Is Ice Skating A Good Workout?

Options
I went the other day and my legs were so soar for like 4 days is it a good workout, it was certainly more fun than other forms of cardio I have tried

Replies

• ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I certainly felt like it was when I went a few months ago! It got my heart rate up plenty, even with the cold I was sweating. Plus my muscles the next morning were aching like never before!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a very good workout. Even doing laps is fab cardio.

I'm a figure skater, so when I skate I really work, with jumps and spins and edgework (the edgework probably does more for me than anything else!). But just doing laps is really great for stamina as well. If you keep up a steady pace (rather than going flat-knacker), you'll do better.

Even beginner moves, like swizzles and pumps, would be good for you.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Speed skating is a great cardio.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Heck ya! I love ice skating can't wait to start up again. I can burn around 500 calories an hour ( that is keeping up a very fast pace) Have fun!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets your limbs moving and your heart beating fast is good cardio.

I used to play ice hockey, which naturally is superior to both speed skating and figure skating :bigsmile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Rollar blading and rollar skating is considered a cardio workout. So of course. Just like dancing, dancing can be considered working out if you are elevating your heart rate enough.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I was always skinny after eating tons of chunk food, i did ice skating 1-2 times a week for about 8 hours each lol.. not to mention your legs get a hell of a workout.. so yeah, i'd consider it good workout :P
  • hanwyz
    hanwyz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Figure skating used to absolutely knacker me out! I used to do an hour lesson followed by a two hour public skate once a week - I was exhausted after it... funny how since stopping that I've gained weight...
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not to mention it's great for the booty!
  • misskarne
    Options
    I used to play ice hockey, which naturally is superior to both speed skating and figure skating :bigsmile:

Oh, bring it, hockeyjerk! :bigsmile:

Real athletes figure skate. ;)
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

I can barley move forward well, I think I will have to work up to swizzles and jumps, any pointers? lol
  • misskarne
    Options
    I can barley move forward well, I think I will have to work up to swizzles and jumps, any pointers? lol

Yeah, I'd suggest an adult group learn-to-skate class, if your rink offers it. If you have extra cash, you can go one-on-one with a private coach - even fifteen minutes a week would make a real difference. I take one half-hour lesson a week, and the rest goes to practice - anywhere between four and six hours. But that's only because I get all gung-ho (especially right about now, when the international season has started and I watch my favourite skaters take on the big competitions!).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It's kinda like swimming. If you just sit there and float/glide, it's not worth much. If you move around, it's great and low impact (unless you fall or are checked)
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am going ice skating tomorrow. It is just public skate. I can skate pretty well without looking like a newborn giraffe but I am no figure skater. The exercise log here says 60 minutes of ice skating burns 648 calories. Heck, if that's the case I'm gonna make that one of my workouts each week. Is there any way this could possibly be true? 648 calories?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I can do a cherry flip and a 3 jump in full ice hockey kit... :bigsmile:
  • UmmaOfThree
    UmmaOfThree Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to go twice a week. I'm not one of the fancy people on the ice either, but I'm fairly good and getting better each time I do it. If I can keep just one exercise, it would be this one. I've lost an inch from each thigh in just a month's time because of it.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    My eldest has always been really skinny and we used to call him Mr Burns! He started ice hockey about 2 years ago and he has gain so much muscle. He said to me the others day when he started he looked like a boy in ice hockey kit and now he looks like a man, he's now 24 and has to get bigger jeans for his thighs.
  • RobertReese12
    Options
    All kinds of ice skating - recreational, figure, hockey, and speed skating are all good forms of physical exercise. You will burn anywhere from 400 (rec.)- to 900 (figure, hockey, speed) calories per hour of skating. All kinds of ice skating are good for heart and they help to loss weight with flexibility.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've heard you get double the workout using these:

2ewm9vq.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    I would say yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition