Is My Goal Realistic?

Options
I am 162-163 LBS, 5"9', Female and am about to start eating 1,200 calories a day. I want to lose about 30 pounds by mid August. Is this reachable with 40 minutes of exercise each day? 130-135 is the average weight for my body height and my bone structure.
If its not achievable eating 1,200 should I lower calories or increase exercise? Thanks.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight primarily as a result of your diet, the effect of exercise on weight loss is minimal. Though it keeps you in good shape and improves your overall well being, so it's still worth doing.

Where are you getting your figures from? Your goal seems on the low side for someone of your height, but not unrealistic. Don't eat less than 1200 per day, you won't get enough proper nutrition on less. What's the rush with losing that amount by a specific date?
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think you need to do a bit more research. 130-135 is not "average" for a 5'9" female. I'm 5'7" with a small-medium frame (right on the cusp). 130-135 would be at the low end of my healthy weight range, with 155 at the top.

You plan sounds acceptable, but I don't know where you got your "average" figures.
  • loseweightfast339
    Options
    This is from my family, they are all about this height and weight and look all healthy. I do not carry the weight well because of my bone structure and body shape
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the above. I am only 5'4" and my goal is 135lbs. at this weight I wears size 4/6 and can rock a bikini. At 5'9" you would be a stick. I highly doubt that is the average.
  • nonutella4u
    Options
    Hy, I'm your height and I used to be your weight, I'm around 130 right now and it took me a long time to get there, around a year and a half but I took it slowly at the beginning. Why are you in a rush, are you interested in modeling by any chance? Either way if you want to see results you just need to stick to the plan, any kind of workout and healthy eating will do, you just need to stick to it.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is from my family, they are all about this height and weight and look all healthy. I do not carry the weight well because of my bone structure and body shape

People are not always honest about their weight, in my experience taller girls gets embarrassed by the numbers, even if they look great.
  • loseweightfast339
    Options
    I am moving in August and would like to be comfortable with my weight for the first time in my life, and not let my insecurity hold me back from making new friends:)
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am 162-163 LBS, 5"9', Female and am about to start eating 1,200 calories a day. I want to lose about 30 pounds by mid August. Is this reachable with 40 minutes of exercise each day? 130-135 is the average weight for my body height and my bone structure.
    If its not achievable eating 1,200 should I lower calories or increase exercise? Thanks.

August...of 2014?

No, I don't think this is realistic. You are setting yourself up for failure or worse (like an eating disorder).

Your weight is already in the range for a "normal" BMI. While BMI isn't the be-all end-all, it gives us a general picture of where you currently are.

It's extremely unlikely you can lose 2 lbs a week for the next 3 months in any healthy way. Please do a lot more study on this website. Here's the link everyone enjoys giving (for very good reason): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • nonutella4u
    Options
    You don't need to be in such a hurry :) In my experience working out helps a whole lot with any depression or negativity, so if you want to work out a lot every day you will see results fast and you will feel great! Just don't stress about it too much.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    A low weight won't solve your self-confidence problems. It works better if you go at it the other way around.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you're going by BMI, 125-165 lbs at 5'9 is considered healthy. I dunno about average though. You're basically at the top of the healthy range.

As for 1200 calories, I don't think this is realistic at all for someone your size. 1200 calories is more for petite and older women. Plus, with exercising, you need to make sure you're properly fueling your body and getting adequate nutrition.

So basically you want to lose roughly 25-30 lbs (by what you've said). You've given a 3 month time line. You're basically shooting for somewhere between 8-10 lbs lost a month. Let me tell you now, that's extremely hard to do. You need a massive deficit for that, and it will run you ragged if you try. IMO, you should shoot for no more than 2 lbs a week, which would be about 6lbs/month, and even then, that's hard to do. Especially coming from an already healthy BMI. Even if you lose alot of water weight in the beginning, you'd still have to have a pretty aggressive deficit.

So to answer your question, in short, No, I do not think your goal is realistic.
  • loseweightfast339
    Options
    So what would be a realistic goal by August of 2014?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So what would be a realistic goal by August of 2014?

No more than 2 lbs a week. But you should probably be closer to 1 lbs/week.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here's a very good guide to some topics you should read thoroughly: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Read the sections labeled "The Basics" and "Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets." Once you've read those, figured out your BMR and TDEE, come back here and post questions! MFP people want to help. Starving yourself (which you'd have to do...and you probably STILL wouldn't get to a 30 lb loss) is not the answer.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's a reachable goal. Also weight lifting will help tremendously
  • platedlizard
    platedlizard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Losing weight won't make you feel more confident. You're at the top end of 'healthy' so while you could still stand to lose some weight you shouldn't starve yourself for it.

Personally, if I were you, I'd set a different sort of fitness-related goal. Rather than trying to lose weight you might want to set a goal of, say, being able to run 5k by August, or being able to lift X amount by your move (whatever X is, that's something you might have to suss out with a personal trainer), or training to climb a mountain and then doing it, etc. Being able to finish a 5k race or lifting weights at the gym would not only introduce you to new people it will also give you a sense of accomplishment that will increase your self-confidence. Also, you may not lose weight but you will probably gain muscle (especially if you are lifting weights) and muscle looks good on women, as well as causing you to drop dress sizes.

One of the problems with a 1200 calorie diet is that you will become very hungry and then you'll binge--this is why extreme diets fail.