Cooking Challenge: Black Beans

Options

Replies

• DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Tostadas

1 can low-sodium black beans, rinsed (or equivalent if home cooked)
    Garlic salt to taste
    Crispy Tostada shells
    Cheddar Cheese
    Shredded Lettuce
    Diced Tomatoes
    Black Olives
    Salsa
    (other condiments as desired: jalapenos, sour cream, etc)

Place black beans in food processor and season with garlic salt. Add a little water and process to a "refried" bean consistency.
    Top tostada shells with black beans and cheese. Microwave or heat in oven until warm and cheese melts. Top with desired toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, olives, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, etc).
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    When is the deadline? I love black bean soup, but have not made it from scratch in years. When I was in Costa Rica, the family I stayed with gave me a recipe book that had authentic Tico homemade recipes to include a black bean soup that was absolutely delicious. Need to dig out that recipe book, see if I can made it, and share if it is as good as I remember.

Tom

Saturday the 8th :)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite black bean recipe. It is a great soup. So yummy. The calories are of course based on my specific ingredients and may vary just a bit by what you are using. You can also redude the olive oil from 1 tablespoon down to 1/2 teaspoon if desired. I have attempted to include a photo, but I do not know if it will work.

20100127_002.jpg

Cuban Black Bean Soup

1 pound dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
    1 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    3 cups vegetable broth
    3 cups water
    1/4 cup dark rum
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
    1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 large tomato, chopped

1. Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover. The next day, drain the beans and set aside.
    2. Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add and saute the onion until slightly tender. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
    3. Stir in the broth, water, rum, cumin, oregano, chipotle chili powder and salt. Cover and simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally until beans are tender.
    4,Stir in the tomato and simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.

Serves 8, 1 cup servings. 163 calories, 2 grams of fat and 24 grams for fiber

This recips originally appeared on my blog, My Veggie Table. http://www.myveggietable.com/2010/02/cuban-black-bean-soup.html.
  • laydeedancer
    Options
    I make these spicy black bean cakes and my family DEVOURS them! http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/spicy-black-bean-cakes/Detail.aspx

According to the allrecipes site, they are 219 calories per serving.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    We had black bean burritos tonight:

1/2 cup onion
    1/2 green pepper
    1 can Bush's Best black beans
    *Bill echols Taco seasoning (see below)

La Tortilla factory tortilla
    Yogurt or Light Sour cream
    Avocado
    Diced tomatoes
    Shredded cheese
    Salsa Verde
    Alfalfa sprouts

Sautee the onions and peppers, add in 1 can of beans and mix in taco seasoning. Warm the tortillas, spread with a thin layer of sour cream. Add a bed of sprouts, then 1/4 cup bean mixture, sprinkle with cheese, top with avocado and tomato, drizzle with salsa. Fold and VOILA. :)

**Recipe for Bill Echols taco seasoning:
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Note: Do not use ALL of the flavoring or it will probably be WAY too hot. We doubled the bean/onion/green pepper mixture, still didn't use it all and it was SPICY. :)
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Yum! I am so excited to try some of these new recipes! Here's one of my favorites. It comes from the "Williams-Sonoma Soup" cookbook:

Black Bean Soup

2 c dried black beans
    2 T extra virgin olive oil
    2 yellow onions, finely chopped
    1 or 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 small red bell pepper, diced
    1 t ground cumin
    1 t dried coriander (I left it out b/c I don't have any - didn't miss it)
    1 t dried oregano
    8 cups (4 cans) vegetable broth
    2 T fresh lime juice
    2 T minced fresh cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Pick over beans, discard any stones or misshapen beans and rinse well.
    In a large pot, combine the beans with cold water to cover by 3 inches.
    Soak at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
    Drain and set aside

In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm oil.
    Add onions and saute until soft. Add chile, garlic, bell pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano. Saute until vegetables are soft (7-10 minutes)
    Add beans, vegetable broth. Simmer over medium heat 1-11/2 hours or until beans are soft.

Puree soup in batches leaving some texture as desired. Return soup to the pot.

Add lime juice, minced cilantro, salt and pepper. If soup is too think add water or more broth. Reheat over medium heat.

If desired, serve with a dollop of sour cream, salsa and crushed tortilla chips.

Serves 8

Calories: 156
    Carbs: 30
    Fat: 4
    Protein: 8
    (amounts listed are not including sour cream, salsa and tortilla chips)
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yam and Black Bean Burritos (found this on the Tasty Kitchen part of thepioneerwoman.com)

2 whole med. yams, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
    2 tbsp. cooking oil
    1/2 white onion, chopped
    15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 tsp cumin (can be upped. I used about 1 tsp)
    6 whole wheat tortillas
    1/2 c. sour cream
    bunch cilantro (about 1 tbsp fresh per burrito)

Preheat oven to 375. Toss yam chunks with 1 tbsp. oil on baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes. (I also wrapped my tortillas in foil and threw them in the oven so they would be nice and warm when the filling was ready)

In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over med-hi heat. Add onion and saute until tender. Add beans and cumin and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in yams

Spoon 1/2 c. mixture into warm tortilla. Top with sour cream and fresh cilantro. Take a bite. Die from bliss.

290 cal per burrito
    11.7g fat
    42.4g carbs
    6.9g protein

Serves 6 with one burrito each. Trust me, one is plenty.

We LOVED this. My husband ate three (and this from a man who told me he HATED yams when I wanted to make this recipe), and I was full for the night with one. Even the kids liked it and ate every last bean and piece of yam.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    amygirl71's picture:

20100127_002.jpg
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 onion, chopped
    1/2 16-oz can chili beans
    1/2 16-oz can black beans
    1/2 16-oz can whole kernel corn, drained
    1/2 8-oz can tomato sauce
    6 oz beer
    1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
    1/2 package taco seasoning
    24 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the onions, beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, tomatoes, and taco seasoning in the slow cooker. Stir together. Place the chicken on top of the liquid, vegetables, and beans pressing down into the liquid.

2. Cook on low for 5 hours.

3. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set aside til cool enough to handle. Shred the chicken.

4. Put the chicken back in the slow cooker and cook for 2 more hours.

5. Serve over approximately 8 chips, with about 8 more on top for some crunch.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 453
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I put the soup on this morning, got to forget about it nearly all day, shredded the chicken, forgot about it some more though I couldn't help but drool over the smell it was creating. Then when I was ready, I served the meal, watched Firefly with my boyfriend, and YUM!

The flavor in i was really pleasant. I forgot to serve it with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, which was the initial plan, but it cut down the calories not doing so and I don't think it necessarily needed it. It was a perfect dish for a chilly day.
    PICTURE (optional): DSCN0137-1.jpg
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Yam and Black Bean Burritos (found this on the Tasty Kitchen part of thepioneerwoman.com)

2 whole med. yams, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
    2 tbsp. cooking oil
    1/2 white onion, chopped
    15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 tsp cumin (can be upped. I used about 1 tsp)
    6 whole wheat tortillas
    1/2 c. sour cream
    bunch cilantro (about 1 tbsp fresh per burrito)

Preheat oven to 375. Toss yam chunks with 1 tbsp. oil on baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes. (I also wrapped my tortillas in foil and threw them in the oven so they would be nice and warm when the filling was ready)

In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over med-hi heat. Add onion and saute until tender. Add beans and cumin and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in yams

Spoon 1/2 c. mixture into warm tortilla. Top with sour cream and fresh cilantro. Take a bite. Die from bliss.

290 cal per burrito
    11.7g fat
    42.4g carbs
    6.9g protein

Serves 6 with one burrito each. Trust me, one is plenty.

We LOVED this. My husband ate three (and this from a man who told me he HATED yams when I wanted to make this recipe), and I was full for the night with one. Even the kids liked it and ate every last bean and piece of yam.

Sounds really good. I could see substituting a kabocha squash (japanese pumpkin) for the yam. Yum! Thanks!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    mmm delish! I mean bump to catch up with later tomorrow:blushing: :tongue:
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    New to this thread, but I had to contribute my friend's chili recipe. It's fabulous! For those of you that are vegetarian/vegan, it's a great source of protein! For the canned beans & tomatoes, I use low sodium versions, as I am carefully watching my sodium intake. The nutrition values below are using these low sodium ingredients.

Q’s Black-Bean Chili Adapted from the Beyond the Horn of the Moon Cookbook
    25 January 2004 “8 hearty servings” (whatever that means)

1/4 cup olive oil
    A couple of fist-sized onions, chopped (either red or white works)
    1 t dried oregano
    ½ t unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 t cumin
    ¼ t cinnamon
    A sprinkling of dried red-pepper flakes, to taste (I start with 1 tsp then work up)
    1 medium-large jalapeno, minced whole including seeds and ribs (if not available, up the red-pepper flakes)
    Cayenne to taste
    1 large sweet pepper, chopped (red, yellow, and orange all work)
    4 large garlic cloves, pressed (I up this to taste)
    2 cans black beans, undrained, (low sodium)
    1 28-oz can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained (low sodium)
    1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes (low sodium)
    1 c fresh or frozen corn kernels
    ½ c chopped fresh cilantro (more to taste)
    ¼ c fresh lime juice (@ 1 ½–2 limes)
    Salt to taste)

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté, stirring, until onion is translucent and has begun to caramelize. Add herbs and spices and stir to release the power of the aromatics. Turn the heat way down, cover the pot, and continue to sauté until onion is thoroughly caramelized and soft (but not burned). Uncover the pot, add jalapeno and red pepper, and sauté until tender, covering the saucepan and steaming a bit if necessary. Stir the garlic into the hot vegetable mixture and sauté for 30 seconds or so (garlic burns fast, so you’re just trying to heat it up here). Add beans, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes and bring the mixture to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer for as much time as you can spare (overnight on v. low heat is ideal; several hours is acceptable; one hour is minimal). Add the corn, the cilantro, the lime juice, and the salt and simmer for as much more time as you can spare, working backwards from when you want either to eat this or to cool it down and refrigerate it.

Optional toppings:
    Diced avocado
    Shredded sharp cheese
    Plain Greek yogurt

If you want to up the protein quotient, hydrate a cup of TVP for 5 minutes, then add to the mixture while cooking.

Nutritional values for base recipe:

Per serving:
    225 cals
    Fiber: 9g
    Fat: 9g
    Protein: 8g
    Carbs: 30g
    Sodium: 118 mg

Note: I've done variations on this theme, using garbanzo beans instead of black beans, upping the garlic, etc. This is also great to cook in a slow cooker - after sauteeing the veg & such, pour everything into your slow cooker, stir and cook on low for at least 6 hours.

Cheers!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine gave me basic recipe, I've tweeked it a little, but he deserves the credit. I serve it with a little Raspberry Jalapeno Sauce for myself. Wife likes Garlic Sauce. Both recipes are below.

Black Bean Pancakes

2 15-oz cans cooked black beans
    1 cup Nonfat buttermilk
    1 tablespoon Honey
    2 teaspoons Minced jalapeno pepper
    2 teaspoons Chopped fresh cilantro
    1 cup Unbleached white flour
    1½ teaspoon Baking powder
    ¾ teaspoon Baking soda
    3 Egg whites
    Vegetable oil spray
    -Drain and rinse beans well. Drain very well, then add with the buttermilk and honey, jalapeno and cilantro to a food processor.
    Puree until smooth
    -In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
    -In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir one-third of the beaten egg whites into the bean mixture to lighten it. Gently fold inthe remaining egg whites. Add the flour mixture to the bean puree in 3 parts, mixing carefully but taking care not to deflate the egg whites.
    -Preheat a large, nonstick griddle or saute pan over medium-high heat and spray the griddle lightly with the vegetable oil. For each pancake, ladle 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle and gently spread to about 4 inches. Cook until browned.

Serving size: 3 pancakes approx
    350 calories
    1.0 gram fat
    1.2mg. cholesterol
    300.mg. sodium

Raspberry Jalapeno Sauce

• 1 Jar Raspberry Jam
    • 1 Bottle any brand BBQ Sauce
    • 1 Small Jar Beaver's Hot Jalapeno Mustard
    • 1 can Ortega Chopped Jalapenos (+ or - depending on your taste)
    • Fresh Chopped Jalapenos (You know your own Heat level)
    • 1/8 cup Teriyaki Sauce
    • Tablespoon Sesame Oil
    • Toasted Sesame seeds (a little goes a long way)
    I just mix, place in a pan and simmer together.

Garlic Sauce Recipe

Blend the following ingredients:

• 20 to 25 cloves of garlic
    • 2 cups Canola Oil
    • 1/2 cup Sesame Seed Oil
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    • 1/2 cup Orange Juice
    • Rosemary to taste
    • Pepper to taste
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love black beans. I'm making the Chili con Turkey recipe this weekend and waiting patiently for the black bean burger recipe!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe contribution. I make this at least once a month regardless of the season as the hubby and I both love it.

It started out as a larger recipe since the first time I made it I brought it to a staff picnic (just a casual 4 person lunch – that’s when the photo was taken) but now I reduced the serving size for just the 2 of us as a vegetarian dinner served over brown rice. If you are watching your carbs, you can serve this as a side to chicken breast instead.

South-Western Black Bean Salad

¾ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    ¾ cups frozen corn, thawed
    1 small tomato
    ½ avocado
    ¼ cup red onion
    1 scallion, chopped (optional)
    1 ½ tbsp limejuice
    ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    ½ tbsp dried cilantro (or 2-3 tbsp fresh)
    Pepper to taste

Directions: Combine all ingredients except avocado. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes (optional). Add avocado before serving. Serves 2.

WW Points: 4

Nutrition: 255 cals, 330mg sodium, 37g carbs, 8g fibre, 12g fat, 9g protein

Review: It is very flavourful and so very fresh. It reminds me of something you'd see at a bulk grocery store (you know where pre-made bruscetta mix is and such) but making it yourself means you can control the sodium and nutritional level rather than having something sitting in god knows how much oil for hours on end.
    beans.jpg
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chili Con Turkey

1 pound ground turkey
    1 can (14 oz) Rotel original
    1 can black beans rinsed and drained
    1 can corn drained
    1 packet Chili seasoning
    1 tbls. ground flaxseed
    1 cup cooked brown rice

Brown turkey. Add everything else except the rice and cook for 10 minutes. Serve over the brown rice.

Serves 4: Calories; 407; protein 30 g; fat 11 g; fiber 9

(I've added this recipe to the foods list. Also I like to make this in the crock pot so it simmers longer and the flavors meld together better. My family really likes this recipe.)

Enjoy,

Cindy

I made this last night for DH and I and it was DELISH! We are having the leftovers again tonight and I bet they will be even better. I did have to add about a cup of water. Thanks for sharing!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    It's time to vote for the best black bean dish! Voting ends Wednesday at 5PM PST.

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

The next challenge will be up tonight.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Heather, the black bean salad looks really good and I will make it soon!
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

**Recipe for Bill Echols taco seasoning:
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Note: Do not use ALL of the flavoring or it will probably be WAY too hot. We doubled the bean/onion/green pepper mixture, still didn't use it all and it was SPICY. :)

Thanks for the taco seasoning recipe! Way too much sodium is the packets!