I feel bad saying no

Options
I just got a call from my best friend. She wants to go to dinner tonight because her husband is out of down and she doesn't feel like cooking. She is prego and due is less than 3 weeks. I told her I really don't have the money to go out right now, which is true (although my want for healthy eating is more true to the real reason I don't want to go) so she offered to pay for me and both my kiddos. I then said that it is a very nice offer but I should really get my walk in instead. She then said that we should walk to dinner so I can get my walk but we can still see each other. She then said that she is really wanting to talk with me about all the changes the baby will bring (her 2nd child and she has had a hard 9 months chasing her tot while prego) and that she will be very busy with the new baby soon and we wont have any time together for a while, I got the feeling she really needs me now and I couldn't tell her no. But now I am worried I am going to blow it at dinner. I am walking to her house to meet her and her son and then we will push our strollers to Burger King. :sad: I want to go a place that is better for me, but she wont be able to walk the 3 miles to the other dinner choice in our area (at least not without going into labor).

HELP! What do I do now? I was thinking I could eat before I go and just have a salad there, but I really don't trust myself in a fast food place yet!

ADVISE PLEASE!!!

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Look up a few of your favorite foods on Burger King's nutritional menu (I think they have one...McDonald's does..) Are those things WORTH it to you? If they are, have something! If not, opt for a low-cal YUMMY salad. (Look at those cals though first, before you get one. Some of them are pretty high!) I know how you feel though!! Sometimes my mind tells me one things, and my stomach tells me another once I'm in there with the intention of ordering a salad!!! Good luck!!
  • skttls1299
    skttls1299 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is better to be honest. Tell her you don't trust yourself at Burger King and offer to make a healthy entree at your house that you both can enjoy. Honesty is the best policy. You will feel better!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Whopper Jr, no mayo and a side salad with lite Italian. The sodium is high, but relatively healthy.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Why couldn't you invite her over and you could both cook a healthy meal together? Bonding in the kitchen is a great way to talk - plus you - and your kids - will get a healthy meal!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Whopper Jr, no mayo and a side salad with lite Italian. The sodium is high, but relatively healthy.

This is what I did (but I skipped the dressing on my salad), I also drank a ton of water while there to help with the high sodium. The little ones had apple fries with the kid meals and I did have a very nice talk with my friend while our boys had little boy play time together. :smile: The biggest issue for her is that she is really ready to have the baby but her husband is being a jerk, telling her he cant wait for her old body to come back, while she feels after the baby comes she will have hard time with dropping the extra baby pounds. I told her about MFP and said I would love to help with the kids while she goes for a run or has a workout after she is feeling up to it and that offer seemed to make her feel better.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I didn't go over my calories and I did get in my hour of walking while I pushed a 97 lb double stroller. :bigsmile:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Why couldn't you invite her over and you could both cook a healthy meal together? Bonding in the kitchen is a great way to talk - plus you - and your kids - will get a healthy meal!

She really didn't want to deal with cooking, or waiting for me to cook. Plus I needed my walk and don't have time to do an hour walk, cook, eat and get the kids to bed on time. But good idea :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    When I go to Burger King, I get the Whopper Jr. with no mayo and no cheese and the small fries. Or you could do without the fries. Go to their website ahead of time and look at the menu and nutrition info. Good luck to you.