Heart Rate Question

Options
I'm a 51m and just finished the c25k program today. Also, today I tried out my new heartrate monitor. What I noticed is during the first mile my heart rate was in the 80-90 range. After a mile, I turned up the speed and my heart rate jumped to the 165-180 range for the remainder of the 3 mi run. All of the calculators suggest I should be dead, but I don't know how accurate those things are. I feel fine, but just have a high heart rate. Is this something that should concern me, or is this something that will improve as my conditioning improves?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most of those calculators are estimates and can be pretty inaccurate. If you didn't die, you likely weren't actually at your max HR. For the 220-age, my HR is always higher than it should be, even when doing an easy run. There are other methods you can do to establish your true max HR.
    It will likely improve as you conditioning does.
  • gregallen549
    Options
    Thanks for the response!
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    80-90 & running- doesn't sound right. My HRM shows 80-90 when I'm just doing my office job (sitting). When I'm walking about 3.5-4 mph it's about 135-145, when I'm running at 7.5 mph it's in 170-175. What HRM are you using? Does it have a chest strap?
  • gregallen549
    Options
    I'm using the 60beat Blue HRM (with chest strap). http://www.amazon.com/60beat-Heart-Monitor-iPhone-iPads/dp/B0096DM3ES
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've checked the reviews on amazon, many people are noticing the inconsistent results...

One of the reviews: "I had my heart rate reading suddenly jump from the 140 range to over 200, and stay that way for some time, then suddenly drop back down. This happened on more than one occasion. The first time it scared me because I thought there was something wrong with my heart. The second time, I took my pulse manually to confirm that it was in a normal range, and then I sent the heart rate monitor back and got a Polar."

So that might be your monitor, not you. You can try to count your pulse next time it shows 180. I get this number only when my personal trainer puts me on a treadmill and makes me run so fast I can't even think anymore.

I use Polar watch with chest stripe myself, so far so good. I'm sure there are many good devices around, you might want to contact the manufacturer too, just in case yours is defective.
  • gregallen549
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I have an old "watch style" HRM. I'll wear it on my next run and compare results.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    An easy method to know if your heart rate is in a good zone while running is; if you can easily talk, it is not high enough. If you can not talk or words come out very labored, it is too high. If you can have a labored conversation, you are in the zone you need to be in. Leave the monitor at home, you do not need it.
  • tjw00
    tjw00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 also, so we have a bit in common. I've had my heart rate spike after a mile or so and stay spiked till I stopped running. Why this happens , I don't know. I used to think it happened when i had a hangover, but it happens without a hangover. Though the problem may be the accuracy of your HRM, i would be cautious. As has already been suggested, wear a second heart strap if you have one. I did this for quite a while before had confidence in my equipment.
  • tjw00
    tjw00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Forgot the most important part: If indeed you are hitting 165 to 180 , I'd say slow it down a bit. I'm the same age, and I never intentionally go beyond 170 to 174 (during sprints and speed bursts or hills.) and I tend to slow things down when i hit 162. My usual race average is 155.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I question too the start of the workout being 80-90, unless it was walking and already in decent shape.

But the high readings could be you have a Honda heart compared to diesel heart, just genetics and makes the 220-age very inaccurate.

Also, if wearing any poly clothes, the static that can be built up by it rubbing or the wind or even a fan if dry air, can cause elevated readings.
    Sometimes stupid high so it's obvious something is wrong, sometimes just 10-15 higher so you might never know.

To confirm that static issue, confirm strap sensors are wet when putting on, and when you see it go up, push your shirt to the strap with your hand. Removes the static effect while doing it.
    If HR almost immediately lowers that was it.

Get some Static Cling spray. Usually good for long enough until you sweat enough which takes care of it too.
  • gregallen549
    Options
    I looked again at the chart on runkeeper. For the first mile is was very flat Started out at 83 and gradually climbed to 91. I turned on the speed, somewhat and INSTANTLY spiked at 184. After a few seconds it dropped to 162 and remained very flat. At the end of the run I pushed harder and the rate gradually climbed to 175, then I cooled down. Maybe this sheds some light on the situation for someone smarter than me.
  • CrashHamster
    CrashHamster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the contacts on the strap before you started? It sounds like a bad contact to me; I'd be inclined to ignore every number before the 162; from then on, it's all plausible!

FWIW, if you're going to run a lot, most of it should be at a conversational pace, with maybe one session of really hard hills or intervals. The stuff at middling pace is less useful at improving your fitness. Have a look at 'Hadd training' and 'polarised training' for the science behind it.

As an indicator, I'm an M48; I run 40-50 miles a week; I do 5k (as 200m intervals) fast (HR gets up to 175-180), a 6-7 mile run at HR about 160-165 and the rest is below 140. I once hit maximum HR of 203 (felt dizzy, tunnel vision, had to sit down, a proper maximum!) but probably couldn't hit much above 190 now I'm 10 years older.

If you really want to know your max, google 'max heartrate test' and prepare to feel awful! :o)
  • gregallen549
    Options
    I did wet the contacts. Also, I sweat quite a bit, so they stay very well lubricated.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I looked again at the chart on runkeeper. For the first mile is was very flat Started out at 83 and gradually climbed to 91. I turned on the speed, somewhat and INSTANTLY spiked at 184. After a few seconds it dropped to 162 and remained very flat. At the end of the run I pushed harder and the rate gradually climbed to 175, then I cooled down. Maybe this sheds some light on the situation for someone smarter than me.

Ya - static.

When in the gym - I'd get a spike of 20-30 instantly when the rotating fan turned and pointed at me briefly on a treadmill, where my motion was already generating friction. Friction and poly = static.

Wet contacts had nothing to do with it, though it helped make recovery faster when fan moved on.

Beyond that, it could be valid, and your idea of turning on the speed is REALLY turning on the speed.
    And that's exactly what the HR does, spikes higher than it needs to be, evidenced by the fact it then lowers despite going the same speed.

And that is exactly why HRM for calorie burn for non-steady-state cardio is going to be inflated - HR is always as the spiked part, never able to lower back to what it only needs to be.