Why you look fat in pictures

Options

Replies

• SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great post. Some interesting tips, especially the crossing your ankles bit, I never thought of that before. Must try it on my next night out. :o)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    So next time I get a photo done I'm asking the person to stand on a chair lol
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like the tips, maybe they can help me out a little! ... but I am pretty sure I look fat because I am fat :wink:
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    People that look fat in pictures typically are fat, the camera does not lie.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is interesting.

I also look fat in pictures because I end up being the one standing partly sideways, so I look way wider.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

There are certain angles that make you look bigger than you really are. I'm not just talking about my own photos, I've seen it with friends who I see in real life and know exactly how big they are or aren't.
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    Might be true that you might look worse on the pics than you do normally, and even people who aren't fat can end up looking pretty bad. But it doesn't mean the best way to go about it is to use camera tricks (or clothes hacks etc). Looking bad in photos is what motivated me to lose weight in the first place. Took a few photos when I got engaged and, while some of them might have been worse than they really were, I got disgusted with myself and vouched to lose weight.

Perhaps looking bad in photos can motivate others too. And I'm not saying you shouldn't try to make yourself look good for photo purposes only, that's what most photos are for. But instead of seeing one bad pic and saying 'camera angle is wrong', maybe put that photo close by and keep it as motivation for weight loss.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    See, I always looked fat in pictures because I was fat :wink:

But yeah, there are definitely ways of looking smaller/better in pictures :)
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    yeah , cute , but im gonna go with i look fat in pictures, because i need to lose weight...

cameras dont really "add 5 lbs" they dont have selective vision, its a lense without judgement..

you look fat in pictures because you are not fit, and need to get fitter, these tricks HELP , but only help... they do not change reality,

~~~~
    For Me: looking 10 lbs more or less in a photo
    is not going to change the fact that i still have 70 lbs to lose,
    ~~~~
    just my opinion..
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I hate the sidearm shot where my arm is pressed against me, making it look twice as big.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Your comment is rude and ignorant.

Immediately after my bodybuilding competition I went to dinner with some figure competitor friends. A friend took a picture of all of us. Some of us weren't paying attention and since we were just sitting there naturally we somehow looked fat despite the fact that we had very low body fat (we had just spent the day on stage in a bikini). Posing does play a part.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hate the sidearm shot where my arm is pressed against me, making it look twice as big.

Mine still does that :grumble:

Putting your hand on your hip definitely makes a difference in making your arm look thinner.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Your comment is rude and ignorant.

Immediately after my bodybuilding competition I went to dinner with some figure competitor friends. A friend took a picture of all of us. Some of us weren't paying attention and since we were just sitting there naturally we somehow looked fat despite the fact that we had very low body fat (we had just spent the day on stage in a bikini). Posing does play a part.

Some of my stage pics from the "pro" photographer (I use that term lightly because he was terrible) make me look fat. I had abs and below 20% BF, so I really don't think I was fat at the time either.

I don't think any of us are saying the camera puts on 50lbs but some unflattering angles can add extra pounds.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with many of the posts here. I know I am not fat, and my bodyfat is low to average (depending) But I still can look fat in pictures....even my profile pic. If you met me you would be surprised at how small I am.

I have taken pictures that make me look overweight too...just by the angle or clothing. It can be frustrating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For Me: looking 10 lbs more or less in a photo
    is not going to change the fact that i still have 70 lbs to lose,

That is definitely true, lol.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting - it's a good article. Now I know why "after" photos in the Daily Mail are always of women with their legs crossed!

I tried the double chin trick, but it doesn't seem to work for me and actually pushed the area under my jaw outwards. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    How To Take A Selfie...

Strong language and humor warning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarGT40V8tc
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with many of the posts here. I know I am not fat, and my bodyfat is low to average (depending) But I still can look fat in pictures....even my profile pic. If you met me you would be surprised at how small I am.

I have taken pictures that make me look overweight too...just by the angle or clothing. It can be frustrating.

Seriously? I didn't find your profile picture fat...very learn and fit. Love it...

I always look big both in person and in pictures. I have a very round face and big head, long torso with short fat legs. There's rarely any angle would make me look better...Taking pictures when travelling has become a torture so I decide to give it all up.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I had knew about these tips and it does work-except the tongue against the roof of mouth for me. It was good to read though and get a "refresher course"! Thanks.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    only tip that works for me is I would have to stand far behind in a group so that I wouldn't look too big...