Need friends over 65 who are trying to lose weight.

Options
Constame
Constame Posts: 10 Member
I am 66 and need to lose 125 pounds. I have lost 100 pounds before on WW but I gained it all back plus more. I need someone who I can tell how my day went and keep myself motivated. I am doing this for my health. Hope I can meet a lot of nice people who I can help also.

Replies

• theresajsm
    theresajsm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 65 and I have 100 pounds to lose. I have lost weight on and off over the years. I am diabetic, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and arthritis. I need to lose weight for health reasons but I want to lose weight just for myself. I have had a rough year and I want to make some changes to myself to help me feel better.

I started using myfitnesspal a few weeks ago. I try to log everything I eat and I try to stay on 1200 calories a day. I have lost about 30 pounds over the past few months but I do not feel like I have lost that much. I am just now noticing the difference on mu clothes. I want to lose fast but that just is not happening. I get frustrated easily when I go for weeks with no loss. I like myfitnesspal and I also have a jawbone UP which tracks my steps and my sleep. I like it because it interfaces with myfitnesspal. I hate exercise. I recently got a job where I walk to work and back home and this exercise is helping me I think.

I would like to partner with you on this weight loss journey and hopefully we can help each other.

Theresa
  • kypopie1
    kypopie1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and just got started on 5/12/14. I want to lose 95 lbs. I am still working full time, but hope to retire soon. I want to enjoy my retirement . My husband passed away 2 yrs. ago, so I eat a lot when I am by myself. I find it difficult to make meals for one person. I need suggestions for cooking for one, otherwise I pick up from a fast food restaurant. I walk about 4 to 5 miles per day, otherwise I would be even bigger. I need to lift weights, but can't get into that routine.
    Let me know if there are any 65 year old or older out there and how you are doing on getting healthy.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Ok folks, I am 71, started mfp end of 2012, when was a fat old git

My ticker says it all, I am now a slim old old git

No magic potions, just honest logging and self control

Add me if you wish
  • tsoukalasj
    tsoukalasj Posts: 5
    Options
    I am 66 and have been on 10 days. I am hopeful... (I'd like to lose 25-30 lbs.).:happy:
  • tsoukalasj
    tsoukalasj Posts: 5
    Options
    I like your attitude, farway!
  • kypopie1
    Options
    Faraway
    How long did you have that 74 lbs. and how long did it take you to lose it?
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 72 and have been up and down the scale. I bought a fitbit zip on April 7 and have it synced to mfp. It tells me my calories burned and my calorie intake. I have lost 11 lbs so far.
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,125 Member
    Options
    Welcome new members :flowerforyou: you may want to also post your intro on a very active 60 year old and over group. Just select 'Groups' at the top beside 'message boards' And enter in the search window '60 years old and over'. Good luck on your journey, I am 66 and have over 50+ lbs to lose, send me a friend request if you wish, cheers
  • Gran315
    Gran315 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 77 and need to lose 100+ too. I've never been slim, but I'd settle for my wedding day weight of 200 lbs.
    I previously posted on two other threads set up by 70+ people but neither of them developed, so I'm here.
    An assortment of health problems get in the way of proper exercise, :grumble: I'm just trying to move a bit more around the house.
    You name it, I've tried it in the past, but never had enough staying power to be successful. This is a last ditch attempt
    to shift some of this blubber, not only for my own sake, but out of respect for the local undertaker, I don't want to be the one responsible for giving him a bad back when I need his services! LOL. :laugh:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    kypopie1 I started around Sept 2012, sort of reached my goal, ,of about, April 2013

Then I slacked off and coasted about same weight until Jan 2014

knocked the booze on the head, and lost the final few pounds to April 2014

Now trying to balance and maintain at current weight, which TBH is a bit trial and error, up a but, down a bit, but now I do know how to do it, even if I sometimes fall off the wagon

PS had the excess 70 plus pounds about 5 years, lost it all in earlier years, then just piled it back on, age does not always bring wisdom :)
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi all you 65 plus ladies. I'm 65 and since then many health problems hit me. I was already a diabetic. And I didn't keep it under control. So now I'm battling heart problems. Hopefully June 20th they will patch me up. And I can get back to being active. Right now pretty easy on myself. To much walking knocks the breath out of me.

Today is my second day of no bread or sugar. Going on seven and the feed bag is gone.

Wishing you all a bundle of luck.

See you all lighter.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and just got started on 5/12/14. I want to lose 95 lbs. I am still working full time, but hope to retire soon. I want to enjoy my retirement . My husband passed away 2 yrs. ago, so I eat a lot when I am by myself. I find it difficult to make meals for one person. I need suggestions for cooking for one, otherwise I pick up from a fast food restaurant. I walk about 4 to 5 miles per day, otherwise I would be even bigger. I need to lift weights, but can't get into that routine.
    Let me know if there are any 65 year old or older out there and how you are doing on getting healthy.
    Check out next post
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Oops. What I just started doing is setting up a salad shelf in the fridge. I bought a set of glass storage containers at Costco and put a different fixing in each container. Shredded carrots, beets , beans, corn kernels, cherry tomatoes , etc. Top with your protein choice Makes enough for 4-5 days, Have a big salad meal once a day. Prep is time consuming but it is smooth sailing the rest of the week.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Welcome new members :flowerforyou: you may want to also post your intro on a very active 60 year old and over group. Just select 'Groups' at the top beside 'message boards' And enter in the search window '60 years old and over'. Good luck on your journey, I am 66 and have over 50+ lbs to lose, send me a friend request if you wish, cheers

Thanks for the tip. Belonged to a similar group but it faded.]
  • kypopie1
    Options
    Steppingstone, thanks for the suggestion. It would be good to come home and have this already made up in the refrigerator. Help keep me out of the fast food line.
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Stepping stone
    Like your plan might just steal it. I used to be pretty good at keeping fresh cut veggies for snacks. But got side tracked and quit.

Well I'm new here but certainly not new to dieting. Would like to get 50 lbs off fast. Like yesterday. Has anyone got the same request. LOL

It may be a long weekend but that is not a license to blow the diet out of proportion. I picked Friday to get back with it for a reason.
    Weekends are always tough on me.
    Fed up of doing ok during the week. Only to gain what I lost over the weekend. That has to come to an end.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario Canada.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I guess I am too young at 62! LOL!
  • kypopie1
    Options
    You are not to young and you look great to be 62.
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Never to young or to old to look for health help. Welcome.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you scroll down on this forum page, under Groups, you'll find the Senior Golden Sneakers. It is a group of people (mostly women), many of whom have been on this path for years. There is an ongoing "chat", a pound a week club, recipes, and all kinds of things geared to people "of an age." The main, on-going chat is titled The Senior Golden Sneakers and is where most of us meet.

While some visit daily, simply for the company, or to hear a word of encouragement, others are actively losing every day while finding and suggesting safe ways to integrate exercise in a way palatable to aging bodies.

Pay a visit, read some of the posts and consider joining in the fray.