[Questions] Various topics: Diet and health plans

Hello, I'm a male who weighs 290 lbs and is eager to get a diet. This will be my 6th time doing this (did not own a vehicle in the past, now I do so things will be different) and I'm confident that this will work out just fine. I'll post my questions below:

-What is a good food to have that has a really nice, sweet taste that does not have alot of sugar or fat in it?
-Could I of been addicted to either the sugar or the fat from the foods I've eaten?
-How long do you guys/ladies think it would take for your body to adjust from a low metabolism to a high metabolism in terms of months or maybe even years?

Full Details:
My self-made diet plan consists of ideas from a Professional Model, Navy Seal, and a Boxing coach. Ideas revolve around Vegan dishes, healthy meats, and protein buildup foods. Absolute no-nos are Sodas, High carb foods, and possibly foods with a Saturated Fat value.The foods I've researched that would work with me are as follows:

-Whole Wheat (Considered also adding Gluten to be a no-no, it messes with your small intestines in absorbing nutrients from your food)
-Brown Rice
-Quinoa
-Amaranth
-Seasonal Vegetables
-Fish
-Chicken
-Nuts
-Beans
-Yogurt
-Peas
-Soya based products
-Rice
-Carrots
-V8 Juices (select kinds, of course)

The plan for this diet is to lose the weight that I have, so I can work on building my physique a wee bit. Problem is, I've lived off of Peanut Butter and Jam sandwichs, Ham sandwichs, and sometimes on occasions when I'm out with people I eat burgers and drink sodas. Changing to this diet cold-turkey has been incredibly difficult for me, for lack of a better description. Most of the foods taste very bitter to me, especially Quinoa, but they are all extremely healthy for you. What is a good food to have that has a really nice, sweet taste that does not have alot of sugar or fat in it?

Another issue I believe is plaguing my mind is that I may be addicted to either the sugar or the fat from the foods I've eaten. Many foods contain both of these variables. I can't help but see them everywhere. They are even in my yogurt (10g of sugar per container, 0 fat). It can't be the caffeine from the soda I used to drink, I now drink over 5-6 bottles of water a day for weeks now.

On to another subject entirely, how long do you guys/ladies think it would take for your body to adjust from a low metabolism to a high metabolism in terms of months or maybe even years? That's all I can think of at this time. Thanks for reading. Much appreciated.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    unless you have damaged your metabolism from repeated VLCD and being anorexic/bulimic you don't have to worry about a slow metabolism.

Addiction to sugar and fat...hmmm I wont comment other than to say neither have the chemicals to produce an actual addiction, perhaps you love them but addiction...

to lose weight you need a calorie deficit that's it. You don't have to cut out whole food groups etc.

Just eat in that calorie deficit and you lose.

If you are concerned with health and nutrition that is when you look at macros/micros and ensure those are met.

I eat the food I want....I meet my protien and fat macro (you need fat in your diet to help absorb certian vitamins and minerals in other food) I stay in my deficit and lose weight..

my diary is open if you are wondering...yes I do eat fast food, chocolate, drink alcohol, soda (diet coke out of preference) etc.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Everything stef said ^^

Plus, if you're finding quinoa bitter, are you rinsing it enough before cooking it?
  • Smith332
    Smith332 Posts: 7
    Hmm, alrighty.

For the Quinoa, I did rinse it with a fine mesh strainer but perhaps I was mixing the seed wrong while I was rinsing it. I followed these instructions on how to cook it ( http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-quinoa-63344 ). I'll have to retry cooking this again. Practice makes perfect.

For stef, thanks for answering my questions. what do you mean by the macros/micros?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Hello, I'm a male who weighs 290 lbs and is eager to get a diet. This will be my 6th time doing this (did not own a vehicle in the past, now I do so things will be different) and I'm confident that this will work out just fine. I'll post my questions below:

-What is a good food to have that has a really nice, sweet taste that does not have alot of sugar or fat in it?
    -Could I of been addicted to either the sugar or the fat from the foods I've eaten?
    -How long do you guys/ladies think it would take for your body to adjust from a low metabolism to a high metabolism in terms of months or maybe even years?

Full Details:
    My self-made diet plan consists of ideas from a Professional Model, Navy Seal, and a Boxing coach. Ideas revolve around Vegan dishes, healthy meats, and protein buildup foods. Absolute no-nos are Sodas, High carb foods, and possibly foods with a Saturated Fat value.The foods I've researched that would work with me are as follows:

-Whole Wheat (Considered also adding Gluten to be a no-no, it messes with your small intestines in absorbing nutrients from your food)
    -Brown Rice
    -Quinoa
    -Amaranth
    -Seasonal Vegetables
    -Fish
    -Chicken
    -Nuts
    -Beans
    -Yogurt
    -Peas
    -Soya based products
    -Rice
    -Carrots
    -V8 Juices (select kinds, of course)

The plan for this diet is to lose the weight that I have, so I can work on building my physique a wee bit. Problem is, I've lived off of Peanut Butter and Jam sandwichs, Ham sandwichs, and sometimes on occasions when I'm out with people I eat burgers and drink sodas. Changing to this diet cold-turkey has been incredibly difficult for me, for lack of a better description. Most of the foods taste very bitter to me, especially Quinoa, but they are all extremely healthy for you. What is a good food to have that has a really nice, sweet taste that does not have alot of sugar or fat in it?

Another issue I believe is plaguing my mind is that I may be addicted to either the sugar or the fat from the foods I've eaten. Many foods contain both of these variables. I can't help but see them everywhere. They are even in my yogurt (10g of sugar per container, 0 fat). It can't be the caffeine from the soda I used to drink, I now drink over 5-6 bottles of water a day for weeks now.

On to another subject entirely, how long do you guys/ladies think it would take for your body to adjust from a low metabolism to a high metabolism in terms of months or maybe even years? That's all I can think of at this time. Thanks for reading. Much appreciated.

"The plan for this diet is to lose the weight that I have, so I can work on building my physique a wee bit. Problem is, I've lived off of Peanut Butter and Jam sandwichs, Ham sandwichs, and sometimes on occasions when I'm out with people I eat burgers and drink sodas. Changing to this diet cold-turkey has been incredibly difficult for me, for lack of a better description. Most of the foods taste very bitter to me, especially Quinoa, but they are all extremely healthy for you."

there is our problem right there…you can eat the foods that you like and lose weight. At 290 pounds you have a lot to lose…why not just eat a little bit healthier, continue to enjoy the foods you like, and eat less. In my opinion that is going to be way more sustainable for you, rather than going "cold turkey" and eating a bunch of foods that you do not like the taste of...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Hmm, alrighty.

For the Quinoa, I did rinse it with a fine mesh strainer but perhaps I was mixing the seed wrong while I was rinsing it. I followed these instructions on how to cook it ( http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-quinoa-63344 ). I'll have to retry cooking this again. Practice makes perfect.

For stef, thanks for answering my questions. what do you mean by the macros/micros?

macros = percent of carbs, fat, and protein that come from your diet..a standard set up is 40 protein, 30 fats, and 30 carbs…you can go into MFP custom settings and change the percentages…
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    unless you have damaged your metabolism from repeated VLCD and being anorexic/bulimic you don't have to worry about a slow metabolism.

Addiction to sugar and fat...hmmm I wont comment other than to say neither have the chemicals to produce an actual addiction, perhaps you love them but addiction...

to lose weight you need a calorie deficit that's it. You don't have to cut out whole food groups etc.

Just eat in that calorie deficit and you lose.

If you are concerned with health and nutrition that is when you look at macros/micros and ensure those are met.

I eat the food I want....I meet my protien and fat macro (you need fat in your diet to help absorb certian vitamins and minerals in other food) I stay in my deficit and lose weight..

my diary is open if you are wondering... yes I do eat fast food, chocolate, drink alcohol, soda (diet coke out of preference) etc.

^^This.

I have tried various methods of cutting out various things in the past and I always ended up 'falling off the wagon' because I missed whatever I had cut out or the new diet foods were too alien to me!
    This time I am still eating the foods I like and are easy for me to make etc, I just count the calories to make sure I'm not eating too much of it. This time it has been so easy (ok, it took the first week to get used to eating less, but fine after that) and I don't feel like I'm on a 'diet'! If I'm craving something, I'll eat it, I just make sure the amount I'm eating will still fit into my calorie allowance. I think when you think of it as a diet you are subconsciously telling yourself it's temporary and are waiting for it to end, but eating your normal foods in a smaller amount will feel like nothing's changed!