Flank Steak ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Needs more posts.

I do a greek steak similar to this, but mine replaces lemon zest with lemon juice and includes some orange zest and fennel. This one is served with pita, but I do a lovely salad with red onion, cucumber, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, feta, and tzatziki.

http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/02/greek-steak-pita-with-tzatziki-sauce.html

Japanese miso is savory (umami) and makes a good broiled or grilled flank. Go with sake or mirin instead of sherry if you are able, and I personally add a splash of rice vinegar. My housemates have food allergies so we use South River Chickpea Miso to make it soy free/gluten free. Serve with pickled daikon, cucumber, and carrot. Maybe a small side of steamed rice? I know you don't like spicy, but anyone reading whose interested might like it serve with wasabi mashed potatoes (or cauliflower, if that's your thing).

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/644644/miso-steak

Um... Burgundy Peppercorn Marinade is a steakhouse classic. It's actually really sweet once it's cooked. I buy steaks in a local store's own house sauce like this and it's sweet and tender by the time I cook it since it's been marinading for a few days already. There are a lot of variations of it, not all of them healthy, but I bet you could easily tweak a recipe to reduce oil content and retain flavor. It's good with dilly grilled potato salad (German style) and sauerkraut/red cabbage or corn on the cob. Similar recipe below, can be made with dry red wine, burgundy or zinfandel:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Flank-Steak-242598
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I like marinating mine overnight in a marinade of tequila, lime, olive oil, lime zest, cilantro, salt, pepper, powdered garlic, powdered onion, cumin, ground chipotle pepper (though you can leave off that last one to avoid it being spicy).

These of course are best when grilled outside next to the pool or beach and served with margaritas and corn tortillas.

OMG that sounds awesome... Could you use this on chicken???.

Absolutely

Can you leave off the olive oil, lime zest, cilantro, salt, pepper, powdered garlic, powdered onion, cumin, ground chipotle pepper and meat?

Sure. That works really well when you just substitute tofu for the whole thing, then throw that out, and go to Wendy's for a triple.
    I was just going for the straight tequila. After that I can't really drive to wendy's or anywhere really.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like marinating mine overnight in a marinade of tequila, lime, olive oil, lime zest, cilantro, salt, pepper, powdered garlic, powdered onion, cumin, ground chipotle pepper (though you can leave off that last one to avoid it being spicy).

These of course are best when grilled outside next to the pool or beach and served with margaritas and corn tortillas.

OMG that sounds awesome... Could you use this on chicken???.

Absolutely

Can you leave off the olive oil, lime zest, cilantro, salt, pepper, powdered garlic, powdered onion, cumin, ground chipotle pepper and meat?

LMAO!!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A bulgogi marinade is fantastic on flank steak

1/4 cup soy sauce
    2-3 tablespoons mirin
    3 cloves minced garlic
    2 tablespoons oil (either sesame or peanut)
    1 teaspoon grated ginger
    cracked black pepper to taste
    a couple stalks chopped green onions

Some people use sugar instead of mirin. If you use sugar, a tablespoon should suffice.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Question-if I can't find flank steak, what is a comparable cut?

Really, most of these recipes can be subbed any cut of red meat. You could try for a skirt steak, sirloin, or even chuck. I think round is pretty tough, but just about anything else.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Really, most of these recipes can be subbed any cut of red meat. You could try for a skirt steak, sirloin, or even chuck. I think round is pretty tough, but just about anything else.

Some are even good for pork or chicken as well.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It's also called flap meat.

I'm really glad I've never seen it called there as it's a revolting name for meat LOL
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

This sounds amazing!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    A bulgogi marinade is fantastic on flank steak

1/4 cup soy sauce
    2-3 tablespoons mirin
    3 cloves minced garlic
    2 tablespoons oil (either sesame or peanut)
    1 teaspoon grated ginger
    cracked black pepper to taste
    a couple stalks chopped green onions

Some people use sugar instead of mirin. If you use sugar, a tablespoon should suffice.

Please to check your PM's for directions to my house. The flank steak is on the counter. I'll be in my bed with covers up to my neck as the AC's blaring a little to high right now. I'm picking up a bottle of wine and some white rice to go with that. :drinker:
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My family loves this recipe:

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/crock-pot-beef-carnitas-tacos/779339?code=A44832FF8D939992

Can be as spicy (or not) as you'd like.