sure you pick the best one for you.

Just because you're buying a good name brand shoe doesn't mean it's the right shoe for you!
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Thanks :):) Its the inside of the heel that is wearing out - inside the shoe..... I had my foot fitted to these shoes.... almost like my foot is rubbing the inside back of the shoe.....could they be too loose, too big, too ..something? I have had this problem for years... maybe it is overuse, as someone stated? I do about 9 hours of cardio a week. I have had these shoes for 2 months.... the sole of the shoe looks almost brand new.... albeit I am only using them indoors at the gym....
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem---On both of my shoes, the left side wears out quicker than the right. That's the outside side on the left foot and the inside side on the right. Been that way all my life.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Also, I have a medium arch .. forgot to add that :):) thanks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    If you got custom made Orthodic inserts for your shoes, your pronation problems wouldn't be as acute. Do you have pain in your feet, legs or back?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    tnqnt isn't talking about the bottom of the shoe wearing out. The inside cloth bit behind the hill.

And I don't know. Mine are always destroyed in 2 months too.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    If you got custom made Orthodic inserts for your shoes, your pronation problems wouldn't be as acute. Do you have pain in your feet, legs or back?

Hi:-) no pain other than fatigue.... just prone to blisters on heels due to my wearing out of heel of shoes..
  • tnqnt
    Options
    tnqnt isn't talking about the bottom of the shoe wearing out. The inside cloth bit behind the hill.

And I don't know. Mine are always destroyed in 2 months too.

Precisely that :-)
  • PaulaA1979
    Options
    Okay, I'm having the same issue as tnqnt. I got my pair end of June or so, hole appeared after maybe 6 wks - and checking my diary - 20 kms running ! (12 miles)
    Other than I walk in them to work and back, which is 1 hr x 5 days a week (if it's not raining). And I wear them at the gym, but if I'm not on the treadmill as detailed above, it's just the bike or weights. I don't do classes or anything.
    I'm quite a newbie to running too and it took some convincing for me to spend $$$ on shoes.
    Mine are Asics GT-2170 and I got fitted for these too - but bought them off wiggle so returning them could be questionable.
    I've sent Asics an email to see what they say, but I've noticed in a few forums it seems quite common with Asics.
    I am an overpronator - is that the word? I realise this could make a bit of difference, but 20 kms ??
    A friend wears the same shoes and they last her a year, she runs probably up to 20 kms a week.

Sorry for the novel
  • elizardbeth
    elizardbeth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I googled it and came across this post. I have the exact same problem. My shoes were fitted at a running store but for some reason I seem to wear out my left heel always. I called a shoe repair place in town and they said they can put in a leather "heel liner" for $15 a pair. Since my shoes were $150 and fairly new I think it's well worth the money. Good luck!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

This was my thought exactly. I'm a heavy pronator. I have to buy shoes for it in addition to inserts or my knees and right behind my big toes will kill me and my shoes wear out in odd places a little sooner than you'd expect.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try shoes with a lower "heel-to-toe drop". Most shoes have a raised heel, which puts more wear on the heel when you walk & run.

Make sure to transition slowly to lower heeled shoes to prevent Achilles strain.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem all the time. I used to put some duct tape in them to make them last a bit longer. I've had orthotics for a year and a half for pronation and I don't get that wear any more.