Attitude adjustment..

Options
I just had to share, since I'm sure I'm not alone in these thoughts. I know that a big reason I have a weight problem, is that I love to eat. I love food and everything related to it, cooking shows, recipes, even shopping for We know that perspective is such a big part of successful lifestyle change. Typically I wallow in the deprivation aspect of counting calories etc, and I often walk around feeling annoyed and/or anxious about what I can't have (or can't have as much as I'd like of..). However, if I dwell in the gratitude zone, I can be happy that I am back in a place of being healthy and more in control. My weight is going down, and I actually really enjoyed the measured, but still "enough" portion of (life-changing-ly delicious) lobster ravioli I had for lunch...even MORE than I would have, had I eaten without restraint :)) Yay! Grateful!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why do you wallow in deprivation? why can't you have the food you want just in smaller portions...

If losing weight meant no chocolate to me...I wouldn't lose weight...
  • trueboo
    trueboo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't, anymore. But there have been times I have. I figured lots of people did. But maybe I'm wrong about that. I thought that's what held me back from doing this sooner, not wanting that deprivation. If it was so simple, and easy, I would have done it a long time ago. But I guess I had to progress to the point that you already are at.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you're "wallowing", you're doing it wrong.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't, anymore. But there have been times I have. I figured lots of people did. But maybe I'm wrong about that. I thought that's what held me back from doing this sooner, not wanting that deprivation. If it was so simple, and easy, I would have done it a long time ago. But I guess I had to progress to the point that you already are at.

that's great that you are there now...I think lots do actually, we all did at one point...

It's always my first piece of advice when people ask me how I did it....answer..."I didn't give up anything just ate smaller portions of it"...
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When I'm healthy and in a good place emotionally, I notice that I don't really think about food at all, even though I LOVE it. When I'm in a funk, food is all I think about - what I can have, what I shouldn't have, why can't I eat more, when is my next meal, what recipe should I try... I really want to get to a permanent healthy relationship with food. I want it to be a small part of an otherwise well rounded life. :smile:
  • trueboo
    Options
    I think my point was more regarding the perspective shift. from negative and fearful, to positive and hopeful. I wasn't advocating "wallowing" I agree that's not the way to go about it. But for someone who has misused food, even portion changes can be depressing at first.
  • trueboo
    Options
    When I'm healthy and in a good place emotionally, I notice that I don't really think about food at all, even though I LOVE it. When I'm in a funk, food is all I think about - what I can have, what I shouldn't have, why can't I eat more, when is my next meal, what recipe should I try... I really want to get to a permanent healthy relationship with food. I want it to be a small part of an otherwise well rounded life. :smile:

Totally agree! :))
  • Ariadne83
    Ariadne83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think your passion for food is a negative thing at all. Maybe you could actually use it to help you make the changes you want. For example, you could use your interest and knowledge of recipes to source, test and make new recipes and share them on a healthy food blog. There are a lot of food bloggers who, for example, found out they were intolerant to something. After feeling crappy for a while they then turned their experiences of having to eat differently into a blog, and some of them now have book deals, for example this girl (I have her book and it's great):

http://www.theintolerantgourmet.com/

I think it's important you don't see any lifestyle changes as going from 'having' to 'lack.' You can still eat foods you enjoy, but just in moderation. And you'll probably find the healthier you get the more you crave healthy food. Also, what you might 'lose' in terms of eating unhealthy food you'll gain much more in other ways - your body, your mind, confidence, clothes will fit better etc.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You're lucky in that you can cook. I hate hate hate cooking. But I am a fantastic baker. A fantastic baker with no restraint!

When I was diagnosed diabetic, it was a complete turnaround for me. There are things I simply cannot have any more.

Moderation-I repeat-moderation does not work for everyone.

There are things I could technically work into my carb allowance, but it's not worth it to me. So, I say nope, diabeetus, and carry on. If I could cook though, my meals would be so much better than meat/veg than they are now. I'm starting to learn, but it's just no fun.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I just had to share, since I'm sure I'm not alone in these thoughts. I know that a big reason I have a weight problem, is that I love to eat. I love food and everything related to it, cooking shows, recipes, even shopping for We know that perspective is such a big part of successful lifestyle change. Typically I wallow in the deprivation aspect of counting calories etc, and I often walk around feeling annoyed and/or anxious about what I can't have (or can't have as much as I'd like of..). However, if I dwell in the gratitude zone, I can be happy that I am back in a place of being healthy and more in control. My weight is going down, and I actually really enjoyed the measured, but still "enough" portion of (life-changing-ly delicious) lobster ravioli I had for lunch...even MORE than I would have, had I eaten without restraint :)) Yay! Grateful!
    Great attitude shift!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I used to fall for all that BS too ..no carbs after 7pm, sugar is bad for you, six small meals a day for metabolism, make sure you eat breakfast or you will go into starvation mode…bla bla bla bla …

now, I just eat the foods that I like, do my heavy lifting routine, adhere to macros, and stay in calorie deficit….
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options

You are not wrong - I have been here also. I am a food lover too and even the idea of restricting/limiting what I enjoyed made me anxious. I am better now, but still have my moments. What some of these responders don't seem to understand is that some people have a hard time with limiting food. Food addiction is a very real thing, and will-power is not everyone's strong point.

I appreciate that you have found a way to be grateful for finding self-control and enjoying the food you love in smaller portions. Changing your attitude about calorie counting and portion size has ultimately allowed you to succeed at this weight loss thing! But you should know it is OK to over-indulge from time to time. It won't hurt you or ruin your success as long as it is not a daily thing.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great post, OP!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

I used to fall for all that BS too ..no carbs after 7pm, sugar is bad for you, six small meals a day for metabolism, make sure you eat breakfast or you will go into starvation mode…bla bla bla bla …

now, I just eat the foods that I like, do my heavy lifting routine, adhere to macros, and stay in calorie deficit….

Oh snap! Me too, me too, me too
  • trueboo
    Options
    I want to say a thank you to the responders that jumped in saying they understood what I was trying to say. It feels good when someone gets it!! :)) It's the whole reason I posted about it.. I just wanted to share that it doesn't have to be a negative feeling, and for those of us who associate these types of lifestyle changes with a form of loss (and I'm not talking about weight here, haha!), at least in the beginning when the substituting and restricting portions is still new.., I just wanted to share that sometimes a perspective shift can eliminate the feeling of distress and replace it with a win. :)