When are good rest days?

Options
I had a huge physically active day on Wednesday and light workout/run on Thursday. Friday I took 'off' as a rest because I ran a 5K and zumba'd for over an hour (part of the Color Run racing) yesterday. Today? I'm sore and tired... dare I take another rest day even though i played it safe on Thursday and Friday?

Replies

• SimoneNinan
    SimoneNinan Posts: 23
    Options
    No really... does anyone have experience with this??
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question. Is it okay to take a day off? Ummmm......Yes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need a rest day take one. Your workouts will be there tomorrow.

Shut up, everyone on my friend list. I took a rest today. I did.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If I don't take my "down" days (Wed. & Fri) my performance sucks both in kick boxing and weight lifting (even though I'm still lifting pretty light). My body pretty much demands down time.
  • SimoneNinan
    Options
    Thanks guys. Sounds like experiences vote for "if you need one, take one." Was doing a social litmus test to see if 3 rest days in a week = laziness. I'm going to go light today to loosen up my sad muscles and see where that leaves me. Trying not to fall off the exercise wagon. again. :)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Sounds like experiences vote for "if you need one, take one." Was doing a social litmus test to see if 3 rest days in a week = laziness. I'm going to go light today to loosen up my sad muscles and see where that leaves me. Trying not to fall off the exercise wagon. again. :)
    Three rest days in a week is pretty much my normal week. IMHO it's important to listen to your body and rest when you need it, but consider an "active rest day." A long walk, Pilates or yoga, leisurely things that keep you off the couch and keep the blood circulating to your muscles. Sounds like that's where you're headed anyway.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I definitely need at least 1 rest day between my strength work. If I'm doing neither strength nor cardio I sometimes like to do a flexibility workout (such as yoga).
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to my assigned rest days. But also I listen to my body. Sounds like your body is telling you it needs another day.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I rest four days a week and I'm super inspirational and shet.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people who are in pretty darn good shape only workout 3 days a week, so 4 rest days... I wouldn't call them lazy at all.

I do a mix of cardio and strength (T25 Alpha + Gamma) 5 days a week and then a stretch routine the other 2 days which are my "rest" days. I am sure some would say that is too much. I listen to my body, if I need more rest I take it, but that is pretty rare.

Do what you need to :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body it will let you know when it needs a break.... I take Sundays off personally every week (we may take the dogs to the Park for a very casual walk) but other than that I will only take another day off when my body tells me it is time.... Best of Luck
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    My rest days tend to be a bit unscheduled and float from week to week. My husband works swing shifts and I have two young kids so I just "rest" on days I can't make it to work out. I usually have 2 a week, sometimes 3.

Oh and rest days don't make me feel lazy at all…I go pretty balls to the wall in my workouts.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I schedule at least one rest day into my week, and I only do 2 intense workouts back-to-back if they are different activities (e.g., a long, hard bike ride followed by a long hike or run), or if I am positive on day 2 that I can still handle it.

And I listen to my body. A week ago Saturday I did a 10K run and was feeling some knee discomfort the next morning. I tried a 5K run on Tuesday and my knee was bugging me afterwards. Decision: no more running until the knee felt fine walking. I thought I was OK today, but after 40 minutes of walking I felt a twinge (not pain, but a sensation of stiffness), so it's another day off running. Maybe Tuesday....

I'm keeping up with my walking and cycling, since they don't cause pain (and cycling doesn't even cause discomfort). I suspect it's a reactivation of an injury from winter 2012 in the same spot: a bike crash that made it impossible for me to run, and painful to walk, but had no effect on my cycling at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO everyone should have one, one hundred percent rest day each week ..for me it is Saturday, which is the day after I deadlift…

wednesday I do not lift, but I usually do HIIT sprints and Abs that day .
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between tapering and testing before a race and then recovering afterwards, and taking rest days for exercise.

If you're doing a race, you want to not work out the days leading up to it. The amount you rest and taper is based on the distance you are competing, and your fitness level.
  • SimoneNinan
    Options
    Aha! Tapering!!! That's the word I've been missing in my fitness vocabulary! Glad I guessed the right approach!