No one to run a 5k with!

Options
2»

Replies

• emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K yesterday with 3 people from work and a friend of one of theirs. It was a Colour Run, so it ended up being more about the fun and getting as messy as possible but as soon as we set off I wished I was running alone!

One girl and her friend ran off straight away (they were super quick) and then the other two stuck with me (the slowest), but we shot off at a pace so much quicker than what I'd usually run that I faded quickly!

I'm definitely thinking of doing some park runs / 5Ks over the summer on my own though - then I can focus on my own pace.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Where are you located hun! I have the same problem. I dropped out of the Color Run because I didn't want to do it alone.

Good point, I'll run a 5k with you if your anywhere near London

I'm in the Midlands in England. I would seriously love it if i could meet some people from mfp but distance is always an issue
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    All the other comments, plus...find someone here to "run" with. A bunch of rowers have their own category here, and we participate in virtual challenges together. It's really fun, because we share common goals of weight loss (or maintenance) and then we cheer one another on when we note that others have been meeting or exceeding their goals.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    About 100 years ago I did a 5K by myself after finishing C25K (the first time) I didn't mind at all that I was by myself. I had a great time! I'm slower than molasses and I got pass by many geriatric runners, children and even a small dog! BUT, I had a blast and the sense of accomplishment was unreal.
    So I am really looking forward to doing another 5K (as a "newbie") at the end of next month. I don't have a partner this time either, but I'm just looking forward to the pretty scenery and the "Go me!" feeling after I get through the finish line.
  • TheChicGeekDee
    TheChicGeekDee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chloe, try joining Parkrun and doing some runs. I love the social aspect of it, have made new friends and look forward to it every Saturday. It has even encouraged my youngest daughter, who is 16, to start running again because she knows that she is not on her own, and that she can run/walk it if she wants and that there are other teens there too.

You will get to know other people and then find running buddies. It's free, so worth a shot :D
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Most people do not run together, and if you're really running, your not talking.

I always sign up for stuff alone and make friends at the after party/festival/tent, then go take my shower. Once in a blue moon, I can talk someone into a race but we just meet up at the end.

Go for it, 5k will be fun!!
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do it, I ran alone all the time and I like it. I'm doing a 5K in June alone too. I am not in super good shape but I think I can do it!
    I am currently doing the C25K running program. I'm at week 5.

Just go for it, you will meet new people and maybye make some friends.

I'm sure you can find a Running Club in your area, google it.

We are not only one running alone!!!
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wanted to run a 5k so bad, but didn't have anyone willing to do it with me. I signed up anyway and did it by myself. I was really nervous about it, but once I got there and started the race it was fine. I didnt trip and fall like I was afraid of, and you probably wont be dead last. I ran faster than I have ever run in my life during that race. The other people there will motivate you to push yourself. I say just sign up and do it! You will not regret it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, but I actually prefer to run alone, that way I don't have to keep up, or slow down for someone, just put in the earphones and go for it.

A lot of them also have pre-race training groups, does yours? You might meet some new people!
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I ran my first race alone, I run most of my races alone, you usually find someone who runs at the same pace you can chat with
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just do it!