keto diet,

Options
shakatan
shakatan Posts: 3 Member
Hi I'm new to the forums. Is any one using the keto diet? I am currently on a high fruit diet which is obviously high carbs, but I'm reading around the keto diets and wondering do they work? Do you lose body fat as quickly as they say you do, and lastly how do you get started.

Replies

• Kristielynn1982
    Kristielynn1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on the keto diet and its working out so far. I'm losing weight and also body fat %. If you go on website ruled.me.com there's allot of great information about it and gives you keto calculator to find out your macro % (carb protein and fat)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Like any other diet keto works by creating a calorie deficit.

Those who are most successful long term eat the same foods they always have done but in smaller portions. There is no need to cut carbs from your diet.

Any 'diet' which eliminates food types will only work while you're following that diet. i.e. Keto will only work long term if you follow a low carb lifestyle forever.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Atkins (just for a pinup contest at the end of the month) to lose some belly fat. I started Tuesday the 13th and as of the morning of Saturday the 17th, I've lost 6 lbs...and I even had some alcohol (which is a no-no) on Friday night. Zero carb beverages, which totally sucked 'cause I'm a beer girl but hey...
  • teekaleek05
    teekaleek05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there Ive been doing keto for a month...fell off just last week but starting again tomorrow because I find that's what works for me. Yes its true caloric deficit is the key to weight loss but being in ketosis allows me to do that a lot easier because being in a state of ketosis gives a natural appetite suppressant...plus carbs and SUGAR Just make me feel absolutely awful!
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    I've lost ~50 lbs since mid December by just reducing my calories. As much as I hear about the magic of keto, I'm in the 'eat whatever you want, just less' camp. The only real major changes I've made otherwise, is just reducing fast food to once or twice a week.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Keto leads to a bunch of initial water weight loss (10 pounds or so on average) but doesn't lose any more fat than any other diet method.
  • IslandSeeker
    Options
    If quick weight loss is strictly what you are seeking, then Keto diet may be the way for you, or it might not, it all depends on your habits, likes & willingness to forgo certain foods for a period of time. If you have other health issues that you would like to address, I would encourage you to look into the Primal diet (lifestyle really, as it is meant for a lifetime not for quick weight loss). Some may consider it to be like Keto, but it is not as you eat way more carbs per day and there are other lifestyle differences. I switched about 5 weeks ago and I am already seeing huge health differences, but not all related to weight loss - but differences that even weight loss cannot touch in terms of true health.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the forums. Is any one using the keto diet? I am currently on a high fruit diet which is obviously high carbs, but I'm reading around the keto diets and wondering do they work? Do you lose body fat as quickly as they say you do, and lastly how do you get started.

you will lose body fat, but it will not be faster then with a regular old calorie deficit….
  • suzettewhatever
    Options
    5 years ago I lost 50 lbs by moderating my standard diet and exercise.
    While its true I made the classic mistake of jumping back to old habits, and thus gained about 20 lbs back, Im doing keto now to get off the white stuff for good.

Its worth while to do some research into how and why keto is a viable option for caloric maintenance. It can really change your outlook anout how you think a out food.

My problem is that Im a small person with a desk job. On any diet my caloric intake for maintenance is really small. Just 1200 calories at goal weight.

Because carbs cause blood sugar spikes I was always feeling unsatisfied with a 1200 caloie diet. I was hungry all the time even as I avoided sugar and pumped my diet full of veggies and "complex" carbs.

I dont want to spend my life feeling hungry . or all my free time exercizing away the sins of the day.

So I am following a keto diet to reset my metabolism and find my sweet spot of diatary balance and maintenance.

Honestly a keto diet isnt for everyone. but the science makes a lot of sense. Once I read a few books on the subject I knew it was right for me. Ive always loathed family pancake breakfast because I was starving just 2 hours after stuffing myself. I havent eaten cold cereal in years. But. after reading the books I now know WHY eggs and bacon keep me full and that I wasnt harming myself following my intution and eating what made sense to me.

I repeat - look into keto. Losing weight is a beneficial side effect but its not the kind of thing you do casually. Sure you can lose the weight but unless you understand what you will do after the weight is gone....the weight will just come back.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I have lost fat faster than any other diet before. It worked great for me as it fits my body type. I worked with a guy who trains bunch of NFL players in the off season and he recommended me this diet. It makes sense because this is how body builders and some pro players lower their body fat by reducing the carbs. I was amazed at the bod pod test every week on how much fat I was losing. Also get your RMR tested, which is usually wearing a mask which measures your Vo2 and VCo2.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have lost fat faster than any other diet before. It worked great for me as it fits my body type. I worked with a guy who trains bunch of NFL players in the off season and he recommended me this diet. It makes sense because this is how body builders and some pro players lower their body fat by reducing the carbs. I was amazed at the bod pod test every week on how much fat I was losing. Also get your RMR tested, which is usually wearing a mask which measures your Vo2 and VCo2.
    Bodybuilders don't reduce carbs to lower body fat. They reduce carbs right before a competition to drop water weight and help dehydrate themselves to make the muscles pop out on stage. Carbs are pretty essential for muscle building, you won't find many successful low carb body builders or athletes, unless they are temporarily cutting to make weight, because they can manipulate lots of water weight in a short time temporarily.

Calorie deficit lowers body fat.
  • shakatan
    shakatan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have to say I am losing weight steadily two to three pounds a week, which I am pleased about because I have been laid up due to recurrent back issues. I've had two surgeries now and expect a third.:-( but non the less I'm losing it. I'm following the 80/10/10 because it made sense to me and I wanted to test it it features simple carbs....
    I haven't been able to get back to the gym which I LOVE, so I needed to do something. I am losing muscle but that's due to inactivity, I used to do heavy weights (for a woman) so my metabolism was decent. I will continue reading around the way of eating though. The inactivity is driving me nuts, can't believe how quickly I'm tired an out of breath! I'm reusing the muscle memory theory :-/
  • ittmax
    ittmax Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I been on it for about 125 days just shy of 100 pounds lost its a pretty good program I like meat eggs and veggies though. I would have to say the 2nd biggest challenge is the water intake body weight / half in oz is the same as being a human water filter. 1st place will always go to the human brain in my case if I stopped getting in the way of myself everything is golden :)

All that aside its a great program I don't miss the bad foods I used to eat.