Thoughts on YourEatopia?

Options
I was informed of this website by some people on here and I was wondering if it's a reliable website? There's a lot of write up on some stuff that I'm struggling with at the moment, especially how I've started binge eating since beginning recovery for my eating disorder despite being at a healthy BMI. The author of the website, Gwyneth Olwyn, mentions that binging during recovery is not binging at all and is more of the body's response to starvation. She also suggests that we have to eat 2500-3000 calories a day to fully recover from a restrictive eating disorder, no matter what your weight is.

I'm at BMI 20-21 right now, so I'm a bit afraid of eating that amount because... I don't really need to gain weight, do I? The only thing left is for me to get my periods back. I found out a lot of people in the ED recovery community are following YourEatopia's guidelines. But I've also seen many people disagree with Gwyneth's recommendations.

Should I follow through with YourEatopia's recommendation to fully recover or should I just eat the 1600-1800 calories my dietician suggested?

I'm sorry if this is not the right website to ask questions like this. I don't know where else to seek advice from. :(

Replies

• kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents: it seems like she is advocating something quite experimental, and could be triggering if you are still worried about your weight. perhaps it is better to discuss it with your nutritionist?
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    All websites about diet and nutrition will have differing opinions/sources and all will generalise to some extent as everyone is different. You mention that you have a dietitian - I would say you definitely should follow their advice!!! First of all your dietitian is medically trained to help people so they are a reliable source in themselves, but most importantly they will know you - your exact history, and your individual needs. I don't know how often you see him/her but I would discuss things like this you find online with them as they can tell you why/why not things like this work for some people and why/why not they would be suitable for you.

Also I get the impression the dietitian advice is recent, so stick to that for the time being (maybe it will help to think of it as an experiment for now?) and if it's not working for you talk to your dietitian about it and reassess together.

(I am by no means an expert and this is just my opinion/what I would do)
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The thing that I'm worried about is that my dietician doesn't specialize in eating disorders. I come from a country where EDs aren't common, and there's literally no treatment for people suffering from it. Which is why I rely mostly on the Internet and online forums for help with recovery. :(

Edit: I remember one time going to see a doctor (I was referred to them by a GP) at a really low BMI and they told me to eat 1200 calories and not worry so much. And when I asked them if I'd have to gain weight, they told me that "girls your age all weigh around the same amount. You'll be fine...". So yeah. It's hopeless.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hmmm well if it's the internet you want to get answers from (please remember to take everything with a pinch of salt - it could be anyone responding to you!) Then maybe a forum for the ED you suffer from? Or something like Web MD where actual doctors respond? Although to be honest I would be reluctant to suggest real health advise online. I hope you solve it in the end anyway! Best of luck!
  • Tinydancer91
    Tinydancer91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be eating that much a day. Regardless if you're wanting to recover or not, you're most likely going to be gaining a good amount of weight within a short amount of time. Recovery/nutritional calories only applies to a few pounds actually, then the weight will really start stacking up. I have a BMI of 18 & I just turned 23. Don't have a disorder but I am somewhat restrictive, it's apparent I know. When I was 19 I fell hard into anorexic tendencies so I know a lot about this, as I had to help myself recover and was pretty alone in it. Just don't do what I did, that chick is a liar. They may be recovery calories but they're still the same old calories! I was VERY underweight and gained a LOT of weight fast, and I didn't even pig out too hard at all. It's just your body isn't used to the intake so you will surely gain on that alone. It was mentally draining to see myself gain 20 pounds in just over two months, and I don't want it to happen to you. My best advice would be just to eat a few hundred cals more than you are now honestly..and the weight should creep on. Although if you're game for gaining 20 pounds in two months then by all means go for it.
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Huh... I don't even know what to do now.
  • mongoloriver
    Options
    I wouldn't be eating that much a day. Regardless if you're wanting to recover or not, you're most likely going to be gaining a good amount of weight within a short amount of time. Recovery/nutritional calories only applies to a few pounds actually, then the weight will really start stacking up. I have a BMI of 18 & I just turned 23. Don't have a disorder but I am somewhat restrictive, it's apparent I know. When I was 19 I fell hard into anorexic tendencies so I know a lot about this, as I had to help myself recover and was pretty alone in it. Just don't do what I did, that chick is a liar. They may be recovery calories but they're still the same old calories! I was VERY underweight and gained a LOT of weight fast, and I didn't even pig out too hard at all. It's just your body isn't used to the intake so you will surely gain on that alone. It was mentally draining to see myself gain 20 pounds in just over two months, and I don't want it to happen to you. My best advice would be just to eat a few hundred cals more than you are now honestly..and the weight should creep on. Although if you're game for gaining 20 pounds in two months then by all means go for it.
    This is awful, awful, advice. Most people maintaining after an ED have severely disordered hunger cues, and it is of the utmost importance that you don't interfere with your body and mind's healing process. Restricting, calorie counting etc. can lead to relapses and confusion about food and food choices. Your eatopia is a wonderful resource; health care professionals are not trying to sabotage you and only have the wellbeing of the people they deal with in mind. Given that the OP has not yet regained her period it is advisable that she continue gaining until her body is entirely recovered. : ( Please see a GP or dietician and let them know you have a history of EDs and hopefully they can advise you accordingly. Most importantly take everything you hear from public message boards with a grain of salt and trust your team and most importantly your own body and needs : ) Good luck!